Where to get VCRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get VCRs

A friend who works in a University archives needs to pick up some VCRs for transferring their stuff, as their current VCRs are starting to fail. I suggested the usual eBay,esty, yard sale sources. Are there any more reliable sources that anyone knows of?

VCRShop, a Dutch webshop specializing in selling refurbished and "new-old-stock" VCR hardware, mostly PAL stuff but also quite some NTSC in-stock, they ship worldwide.

Comment

I would look for a couple of Panasonic industrial vcr's. They even made one with a built in time base corrector which is really nice to have.

Comment

We're currently using the Sony SVO-5800 S-VHS professional deck to digitize old (S)VHS tapes. It also has a time base corrector, but no flux capacitor, sadly...

Comment

Time base corrected VHS looks surprisingly good. I use a Sony.

Comment

Most used S/VHS decks sold on E B don't work. The seller will say they can't test the unit as they have no tapes. Just a bunch of bull. Most people have a old tape laying around. You pay a big price for heavy postage and they don't pack It good and like I say they have problems. Vary hard to find a repair place for professional tape decks like JVC or Sony. JVC had some great units that came out in the early1990's that had a Fugi noise reduction circuit card. Thy had linear stereo also not just HI FI . You could play a regular old VHS or S/VHS tape and most of the color flicker was gone especially the reds. I had many and had to just junk them as the cost to repair plus hard to find parts was not worth fixing. JVC sold a great unit that had Mini DV along with S/VHS but It only had HI FI Stereo no L/R stereo playback.

Comment

Working...
            X