Regal Cineworld UA Berkeley 7 CA About To Demolished Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regal Cineworld UA Berkeley 7 CA About To Demolished Opinion

The old classic huge United Artists Theatre in Berkeley is about to be torn down for more apartments and condos for students that now only have one 3 plex left in the Berkeley CA area. . None are in the downtown area. The UA has been around since 1932. Once a large single screen huge cement & steel building. The original giant proscenium stage stays hidden behind all the divider walls they put in when Regal chopped up the former downtown Berkeley movie palace to make more money.

Thanks to my friend projection guru Jim Cassedy who alerted me to this article and the nice opinion by the Fox Grand Lake Theatre Oakland CA owner Allen Michaan. Check out some of the interesting comments people have made even me Terry.
    Save the UA Berkeley hopes that landmarking the theater's exterior will raise awareness about its historical and architectural value.

A good example of what could be done is the Granada Theater in Santa Barbara, California. Saw an amazing documentary last week by director April Wright about the restoration of the Granada for its upcoming Centennial celebration while we were at the drive-in owners conference in Orlando. Sadly in most cases, if you don't own it you don't get a lot of say about what happens to it.

Comment

Looks like last week the Landmarks Preservation Commission did not vote on landmarking the inside of the UA Theatre only the front marquee exterior.. The wrecking ball will be soon be visiting this old huge movie theatre building in downtown Berkeley CA. I think the new apartment owners are going to keep part of the deco lobby as a entrance into the new structure.

Comment

Working...
      X