X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for a World War II war bond film featuring Cornelia Fort

Hello,

I am looking for a copy of the following:

In 1942, the Treasury Department began producing short war bond films within a series they called "Minute Men for Victory." In April 1942, the Treasury Department hired MGM Studios to travel to Nashville, Tennessee to interview Cornelia Fort, a pilot instructor who was in the air over Honolulu on Dec. 7, 1942 and likely the first civilian pilot to recognize Pearl Harbor was under attack. Cornelia describes her Pearl Harbor experience and also promotes the sale of war bonds in her Minute Men for Victory film. It was shown nationwide in between reels of the movie, "This Above All" with Tyrone Power and Joan Fontaine in spring/summer 1942. From a 1942 newspaper article, 70 prints of Cornelia's segment were made so it is possible a copy is in a private collection.,

A filmmaker/ historian I know has tried everywhere from the National Archives, to the Library of Congress, to the University of South Carolina, to UCLA. No luck. Does this ring any bells with the folks here? Have you seen this before? If so, please let me know - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Deb

You might want to try contacting the Army-Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) as they handled bookings of films for all Army and Air Force facilities cinemas. Someone there may have an idea on who the distributor was. They may even have a copy laying around in some dusty vault somewhere.

Comment

Working...
    X