Popcorn Machine Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn Machine Recommendations

So, we're looking to replace our current machine. It's a 1936 Burch World's Fair model. In short, it's tired.

Was wondering if anyone had a particular model or brand they've really enjoyed? (Too bad Manley wasn't around....)

I have my eye on the Cretors Mach 5 at the moment. Any of the extra upgrades worth it? I would prefer a model with a base for storage, etc. It would really clear up some counter space I use for corn storage and the like. Hoping to add additional concession items with the extra space.

Just wanted anyone's 2 cents on the matter. We're a 200 seat single.

Two years ago I bought a new Pop Maxx machine. This is it here on my counter:

20191108_162017.jpg

It replace an identical Pop Maxx machine that I had been using for about fifteen years until the kettle developed some issues and it turned out that I could buy the whole new machine for not much more than just a kettle.

Before that I had a Star machine that I used from the day I opened and for the following ten years until it fell apart, literally. The Pop Maxx is much cheaper than most of the other brands and it works just as well. I'm also not a fan of machines where you can't easily take the kettle out to clean it every night -- with this one you just unplug the kettle and lift right out.

Comment

Ours is a Cretors Diplomat that we got new in 1996. To date we have put exactly one repair part into it: The heating element in the bottom tray ("Cornditioner," as they call it). The kettle is not removable but it is easy to clean -- our crew has it down to about a 10 minute job every night. The only other thing I've done to it is replace the filters, but other than that it's been trouble-free.

The best feature of it, for my money, is that Cornditioner, because it blows hot air through the popped corn and keeps it from getting soggy in high humidity. We usually keep whatever corn is left over from a shift for the next day, except on Wednesdays when we empty it all out and deep-clean the machine. We actually have a lot of regulars who HOPE we have day-old popcorn because they say it's even better the second day.

If you don't want to spring for a new machine the used market is pretty good for them, from what I've heard. Look in a Boxoffice magazine's classifieds and you can often find equipment dealers that sell used equipment.

Comment

Depending on where and how often this machine is operated, think about getting one with integrated exhaust and filters.

Comment

Yes, I for sure want exhaust and filters. I can still see and smell the acrid oil all over this building when we took over. Decades of free flying oil in the air was not good to anything.

Right now I pipe the exhaust from the Burch's fan outside to the front of the building. (It actually exhausts right over the front door!) I love hearing people talk about how the whole block smells like popcorn when we are open.

Mike, I do like the sound of the "Cornditioner". Michigan is almost exclusively swamp land in the summer. Especially this year, and there can be a notable difference in how long the corn keeps. I do the same as you in the winter. But, just doesn't pan out in the humid summer days.

I was sort of interested in the integrated pump for topping they have available. Would be another nice space saver....however it's on a timer as well. And I can already hear people saying "put more on it". Seems like it would just slow things down.

Comment

About a decade ago, I worked at several old theaters that had Creators poppers, and one thing I always liked and respected is that if I needed repair advice and called Cretors, I very often wound up talking directly to the great grandsons the founder of the company. At that time Cretors was still a 100% family owned business. (Perhaps it still is, I don't know.) But I do know that they were always very helpful to me, and I was always quite impressed that I actually got to speak to a member of the original Cretors family, and not just some flunkie at an offshore call center.

Comment

Yeah, when I ordered our new heating element, a guy from Cretors called me and asked me what shape the heating element was. "We used some that were just cylindrical and some that were cone-shaped," he said. We had the cone-shaped one, so that's what we got. I was amazed that they still had that little tid-bit of knowledge still onboard 25 years after the machine was made.

Comment

If its a Cretors you send it to them and have a total reuild done. When you get it back, its like new...

Comment

We used Cetors in all 11 of our theatres......some 32 oz some 48oz. I don''t know of a better popper.

Comment

Keep in mind that Cretors' smaller poppers don't have a filter at least not over here in Europe. The mid-range models do have disposable filters, which already help to minimize the amount of oil, but only the large poppers (20oz or larger) do have an exhaust.

Furthermore, I think that if you have the budget, Cretors is the way to go. I know a few places here that went for some cheap Chinese-built products, which is probably fine if you like the taste of burnt popcorn...

Comment

Our previous Cretors lasted 37 years. We did have to do lots of repairs in the final years. Our new one (2016) is holding up fine. We now have exhaust and filters and I'd highly recommend getting them.

Comment

You are welcome to check out our Mach 5 32oz. The only thing I dislike about it is the machine has an abundance of sharp edges that I had to put rubber edging on. For the price (I believe $7k+ about 8 years ago) a little chamfering or edge rolling of the SS parts would go a long way. We ordered the machine with the stainless kettle upgrade and use the pump we had with our previous machine. Our Cretors Hollywood from the 40's had better build quality and made slightly better tasting corn, but was requiring monthly repairs at the end of its life.

Comment

If its a Cretors you send it to them and have a total reuild done. When you get it back, its like new...
                          Mark, what are you referring to here?

Comment

Since you are in Michigan, I would suggest contacting Grand Rapids Popcorn. Not only do they make a lot of popcorn for their retail store, they supply concessions supplies for fairs, carnivals, etc.. They are nice people. You can pick their brains.
                            We use an older machine so I can't give any advice myself.

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

I pretty much have settled on the Mach 5. I had a feeling it would largely be Cretors as the top brand.

I hate to see the Burch go as it still looks great. But even if it wasn't acting fussy, the kettle design with the motor sitting right on top makes me dread having to clean it.

Adam, I've been meaning to make my way up there at some point to see a film. Last one I saw there was The Revenant I believe. I used to bounce between the Pines and the Ideal back before we took over here.

I also wanted to check out Mark's down in Crystal. Mark, the place looks great! I was glad to see someone had finally bought it. Been following since.

Comment

Working...
                              X