Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Theaters Reduce Hours

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rticleId=58167

Some circuits are going further and closing locations in smaller markets on certain weekdays.

Only a month after beginning to reopen where allowed, struggling U.S. movie theaters are retreating and reducing their hours of operation as Hollywood studios continue to delay tentpoles including Wonder Woman 1984 and Black Widow because of the ongoing pandemic.

That means the next big event pic isn't until Nov. 20, when both James Bond installment No Time to Die and Pixar's Soul are scheduled to unfurl over the Thanksgiving corridor. Hopes are high that both films will restart the box office recovery.

Many circuits, including AMC Theatres, Regal Cinemas and Cinemark — the country's three largest chains — are beginning to limit the number of showtimes, as are scores of other chains and independent houses in order to reduce costs, sources say.

Some, including Cinemark and Marcus Theatres, are going further and closing a small number of their cinemas on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. About 15 or so Marcus theaters and a dozen or so Cinemark sites in smaller or relatively quiet markets have been impacted. Whether other companies follow suit remains to be seen.

In a comment to The Hollywood Reporter, a Cinemark spokesman said that approximately 75 percent of the circuit is open.

"Cinemark's reopening plan was thoughtfully and strategically designed with multiple contingencies in place to ensure we are able to be nimble and react as needed to the ever-changing environment," the circuit said in the statement. "That said, we will evaluate opportunities to align with demand, including reducing operating hours while we await new studio content to encourage theatrical moviegoing."

The lack of Hollywood studio product poses a serious dilemma for cinemas, which have spent millions on new safety and social distancing protocols in the campaign to lure consumers back to to theaters in the COVID-19 era, including reduced capacity.

"It's going to be a horrible October," says one studio distributor.

Theaters reopened where they were allowed in time for Christopher Nolan's Tenet, which unfurled over Labor Day weekend. However, without New York and Los Angeles in play, the $200 million tentpole has struggled, grossing $41 million domestically through Sept. 27. Exhibitors had hoped that Tenet would be followed by Mulan, but that tentpole was sent straight to Disney+ at a premium price in the U.S. over the Labor Day frame.

Wonder Woman 1984 had been set to open Oct. 2, but Warners pushed the sequel to Dec. 25 days after Tenet debuted. That was followed by Disney moving Black Widow from Nov. 6 of this year to May 2021. The impact of the shifts was immediate.

According to Comscore, there were 3,453 out of roughly 6,o00 North American theaters back in operation over the weekend of Sept. 18-20, as more jurisdictions allowed moviegoing. As of now, that number has been reduced to 3,350.

New indie studio Solstice Studios, founded by Mark Gill, provided the first new wide release when opening the Russell Crowe road-rage thriller Unhinged on Aug. 21.The film has earned $17.1 million to date domestically.

On Sunday, Solstice warned in a box office note that October would be challenged because of reduced showtimes and closures. The indie studio said it will make every effort to run promotions and help incentivize cinemas to stay open.

Some in the film industry are optimistic that cinemas in Los Angeles may be allowed to reopen in the coming weeks. Ditto for New York City. The two cities are the biggest moviegoing markets in the country.
    The (larger) theatre about 20 miles from here opened for a couple of weeks in July and then re-closed, and none of the other smaller theatres in this are have re-opened at all.

I'm the last man standing. I had thought that people would come here from some of these other places to see a movie, but that's not happening either.

I thought I had finally found a winner when I got 25 people here this past Friday for Jurassic Park. Woo hoo! Biggest crowd I've seen since all this started, finally found a movie that people want to see!

I've had 0, 1 or 2 people here to see it every night since so I guess it was a one night wonder. Sigh...

My costs to show a movie (or not) aren't that high since I don't have any labour costs. I turn on the lights and unlock the door; if nobody's here by showtime I lock up again and switch the lights off. Ultimately, I might be breaking even these days, at best. I don't know how theatres that have to pay a three hour minimum wage could do it.

Originally posted by Article
    However, without New York and Los Angeles in play, the $200 million tentpole has struggled...
    It looks like Los Angeles is not going to be in play in the near future, either. LA County's Board of Supervisors just voted to allow nail salons, indoor malls (at 25% occupancy and with food courts closed) and "cardrooms" (have such things ever existed since the days of Wyatt Earp?!) to reopen; but not only do movie theaters have to stay closed, but they've actually tightened up the rules to make popup drive-in venues more difficult:

Originally posted by New LA County Protocols for Drive-Ins
    This protocol applies to both established and new drive-in movie theater operations. All drive-in movie operations must have sufficient infrastructure, staffing and training to meet all physical distancing, face covering and sanitation requirements. Established facilities with an established workforce, bathrooms and permitted food facilities are more easily able to meet safety requirements. Requirements specific to new drive-in operations being set up in parking lots and other spaces that are not pre-established drive-in movie businesses are listed at the end of this protocol.

Drive-in movie theater operations must be managed by a single employer in charge of the site, who will take responsibility for the ongoing training and screening of all staff, provision of all needed equipment and materials, the monitoring of adherence to all safety measures during any showing and obtaining approvals from local zoning and city officials, if required.

Live drive-in events (e.g. concerts, live performances) are not allowed at this time. Drive in theaters may project livestreamed content that is filmed elsewhere as long as the filming adhered to the requirements detailed in Appendix J.

Any food service must be from an on-site licensed restaurant, permitted concession stand, or prepackaged food from a market permitted by Environmental Health. Food may be purchased and picked up onsite or ordered through third party delivery services and delivered to the customer’s vehicle. These food facilities must adhere to all applicable restaurant and/or food service reopening protocols. Attendees may bring their own food. Temporary concession stands and other food facilities (e.g. catered food, food trucks, food carts) are not allowed.
    So no drive-in live entertainment or roach coaches, basically. The latter in particular will kibosh a lot of the popups that were being planned.

Comment

Re: cardrooms.

In the town where I used to live there was a semi-secret 24-hour rolling poker game in a room behind the coin laundromat. As far as I know it never stopped. 24/7/365, decades on end. It's probably running still.

Comment

I continue to be baffled by the "whack-a-mole" regulations put forth by these officials who never seem to actually speak to operators to ask what they can do to make customers safe. Also the double-standards of allowing things one place but not another. Food trucks would be a perfect solution for these venues, live performances as well. It might allow people who can't operate their regular location to team up with a drive-in location and save their businesses. Here in Ontario, we were the last province to be allowed to open drive-ins, but only after shaming the government for weeks in the press. We'd all spent thousands to alter our food service to honestly "safer" standards than the food courts already operating, but we weren't allowed to sell food. We figured out we were the ONLY places who couldn't. Eventually we all just opened our food service because we exceeded any distance and operational guidelines in place at any other food outlet. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart and all the other big boys chugged along, with most independent outlets closed, they grabbed all the business and were more crowded than ever. I'm not at all sure how gov'ts back themselves out of this corner having scared everyone to death over something that won't go away and is unlikely to have some magic cure either.

To me there needs to be more thought given to the consequences of these ever-changing dictates. Thinks like you see in the UK where all of a sudden they decide the pubs have to close at 10. All at once. So you get a street party instead of small groups of friends drinking in small pubs until they get tired at random times and go home. These things make no sense to me, just not practical.

Comment

And the live entertainment ban: why are you more likely to catch C19 sitting in the bed of your pickup watching a guy play a guitar 150 feet away (which would be CCTV-ed to the movie screen anyway), than you are sitting in the bed of your pickup watching a movie on a screen 150 feet away?!

Comment

> And the live entertainment ban: why are you more likely to catch C19 sitting in the bed of your pickup watching a guy play a guitar 150 feet away than you are sitting in the bed of your pickup watching a movie on a screen 150 feet away?!

Just a guess, but at a live (via CCTV) concert, you are are more likely to be drinking adult beverages which could lead to more reckless behavior.

Comment

Here in San Francisco, theaters have finally been given the OK to open next week (Oct 7, Y2k20) but if it's anything like the last few 'opening' announcements they've made, if too many people cough or sneeze between now & then, the openings could be put on "hold" again.
              A couple of small theater operators told me that just because they "could' open, didn't mean that they would. The wanted to take a "wait and see" attitude and let the bigger chains open first since 1) there's really not a lot of product; 2) they weren't sure if people in general were comfortable coming back into a theater environment yet, and so they wanted to wait & let the big chains open first and absorb the risk.
              A few told me that at this point they felt they'd be losing less money by staying closed than by incurring the extra labor & materials costs of re-opening and complying with all the the covid regulations and restrictions, AND, to quote one of the the re-opening rules posted in both the SF Chronicle and on DEADLINE on Sept 29th, "Theaters, when they re-open, can't sell concessions" Also, as on e theater owner put it- - he wanted to wait and see if there was any ""up-tick" in covid cases once theaters re-opened. "You know how vicious social media can be'; he said to me; " all we need is for one patron to claim they got sick at my theater (whether it's true or not) and that will be it for my business. I might as well just burn the building down"
              (I suggested he let me know if & when he does that so I can get a few of my things outta the booth...)

> Also, one theater operator told me that he had been offered a 35mm print of "TENET" if he re-opened a couple of weeks ago. I told him that's the first time I'd head of any 35mm prints made. So, I don't know if there actually are, or aren't, any 35 prints, but that's what he told me earlier this week when I ran into him on the street and we were discussing the re-opening situation for a few minutes.

Comment

On the news yesterday they showed a few CineMark/Century Theatres South of San Francisco opening this past week and selling the whole auditorium out to private rich kids birthday parties. I wonder when you buy out a movie space do they make you sit apart or can you sit all over the cinema?

At $12 per matinee seat and you have 25 paid party people It's not a bad deal to watch a private movie and have the whole screen to your group. Hope no one is sick in the crowd.

The lobby refreshment counter loves the extra private candy/drink/popcorn business these rental movie parties bring in. The larger the cinema space the more people can join in.

It can be fun as most people know one another It can get a little noisy during parts of a film.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Dvoskin
                  Just a guess, but at a live (via CCTV) concert, you are are more likely to be drinking adult beverages which could lead to more reckless behavior.
                  Hmm ... I'd be surprised if this is an actual, significant risk, though not at all surprised that five politicians sitting in a room, who have likely never visited a drive-in in their lives, might perceive it to be. Fixing things that ain't broke (and breaking things that work) is basically the job description of a politician, after all.

Since the C19 crisis started, I've done a few screening support shifts for a drive-in south of LA, for some movie premieres and live, satellite concerts - basically, hanging out in the booth, ready to act in case anything breaks down or blows up. Even at a live stream Garth Brooks gig, where you might expect that sort of thing to happen, there appeared to be no crowd issues at all. There was applause and horn honking at the end of each song, but that was it.

Around half the customers at a drive-in show will be drivers (and so won't be drinking anyways), and the venue itself doesn't sell booze. There is little you could do to stop people smuggling it in, I guess, but I haven't seen any evidence that this is an actual problem, as distinct from a hypothetical one.

Comment

We've run 4 of these "Encore Drive-In Nights" concerts. Plenty of people drinking beers or smoking weed. Certainly a lot more beer drinking than we'd ever see for movies (ie: usually we pick up one or two cans TOTAL and often none at all). You'd be surprised how many weed smokers you'll find for kids movies by the way. No irresponsible behavior, just laughs and sing-a-longs, normalcy. We tend to have a very respectful crowd usually, but we've had no problems.

Comment

Lawton, OK is not a huge market, but the latest changes here to schedules are likely happening elsewhere.

AMC's Patriot 13 theater is now on a 3 day schedule, only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I can't tell if the showtimes are reduced on those days since this week's schedule isn't loaded on their web site yet. They had been running daily previously but with only a couple shows per day in a limited number of auditoriums. The rival theater in Lawton, the New Vision Central Mall 12, is closed since New Vision is being liquidated. AMC now has the legal go-ahead from the Dept of Justice to reacquire this theater it was forced to divest when it bought Carmike Cinemas. I strongly doubt AMC will re-open the theater considering the mall lost 2 of its 3 anchor tenants and JCPenney may end up dying soon as well. A defense technology business incubator is going to go in the old Sears building and it may expand to the abandoned Dillard's space. But I can't see an old 1970's era mall whose anchor tenant square footage is being converted into office space as something that can sustain a nearly 20 year old, outdated multiplex with tiny auditoriums. My hope is that a new (and bigger) theater gets built in the downtown area -after the pandemic ends.

Finally we have our old Vaska Theater, which hasn't been operating full time in years. It's a small miracle they were able to get a d-cinema projection system installed. They're only able to show old content, such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show. But they're trying and trying to make the movie-going experience fun. They've done a few "drive-in in the parking lot" screenings as an adjustment to the pandemic.

Comment

We were scheduled to go 'weekend only' starting today but then got the news that the whole chain is closing so

Comment

From my personal experience here and based on what I'm reading, theatre attendance and revenue is about 10% of what it usually is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/05/b...-shutdown.html

This article says:

This past weekend, 2,931 U.S. movie theaters were open, about 57 percent of the country’s total. They generated a mere $12 million in box office receipts. The box office totals from the same weekend a year ago reached $150 million, buoyed by the release of “Joker,” which alone earned $96.2 million.
                          So I don't think my 10% overall estimate is all that far off.

I don't see how any business can survive over the medium term with only 10% of their expected revenue. Staffing levels, lease payments, auditorium numbers and sizes, operating loans and mortgages are all predicated on the business operating at the same level it has in the past. There's no way that the fixed costs of operating are suddenly going to be 10% of what they were previously.

Comment

Just saw the news that the re-make of Dune is being postponed to October of 2021. Other big movies are being kicked like the can farther down the road.

Comment

I wish the studios would think outside of the box a little bit. They say they're waiting for New York and L.A. I'm beginning to wonder if they are now looking at this as a way to just get rid of the theater industry. "Let's just wait until they're all out of business and then we will have a FLOOD of amazing home TV releases to cash in on."

It's not like there is no alternative to what they're doing. They COULD release the movies, have 75% or whatever of their revenue and maybe be happy, but they aren't even wanting to do that. Maybe there is some ulterior motive that's only being discussed in the highest level meetings.

Hey, it seems like everyone's got their conspiracy theory so I guess that can be mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X