Christmas party at the home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas party at the home

My mother is in a secure home for people with advanced dementia. All of the residents have maybe one marble left.

Today was a special Christmas lunch and each resident was allowed up to two friends or relatives come to the home for this.

I went for my mother of course, and took my music tablet (and my Santa hat) with me because I there's an old piano in the living room that, to my knowledge, has never been played by anyone, ever.

It turned out to be an old piece-a-junk spinet that, to my complete lack of surprise, was probably last tuned during the Nixon administration.

It does work more-or-less (more of the less than the more though) but the lower third of the keyboard is pretty much unusable because it's so out of tune.

I was glad that I took my music with me because it gave me something to do while I was there. I spent about three hours there and 90% of that time I was playing the piano cranking out hymns and Christmas carols. My mother sat right beside me in her wheelchair and seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit; at least it seemed to keep her attention which is more than most things can any more. The others liked it too. One of the old ladies would wave her arms around more-or-less in time with the beat. A few others would hum. Shortly before I left one of them actually said how wonderful the music is.

When I was leaving the manager said, "Gosh, we should book you to do this every month."

So the whole thing seems to have worth doing. It gave the old people something different today, if nothing else.​

When I worked for a contractor that had quite a number of nursing home facilities as customers, I was the service tech for the nurse call systems. When there was time, I'd play a piano piece before leaving. Most of the inmates seemed appreciative.

Comment

My wife's grandma lived to be about 92 or 93. She had been a piano teacher. If you asked her to play an old familiar tune, she couldn't remember it, but if you would sing the first few notes, or plunk them out on the piano, she would immediately know the song and play it to perfection. We had a little family get-together at a hotel one time and she played for a good hour or more, with her daughter sitting next to her "getting her started." It was fun to watch.

Comment

One thing that struck me as interesting is the two songs that got the most interest in terms of everyone paying attention and um... participating.

The first was Amazing Grace, which didn't really surprise me.

The other was Merry Christmas Darling which, while it's a nice song, isn't one of the biggies like Silent Night or Rudolph.

However, after seeing the reactions to those two songs I made sure to play them over again three or four times during the course of the hours that I was there to keep the party going.

Comment

Since over half of my family was Norwegian, we used to spin Yogi Yorgesson Christmas songs on 45's... Oh, the good ole days...

Comment

Working...
          X