Here Comes Windows 11....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Comes Windows 11....

Windows 11 is going to be released this commimg Holiday season... And I thought 10 was supposed to be the last one... I'll probably wait at least a couple years before I even.try it...

Link to article...
    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mi..._headlines_hed
    Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 06-24-2021, 04:40 PM.

Yessireee!!! I have tested Sensible Cinema Software on it and everything just works with no compatibility issues and no need to run anything in compatibility mode. I must say, having seen the keynote and having had hands on it a few days that it is chocked full of brand new features hardly anyone will ever use. In the words of SNL's Fred Armison in drag as The View's Joy Behar, "So What, Who Cares!"

Comment

I'm wondering why they're even calling the update "Windows 11." There is nothing fundamentally new going on "under the hood." Overall, the vast majority of changes appear to be cosmetic in nature. It's basically a fancy "skin" for Windows 10.

I'll wait awhile before updating any computers I use to to the new OS (if Microsoft allows me to wait). Gotta be sure the update doesn't break anything.

Comment

I an just starting to get TMS on Windows 10. Its working fine so far. Customers seem less afraid of 10 now than they did when it was new.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Henderson View Post
          I'm wondering why they're even calling the update "Windows 11." There is nothing fundamentally new going on "under the hood." Overall, the vast majority of changes appear to be cosmetic in nature. It's basically a fancy "skin" for Windows 10.

I'll wait awhile before updating any computers I use to to the new OS (if Microsoft allows me to wait). Gotta be sure the update doesn't break anything.
          Yeah, this whole thing turns out to be more like a feature update than an update worthy of a real new version number. Then again, what are new versions nowadays? Firefox is at version 89 right now, every tiny update gets a bump of an entire version number, but at least I know on what version I am.

So, I guess there are three reasons for Microsoft to part ways with Windows 10:

- Keeping stuff at Windows 10 forever with only making the distinction in a vague build-number confuses the heck out of people. Meanwhile, the first build of Windows 10 has become a vastly different product than the current build version of the same thing named Windows 10. Yet, there are compatibility issues between the different feature-pack releases.
          - I've heard this will be a free upgrade for anybody with Windows 10, but if you want to sell somebody some upgrade, then you better name it differently. I'm not going to pay for Windows 10, if the thing I already have is also Windows 10.
          - Last but not least: Apple recently left the "X" behind and bumped their MacOS version to 11, they also introduced round corners on everything...

Comment

Grab yer earplugs, they've cranked all this stuff up to eleven!

Comment

Well, it looks like a fairly large number of computer users will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 when the update is released later this fall.

The minimum system requirements are going up: a minimum of at least a dual core 64-bit CPU, 4GB of RAM, at least 64GB of storage space and a graphics board or chip set compatible with DirectX 12.

Here's the kicker: Windows 11 will not install if the PC lacks a security chip that supports Trusted Platform Module (aka TPM) version 2.0. It's a device that's designed to store login information. Not all PCs have such a chip, especially PCs that are more than 5 or so years old. Of the PCs that do have TPM capable chips, many of those chips will have to be turned on in the computer's BIOS settings. Windows 11 will also require Secure Boot.

People are keeping personal computers longer than ever. I strongly doubt the hardware requirements for Windows 11 will make a difference. Anyone who is satisfied using an old PC that seems to be working just fine will not be in any hurry to upgrade.

Comment

I run Windows on VMWare Fusion on my Mac. So far I have successfully clean installed Windows 11 twice, but I have not successfully upgraded any Windows 10 virtual machine. After going through the process to completion (takes about 30 minutes) it begins the "installing updates" phase then reboots with a "Rolling back your machine to its original state." message. Then it returns to Windows 10 unchanged. Researching this suggests there is a problem with software on the system that is incompatible with Windows 11. So far nothing I have seen is.

Win11.jpg
                Last edited by Rusty Gordon; 06-25-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Henderson View Post
                  Well, it looks like a fairly large number of computer users will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 when the update is released later this fall.

The minimum system requirements are going up: a minimum of at least a dual core 64-bit CPU, 4GB of RAM, at least 64GB of storage space and a graphics board or chip set compatible with DirectX 12.

Here's the kicker: Windows 11 will not install if the PC lacks a security chip that supports Trusted Platform Module (aka TPM) version 2.0. It's a device that's designed to store login information. Not all PCs have such a chip, especially PCs that are more than 5 or so years old. Of the PCs that do have TPM capable chips, many of those chips will have to be turned on in the computer's BIOS settings. Windows 11 will also require Secure Boot.

People are keeping personal computers longer than ever. I strongly doubt the hardware requirements for Windows 11 will make a difference. Anyone who is satisfied using an old PC that seems to be working just fine will not be in any hurry to upgrade.
                  Combine this with the current hardware shortage and you'll see how much incentive there will be to upgrade: Zilch. I guess Microsoft will start reversing their decision soon enough, or people will just stay on Windows 10 for the foreseeable future, just like many just stayed with Windows 7 as long as they could.

Software developers really should step-up their game and make their stuff work under Linux. Dick moves like invalidating all hardware older than 4 years or so for your newest, most shiny OS is not going to go down well with people and they will look for alternatives. This whole TPM combined with secure boot limitations. has been a pain in the butt for too long too. It's just a way closer for those big companies to take your control away.

Comment

If you want to check if your current Windows system is compatible with Windows 11, you can install the Microsoft Health Check app.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                      If you want to check if your current Windows system is compatible with Windows 11, you can install the Microsoft Health Check app.
                      I tried Health Check on mine. It says I have a 1TB SSD which I do not. I actually have 1TB 3.5" HGST drives on a hardware raid 1. It also says my computer is three years old and it's more like eight... So much for their "Health Check"., it's not very Healthy!

Comment

But did it pass?

My notebook did pass, but my workstation, a 4-CPU 16-core-per-chip Xeon affair, didn't, because the 1.5 year old CPUs are "unsupported"...

Comment

Have not tried either notebook yet and probably won't bother. I am in.a similar situation with my workstation. But it did not tell me why. I am.just going to.ignore 11 like I did 10 for as long as I can.

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone on what I had mentioned about not being able to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11. First, I did finally do this successfully. Something on the machine was corrupt to start with. For months it has not worked with the PIN instead of the password at startup. Trying to set up the PIN again repeatedly failed. Also, it would not install the latest Windows 10 updates including multiple failures installing the features update to move from 20H2 to 21H1. It would not let me remove any prior updates. Finally, I used a backup dated just after installing 20H2, then, I successfully updated from Windows 10 build 20H2 to build 21H1 using the manual Windows update manual you can download from Microsoft. After successfully installing that last Windows 10 build, I moved on and successfully installed Windows 11. The virtual machine with Windows 11 is setup with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB Drive. I'm just now at the stage where I am testing everything, but it all seems to work fine.

Comment

I ran lots of stuff under VM Ware when I had my server rack back in SLC> But scaled down now and have two workstations and a NAS.I have no intere4st in Wind Blows 11, just like I avoided Wind Blows 10 as long as I could. But I know it's a lot different for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X