"It isn't over yet"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It isn't over yet"

With some movies (like the final beating in F9) where there's another scene that comes up after however-many minutes of credits, I just tell people who are on the way out when the credits start that "It isn't over yet". And everyone says, "Really?" and scuttles back to their seats to watch what they would otherwise have missed.

Tonight I told a couple of people that and then when another woman started leaving and I said, "It isn't over yet", she seemed really offended. "What, do you mean I can't go to the bathroom?" I was really taken aback and didn't know what to say since I've never had any reaction to me telling someone that other than "Thanks". I just said "you can do whatever you want, but I'm just letting you know that if you want to see the end of the movie, it isn't over yet."

First time anyone's ever been offended. Most people appreciate the information.

She obviously took it wrong. She probably thought that you wanted to insist on her watchng the movie to the end 'as a rule'. Shit happens. People take the same words differently.

Comment

Perhaps it would be worth putting up a "card" on the SPL right before features with "more movie" post/during credits to let patrons know in advance (get their groans out of the way first).

Comment

We did the opposite with (I think) Avengers Endgame. Placed cards before the movie stating that there are no After credit scenes. Really! Promise! Nothing! Nada! Go Home!

Our staff really liked it.

Comment

Instead of these after credits scenes, why don't they go back to putting the credits before the movie like back in the day if they want to entice people to watch a bunch of names scroll by? Is it really that important for the audience to know who the Dolly Grip was? I'd bet that if you offered a $10,000 prize to any audience member who could tell you the name of the Rigging Gaffer immediately after watching the credits, the only people who could possibly answer are relatives or friends of said Rigging Gaffer (or maybe somebody with a photographic memory).

Comment

Remember when it was a cool "thing" to put bloopers in during the end credits? This is just the latest version of that.

I used to try to tell people as they were leaving that there was "more to come," but half the time they would come back out and tell me "well THAT wasn't worth waiting for." So these days I just say nothing and figure the true fans will suspect that there is something and wait. I have the occasional few who ask on the way out if there's any mid-credits scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post
              I'd bet that if you offered a $10,000 prize to any audience member who could tell you the name of the Rigging Gaffer immediately after watching the credits, the only people who could possibly answer are relatives or friends of said Rigging Gaffer (or maybe somebody with a photographic memory).
              The credits are there, mainly, for professional reasons.

My girlfriend’s father was a producer and he would almost always stay until the lights came back up.

He stayed as a courtesy, for sure, but he also studied those credits and took mental notes. He knew many of those people by personal or business association but if he saw a name that he recognized he would store it in his memory banks for use on future projects.

Sure, the credits mean little to the average Joe unless he wants to know the name of a particular person, place or song seen in the movie but people in the business do pay attention to credits and use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Stankey View Post

The credits are there, mainly, for professional reasons.

My girlfriend’s father was a producer and he would almost always stay until the lights came back up.

He stayed as a courtesy, for sure, but he also studied those credits and took mental notes. He knew many of those people by personal or business association but if he saw a name that he recognized he would store it in his memory banks for use on future projects.

Sure, the credits mean little to the average Joe unless he wants to know the name of a particular person, place or song seen in the movie but people in the business do pay attention to credits and use them.
                That's why I don't understand the after credits scenes and things to get the average Joe to stay and watch them. I personally like to watch them, especially if there is a good score over them. Not that I pay much attention to the names.

Comment

The "important guys" get their names up individually or maybe two or three at a time, but then there's a wall-of-text that shows about fifty names at a time, scrolling far faster than anyone would possibly read even if they were actually interested. Even a "professional" won't notice the name of the dolly grip or the second assistant caterer when it's presented that way.

What's wrong with a reasonable number of credits being shown during the opening theme of the movie and the movie ends with "The End"? At least people might pay attention to that. This way "I got my name in the credits for Movie X" but it doesn't actually mean anything.

Comment

Back in the film days, when there were never enough prints, I always thought they should put all the credits for a movie on a one-sheet-sized poster and ship that in with the film. The theater could display it next to the auditorium for anyone interested. I figured they could use the footage wasted on credits to make a few more prints. 10 minutes x 4000 prints = enough footage to make another 300 prints or more. They could do the same thing these days, except using a website.

I'd love to go back to the days when a lot of the credits were at the beginning. It gives you a few minutes to get settled into the mood of the movie, instead of having that jumped-in-with-both-feet feeling when all you get is the title, or often not even that.

Comment

You might not get the title but you always get six logos for whoever put up the money....

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post

That's why I don't understand the after credits scenes and things to get the average Joe to stay and watch them. I personally like to watch them, especially if there is a good score over them. Not that I pay much attention to the names.
                        I liked the way they did it with movies like "Smokey and the Bandit."
                        They would roll credits over the end of the last scene of the movie then show some outakes and bloopers before fading to the final credit roll.

There might be a stinger at the end but no plot twists or maybe even a "Coming Soon" teaser.

Comment

I don't bother telling people, but I've had people ask before which is kinda nice since I don't have to wait on them if there aren't any. I always just wait a minute or two into the credits looking up if there's another scene.

I think the best way they have to keep you watching the credits are how some kids movies do it, have some extra fun animations/jokes , but then there's Black Widow out now with 9 solid minutes of a wall of text followed by a a scene the whole theater has stayed for.

Comment

I love the Marvel fans who now stay through tne end of all movies then utter an audible "awww..." when there are no end credit scenes.

Comment

There is a website where you can look up a movie and it will tell you if there are post credit scenes. Never go to the movies without checking it first!

http://www.aftercredits.com
                              Last edited by Mitchell Dvoskin; 07-12-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X