Castro Theatre Closed For Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castro Theatre Closed For Remodel

This past Sunday was the last day for San Francisco's Castro Theatre closed for the big remodel for almost two years. We will miss the seats but the place will shine again soon with a new organ, surround sound ,ac, portable moving seats, color lighting ,new curtains, neon marquee repainting, rugs and plenty of new bars set up on the main floor for the hi priced music shows coming in. Not too many movies in the future, Goodbye Castro Theatre.

Here's a last look inside San Francisco's historic Castro Theatre before its $15 million renovation that is slated to take more than a year.

any idea if they’re keeping the (film and digital) projection equipment?

Comment

That will be us soon too... though not slated to start for at least another 4 years.
      Ryan

Comment

Hopefully the moving seats won't be installed in the front row of the balcony...

Comment

From the article:

"Finally we are about to renovate, restore and rejuvenate the historic the LGBTQ Castro Theatre,"
          The building is having gender reassignment surgery???!!! That would explain the prolonged closure, I guess.

And on the subject of replacing organs...

"We are going to get the largest organ in the world and on top of that, we are going to get something that is more automated," said Rangel.
          Bigger than this monster? And there exists an even bigger organ with only some of the stops operational. By more automated, I'm guessing he means more couplers and pistons than the previous organ had. Without them, anything with more than around 10-15 stops in the great, swell, and pedal makes registration changes mid-performance practically impossible, unless the organist has an assistant. I'd be interested to know who is building the new organ, and even more so to hear it when the theatre re-opens.

Comment

Yes they will be keeping the 35mm/70mm plus DCP projectors in the Castro Theatre booth. Still will show some movies and film festivals with moving seats. I bet the new scope screen won't be as big as It was as they are going to use the old stage proscenium in the back of the screen hidden for many years. Let's hope they keep or put in new masking.

I mentioned in a local bar mag a few weeks ago in the opinion page and they published It that in a few months before the heavy remodel work starts after they remove all the old seats and semi tier level the floor out this may be the one time only chance they can turn the Castro Theatre into a huge DISCO for two weekends only.. Bring in the famous disco Dj's from the past If they can still hear and spin records. Put in a kick ass sound rental system like Cerwin Vega Earthquake sound speakers ,color flashing strobe lights, mirror balls, smoke machines and set up portable bars Turn the place into a giant retro dance palace and play all the disco hits from the 70's & 80"s.

Advertise It worldwide $$$ and the retro disco party people will come for this once in a lifetime Castro Disco Theatre San Francisco event . Bring in Dianna Ross or some of the other classic disco performers that are still around.

Comment

Working...
            X