No announcement yet.

Kicking the small town theater's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those lawyers don't pay for themselves either.
    The US Gov't pretty much quit worrying about monopoly practices in the exhibition business around 1983. I was quite surprised when AMC was forced to divest of a few of its Carmike properties when it bought the chain. But with the liquidation of the shell company that bought the divested theatres, AMC has the theatres it wanted back again.
    Should the Justice Dept decide to look into booking practices, they will get a lot of mumbo jumbo about "efficiencies of scale" and mostly shrug and walk away.

Comment

The relevant people inside the government usually "worry" about those, who most who either pay into their coffers and/or who bring them their votes during the next election.

So, it helps to get organized. That's also the only realistic way to pay for those lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
        I wish I had an address where I could tell the kids and parents to send their complaints to. We tried...

Same here. This is probably the only film I recall anyone calling me to inquire about besides Godzilla. Just today someone remarked after purchasing a gift card that they'd be back to see us for Peter and I'm just going................ehhhhhhhh.

Comment

I tried to get Peter Rabbit for the week of June 11th for two weeks but couldn't. I was working with our Sony rep who said he was trying to get the movie to us but as of Tuesday when I had not heard anything, I had to make the decision to go a different direction. We are showing Godzilla this week and A Quiet Place 2 next week. just buying time for F9. After F9, we will show Black Widow followed by Jungle Cruise so it might be a while before we show Peter Rabbit, if we show it at all.

Comment

I doubt we'll show it. If we play Black Widow (which is a 3-week commitment, but I've already got lots of people asking for it, so you do what you gotta do) it will be 7 weeks old. 7 weeks x 7 = 49 days, which means it'll be out on pretty much everything by then. Maybe we'll use it for a free matinee later in the summer or something, since they will have sucked all the ticket value out of it by that time.

I suspect the big chains (AMC, Regal, etc) offer to pay a lot of money to studios to guarantee that only they get the big titles on break.
            I doubt that's the case. It doesn't make sense here anyway, because there are no big chains within 100 miles of us. And we've been able to get just about every other title we ever wanted on the break, especially kids movies.

It's like these studios are taking turns pissing everyone off. First Warner Bros. ruined their slate with HBO Plus. Then it was Disney who screwed the whole summer schedule with their insane Luca decision. Now it's Sony's turn with Peter Rabbit. I wonder who is lined up to pull the next dumb move?

But hey, at least they are all going to CinemaCon (and fuck it, we are going to CinemaCon too. I'm spending that SVOG money before we get it!)

Comment

We had hoped to open PR2 on June 18th before they moved up the opening date by a week. We already had In the Heights booked for 6-11, and they wouldn't let us book PR2 for next weekend, the second weekend, even if we committed to two weeks. So maybe we'll wait for a week in July.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Lane View Post
                I tried to get Peter Rabbit for the week of June 11th for two weeks but couldn't. I was working with our Sony rep who said he was trying to get the movie to us but as of Tuesday when I had not heard anything, I had to make the decision to go a different direction. We are showing Godzilla this week and A Quiet Place 2 next week. just buying time for F9. After F9, we will show Black Widow followed by Jungle Cruise so it might be a while before we show Peter Rabbit, if we show it at all.
                You're not missing much. PR2 is doing okay at our theater but until a few days ago Cruella was matching it even though it was going into it's third week.

Comment

I think it's terrible that Sony cut out all small town theater's nationwide. And my personal opinion is it would have done really well for us and most small theater's ,we purchased kid packs to match the movie now we have 250 packs that we will use on other movies. The kid's are the reason most small theater's stay open,we all know it's not the money. LOL It will be streaming soon so most small town kid's won't get to see it on the big screen.
                  Nate

Comment

Given the fact that Peter Rabbit 2 was a disappointing debut, it must have been a real pile of rabbit turds.

Comment

Yep agree totally,but that first week would have helped our bottom line. And the kids that aren't fortunate enough to get to go out of town would have loved it.

Comment

Actually, I think Peter Rabbit 2 is pretty good! I watched it yesterday and will be playing it here starting tonight.

I quite enjoyed it. It's a nice family comedy with lots of bright colours and action.

Comment

I'm surprised you were able to get it this week... they usually won't take anything new in the second week. or was it released a bit earlier in Canada?

Comment

As far as I'm aware, this is its second week.

For whatever reason I play a lot of stuff from most of the film companies on its second week. Always have...

Comment

Working...
                            X