Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood Movies Flood Piracy Sites Hours After Release

Hollywood Movies Flood Piracy Sites Hours After Release

Bootlegging and sharing high-quality digital copies of movies is easier than ever, as studios leaned harder into streaming during pandemic

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hollywo...se-11629797400

By
    R.T. Watson
    and
    Erich Schwartzel
    Aug. 24, 2021 5:30 am ET

How Scarlett Johansson’s Disney Lawsuit Could Change Actor Pay
    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT
    0:00 / 5:48
    2:46

How Scarlett Johansson’s Disney Lawsuit Could Change Actor PayWith more films being released direct to streaming services, stars like Scarlett Johansson are asking for a bigger cut of the at-home, early access profits for movies like Marvel’s “Black Widow.” Here’s a look at how streaming is changing film distribution in Hollywood and what that could mean for how actors get paid.
    By
    R.T. Watson
    and
    Erich Schwartzel
    Aug. 24, 2021 5:30 am ET

Millions of people are watching high-quality, pirated online versions of Hollywood’s top movies sooner than ever after their releases, undermining potential ticket sales and subscriber growth as the industry embraces streaming.

Copies of several of the year’s most popular films, from “The Suicide Squad” and “Godzilla vs. Kong” to “Jungle Cruise” and “Black Widow,” shot up almost immediately after their premieres to the top of the most-downloaded charts on piracy websites such as the Pirate Bay and LimeTorrents, according to piracy-tracking organizations.

“Black Widow” was the most pirated movie world-wide for three consecutive weeks after its July 9 release, according to TorrentFreak, a site that monitors pirating activity, while copies of “Jungle Cruise” proliferated across the internet just hours after its digital premiere later that same month.

The speed of access to illegal, DVD-quality copies of new movies is a recent phenomenon. Previously, high-quality duplicates mostly hit piracy sites months after a film’s theatrical release. Sometimes poor-quality versions could be downloaded, but they were often created by people in theaters filming with camcorders or cellphones, and many deemed them unwatchable.

Piracy experts and theater executives say the proliferation of higher-quality illegal copies becoming available sooner threatens revenue that studios and streaming services could be collecting at box offices and by adding subscribers.

Really?! How dare they! And... who could have predicted this?

Comment

Thank God the studios are protected withDCP's and KDM's!

Comment

I am shocked!

Comment

I don't think this is strictly because there are more movies available by streaming. I think there's something else, to consider.

With more people staying at home because of the virus, there are more people watching TV so one would think that there's more of a market for copied movies. Then, when there are more people with idle time on their hands, there are more people available to make copies of movies.

Yes, I think that streaming is important but I also think that there are changes in the market for movies, in general, and copied movies, in specific, that lie under the surface that people might not think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin McCaffery View Post
            Thank God the studios are protected withDCP's and KDM's!
            And that HDMI includes HDCP to prevent this kind of thing!

Comment

Working...
            X