No announcement yet.

Why the "New Normal" at Theaters May Mean a Premium Experience for Moviegoers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the "New Normal" at Theaters May Mean a Premium Experience for Moviegoers

Why the "New Normal" at Theaters May Mean a Premium Experience for Moviegoers

As vaccines roll out, restrictions lift and theaters reopen, audiences have been willing to pay more for an enhanced experience because — after a year stuck at home — "why do the ordinary?"

More than a quarter of moviegoers returning to theaters for Godzilla vs. Kong have paid an upcharge of $3 to $5 to experience the monster spectacle in Imax and on other premium large-format screens, both in the U.S. and around the globe. That's well above the norm.

The expanding appetite for an enhanced theatrical experience has given the film and exhibition business a shot of confidence and a weapon against streamers amid devastation caused by the pandemic. Yet it also means theaters that don't offer upscale sight and sound, plush seats and other amenities might struggle to lure customers.

"People have been sitting in their living rooms for a long period of time. When they go out, they want something really special," says Imax Corp. CEO Richard Gelfond. "In many places, there are some screens that are kind of small and not that different from televisions in the home. As we all come out of this, we're going to say to ourselves, 'Why do the ordinary?' "

Warner Bros. and Legendary's Godzilla vs. Kong — the first Hollywood tentpole of 2021 and the first to launch after Los Angeles and New York City theaters were finally allowed to flip on the lights — opened to a mighty $48.1 million in North America despite capacity restrictions in top markets and the continued closure of many theaters (45 percent). Through April 25, the film's global total stood at more than $400 million, including more than $86 million in America.

A larger portion than usual is coming from premium large-format (PLF) screens, including Imax, Dolby Cinemas — AMC Theatres' partner in the U.S. — and Cinemark XD. Even Alamo Drafthouse has its own PLF brand.

In the U.S., approximately 27 percent of audiences are seeking out premium large formats to see Godzilla. Usually, that is closer to 15 percent. "People coming back to theaters are seeking out the most premium presentation first," says Jeff Goldstein, president of domestic distribution for Warner Bros. Adds AMC executive vp worldwide programming and chief content officer Elizabeth Frank: "We are seeing more evidence that patrons are planning their night out. There is more demand for PLF showings and private screening parties."

The importance of such foot traffic can't be overstated in the fierce arms race between theaters and streamers, which have flourished during the pandemic — especially as the COVID-19 crisis triggered the collapse of the traditional theatrical window. Godzilla vs. Kong, for example, debuted day-and-date on HBO Max.

"From an industry perspective, we anticipate the shift to a shorter theatrical exclusivity window will increase the significance of PLF offerings to exhibitors," says Dolby Laboratories' Doug Darrow, senior vp of the Cinema Business Group. He adds that on Godzilla’s opening weekend, PLF screens generated 25 percent of the total box office despite accounting only accounting for 3 percent of all screens in North America.

Imax is the only member of the PLF club that discloses grosses. The circuit has been doing huge business in countries where box office has recovered, beginning with China, Japan and other Asian markets. Chinese blockbuster Detective Chinatown 3, for example, set a record for Imax opening-weekend admissions in China (2.1 million), and Demon Slayer: Mugen Train has become the highest-grossing Imax film of all time in Japan with more than $27 million in ticket sales.

A "premium" theatrical experience also includes state-of-the art digital projection and sound, out-of-the ordinary environs, plush seating and expanded food and drink offerings.

But there are no guarantees, even for upscale houses. Decurion Corp., a Los Angeles-based real estate company, stunned the industry by announcing in early April that it was closing ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theaters, including the ArcLight Hollywood and the adjoining Cinerama Dome. (The two chains had not reopened since the pandemic began.) Sources say there are numerous suitors who would take over operation of ArcLight Hollywood, but so far, Decurion is remaining mum.

Meanwhile, upscale chains Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas and Studio Movie Grill — one of the first chains to offer swanky dining — were able to emerge from pandemic-induced Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after winning over financing partners.

“When we talk internally, we feel like we aren’t competing against other movie theaters, but against all of entertainment," says Studio Movie Grill CEO Ted Croft. Adds Alamo co-founder Tim League, "Offering a banner experience has been our business model since the very beginning in order to differentiate ourselves. As we approach a new normal, venturing outside the house needs to be special, perfect and amazing."

Or, as one studio exec says, "people aren't going to leave their homes for fold-down seats, sticky floors and crappy concessions."

Ignoring the financial aspects for a moment, I wonder if the end of the theatrical window might lead to improved presentation quality. Commercial theaters are now competing directly against home theaters.

Small screens, cropped & unfocused images, screwed-up sound, poor sight-lines, and audience interruptions won't cut it.

I can follow that, and have been saying for years.
    You can't just reopen and do the usual cheapo. If exhibition wants to survive, it has to concentrate on enhanced services, seating, comfort, cleanliness. And censorship free image and sound. We can't offer low contrast, dim images, with 5.1 sound played thru a 1980s sound system. Images have to be bright, contrasty and meet HDR specs, sound to be full frequency, and with a bass response required for digital soundtracks. In theory nothing new, but which average room did actually follow the Dolby guidelines for Dolby stereo theatres, published around 1990.
    That means, it's better to close all those locations, which can't be updated, or better said rebuild to meet SMPTE specs in respect to frequency response and sound transmission class to the next room.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post
      I can follow that, and have been saying for years.
      You can't just reopen and do the usual cheapo. If exhibition wants to survive, it has to concentrate on enhanced services, seating, comfort, cleanliness. And censorship free image and sound. We can't offer low contrast, dim images, with 5.1 sound played thru a 1980s sound system. Images have to be bright, contrasty and meet HDR specs, sound to be full frequency, and with a bass response required for digital soundtracks. In theory nothing new, but which average room did actually follow the Dolby guidelines for Dolby stereo theatres, published around 1990.
      That means, it's better to close all those locations, which can't be updated, or better said rebuild to meet SMPTE specs in respect to frequency response and sound transmission class to the next room.
      To that I would add:
      • Curtains, proper masking.
      • No commercials (trailers are fine, but more than a few is annoying)
      • Start on time
      • Short subjects
      • Start the show with one presenter. I am not interested in a seemingly endless list of investors and their cute logos.
      • Speaking of ending, "The End" over the closing curtain is fine. I am not interested in who provided lunch to the production crew. No Easter Eggs in the credits crawl needed (I left the theater 10 minutes ago).
      • A HUGE screen please. Big is good, but I already have Big at home.
      Tip for investors: Don't do "in theaters and on demand" simultaneously; 24 hours after it is streamed, it is available to download for free anywhere on planet Earth.

Comment

I love curtains, but I can live without them. They're seemingly seen as too old-school by some folks and they're pretty expensive, so I'd love to just see proper masking making a re-entry in the market. Many people got extreme contrast OLED screens at home now, they know what it looks like if borders are really black and not some shade of grey.

Those endless commercials really need to be done for and cut back to a minimum. I'd say, those commercials should be entirely gone. I don't have commercials on Netflix either. Some trailers is still fine, but don't overdo it. Most people don't mind to know what's coming up for them and a good trailer can be a worthwhile experience on its own. And please, also give trailers the respect they deserve and show them properly. As for those who produce those trailers: Screw your god awful stinking compression algorithms. No. really, fuck you with a rusty chainsaw! Bring your soundmix down to a normal level!

I agree, those Easter eggs in the credits and at the end of the credits should really be done for. Yeah, it was all cool and gimmicky for a while, but we get it. Let people just exit during the credits in an orderly fashion, instead of having them hanging around as some kind of zombies somebody forgot to pick up. Maybe the movie should be kind to the audience and politely tell them there is no more junk for them hidden in the credits.

As for the release window: That one has now shrunk forever. Meanwhile, Disney added a boatload of subscribers to Disney+, boosted their stock price to infinity and beyond and them being the biggest elephant in the room... don't expect that ever to return to the way it was before...

Comment

To Ed’s list I would add the presence of ushers, and in-person introductions of the feature immediately before the lights go down. I always enjoy those when I see them. It is an opportunity to remind the audience of the etiquette and also inform them of any extra credit scenes there may or not be.

Ushers are unlikely to return to mainstream cinemas I know, but I don’t see why there can’t be more live intros, especially on busy screenings. It has to be the cheapest way to enhance the experience for the audience.
          Last edited by Matt Smith; 05-02-2021, 06:16 AM. Reason: Added another thought!

Comment

I don't really get why an in-person intro is seen as a good thing or a necessity. I am there to see the movie, I don't need some guy down in front telling my how good the show I'm about to see is. The idea of welcoming people to the theater is admirable, but that's what the out-front staff is supposed to be doing.... making people feel welcome.

I suppose I mainly say this because I hope it doesn't become an "industry standard," because I would suck at it. I hate talking in front of people. I'm not even super good at one-on-one. I'm a much better behind-the-scenes guy.

I also know what would happen eventually if this becomes a big thing -- you would have bored teenagers forced to stand down there and deliver the pre-show spiel, and it would inevitably turn into what happens at Disney World -- the bored teens rattle off the spiel so fast you can't understand a word of it.

Comment

I have enjoyed the intros at Landmark theaters. Some background about the movie, the people involved in it, etc. is interesting. Also, the preshows at Alamo are nice since they are related to the upcoming movie.

Harold

Comment

While it's not classy to show ads and it certainly makes the presentations absolutely nothing like the roadshow presentations of the past, but they really don't bother me because they're long before the stated showtime and in the theaters I attend, the houselights are about half up. IMO, no one is paying attention and I'm surprised that the advertisers find it valuable, but apparently they do.

And it's unrealistic to believe that theaters are going to kill ads. They need every bit of revenue they can get. In 2019, AMC had over $404 million in "Other" revenue. That's revenue other than Admissions and Food & Beverage. Now that could include private theater rentals, but my bet is that most of it is advertising. They're not going to give that up.

It's also unrealistic to believe that co-production and finance companies are going to give up their credit at the beginning of a film, but really, how long does that last - 40 seconds? And it also serves a purpose - it gets the audience to settle down.

Curtains were nice, but IMO, they only make sense in luxurious theaters. I don't see any point of having curtains in black boxes and cinder-block theaters. It's like showing up at a shopping mall movie theater in a tuxedo. I just want my theaters to get the sound and projection right and I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Brooks
                  And it's unrealistic to believe that theaters are going to kill ads. They need every bit of revenue they can get. In 2019, AMC had over $404 million in "Other" revenue. That's revenue other than Admissions and Food & Beverage. Now that could include private theater rentals, but my bet is that most of it is advertising. They're not going to give that up.
                  I can imagine that it will be hard for those chains to let go of this source of income. But I bet that when you ask any moviegoer about their primary annoyances, those commercials will turn up in the top 3. I'm pretty sure those annoyances tear into theaters ticket sales. I may not be Joe Average, but I know that I actually have chosen theaters based on their pre-show habits in the past.

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                  I don't really get why an in-person intro is seen as a good thing or a necessity. I am there to see the movie, I don't need some guy down in front telling my how good the show I'm about to see is. The idea of welcoming people to the theater is admirable, but that's what the out-front staff is supposed to be doing.... making people feel welcome.

I suppose I mainly say this because I hope it doesn't become an "industry standard," because I would suck at it. I hate talking in front of people. I'm not even super good at one-on-one. I'm a much better behind-the-scenes guy.

I also know what would happen eventually if this becomes a big thing -- you would have bored teenagers forced to stand down there and deliver the pre-show spiel, and it would inevitably turn into what happens at Disney World -- the bored teens rattle off the spiel so fast you can't understand a word of it.
                  There are more important things for me, so a personal introduction isn't really high on my list of stuff I'd want to see returning. And you're right, if it ends up being just a "forced pre-show spiel" like in many of those theme park attractions, then it's best to be avoided. I remember a somewhat hipster Dutch cinema chain doing this in front of every show, the results weren't uniformly stellar to say the least...

That being said, it does have its value for certain kind of shows and a certain kind of audience, at least if it's done right and delivered with some enthusiasm. Something like an exclusive preview for example or any show with some special event tacked onto it. Also, the local art house still tends to do those and they inform you about stuff like: There is nothing in the credits worth watching or, we've added a 15-minute making-off after the credits for you, so if you want to see that, please remain seated. Since most of the folks that work there are into movies and do mostly seem to like their job, it's usually delivered with some level enthusiasm and I do appreciate the service.
                  Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 05-04-2021, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Curtains were nice, but IMO, they only make sense in luxurious theaters. I don't see any point of having curtains in black boxes and cinder-block theaters. It's like showing up at a shopping mall movie theater in a tuxedo. I just want my theaters to get the sound and projection right and I'll be happy.
                    Curtain prevent people from throwing shit at the screen before the movie. Keeping marks, stains, and other crap off the screen is a part of "getting the projection right."

Comment

Curtains

Curtains are both practical and beautiful. On a practical level, they exist to protect the screen from dirt and dust when movies are not being shown, and on a more ethereal level, they provide a barrier between the world we live in and the new and exciting world we, as an audience are about to see. It is widely (though not universally) thought that the projectionist should never show his or her audience a white screen, and a curtain helps with this.

Many projectionists like to start and end a show "on the curtains." This means that the projector dowser is opened at the same time you hit open on your curtain control, and the film's studio logo or opening credits project onto the curtains as they open, creating a beautiful ripple effect. There is actual evidence that this is a "correct" procedure: when Twentieth Century Fox began releasing films in CinemaScope, their logo was extended so that there was enough time for curtains to open fully over the wider image (the pre-CinemaScope Fox logo runs about 10 seconds, the 'Scope logo is about 20). At the end of a show, curtains are closed over the Studio Logo (or whatever the last "card" is, such as the MPAA blue band card).

Comment

I think it is a bad idea to lean further into an economic situation that makes cinema going difficult for average people on any regular basis. There is room and demand for inexpensive theater experiences, and those don't mean you have to do a bad job to achieve reasonable pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post

Eons ago when I worked for General Cinema, we did the in person welcome on crowded shows on Friday and Saturday night. It was done to differentiate us from competitors in the area. At the time we also had a hostess who stood out in front of the box office welcoming people dressed up in a mini skirt.

Comment

This may sound curmudgeon-like, but when I see theaters with reserved seating, table service in leather recliners, gourmet food offerings, etc. I think to myself, "why are they trying so hard to attract affluent middle aged patrons who are unreliable movie patrons and sacrificing the business of teens who would go to the cinema every week no matter what, if only they could afford it?" Teens don't have to arrange for babysitters and can go anytime. Teens don't plan far enough ahead to reserve seats but want to meet up with their friends and see a show and sit together. Teens don't have credit cards in many cases--necessary to book online reserved seats. But teens WILL show up week after week, eat actual profitable concession items, and in some cases view the same film over and over again. They'll even buy tickets for the dreck that most adults won't watch. Make the tickets $18 and they will stay home, Netflix and chill and never become the few affluent adults who care about seeing movies in a theater.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Jones View Post

Curtain prevent people from throwing shit at the screen before the movie. Keeping marks, stains, and other crap off the screen is a part of "getting the projection right."
                              It's actually far cheaper to replace the screen than it is to install and maintin curtains.

Comment

Working...
                              X