No announcement yet.

Outdoor sound system (not for movies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here are the pics of my portable rack setup. It is in a 3RU Gorilla Case from Amazon. First up, the front. The empty top space is for my low power FM transmitter:

Rack front.jpg

Next, the rear view showing the input XLRs and Speakon Outputs, the 1/4" jacks assigned to other inputs and the AUX out. On the left is the 1/8 mini plug for stereo music input, I use an Ipod:

Rack rear.jpg

Closer look at mixer connections:
    Mixer rear.jpg

Next is the Furman Power strip and part of my left foot for you foot fetish freaks:

Power.jpg

Amp inputs, I used the euro connectors here, but you can use the Dataport or the XLR:

Amp input.jpg

Finally, the outputs. No CHIMPS here, just CHVOLTS as this is the 70.7v Direct Drive model. The schematic is very interesting, it is totally identical to the CX 300, except for the final output stages, as it is set up to drive voltage rather than current. :

Amp output.jpg

As you can see from the pics, this gets VERY dusty at the mx tracks. And this whole kit got slammed hard into the front of the bed of my truck when it slid forward during a sudden stop (deer in the road.) I love the QSC amps, it survived that very hard impact which would have killed most other amps.

Comment

The mixer and the first amp showed up today, woohoo! Now all I need is the other amp (and the rack it's all going to go into) and a few of the plug-ends, and I'll be ready to start wiring. The amp is the only thing that's a ways away, it's coming from Tennessee. Everything else should deliver in the next day or two.

I also have to install the XLR output kit into our audio player. (From the factory it comes with dual RCA and 1/4" outputs, the XLR is an add-on kit.) So I'll need to go audiobox-to-mixer, and then mixer-to-2 amps.

What kind of wire is used to make the connections to and from the mixer? Looks like a 2-conductor shielded?

And, since the mixer has only one set of L-R outputs, do I just connect two sets of wires to those output Euro connectors to the amps?

For the speaker wires from the amps, I ordered a set of Speakon connectors to do away with the damn bare wires, and will add Speakon terminals to the speakers. It'll be very nice to wave goodbye to those twist connectors. I thought about using banana plugs but for this application the Speakon seems better.

I'm sure I will wind up confused and have more questions, but thanks Tony and everyone else for all the help/advice/knowledge. It's been good hearing from John E. again too, it's been too long John!
      Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 08-14-2023, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
        The mixer and the first amp showed up today, woohoo! Now all I need is the other amp (and the rack it's all going to go into) and a few of the plug-ends, and I'll be ready to start wiring. The amp is the only thing that's a ways away, it's coming from Tennessee. Everything else should deliver in the next day or two.

I also have to install the XLR output kit into our audio player. (From the factory it comes with dual RCA and 1/4" outputs, the XLR is an add-on kit.) So I'll need to go audiobox-to-mixer, and then mixer-to-2 amps.

What kind of wire is used to make the connections to and from the mixer? Looks like a 2-conductor shielded?

And, since the mixer has only one set of L-R outputs, do I just connect two sets of wires to those output Euro connectors to the amps?

For the speaker wires from the amps, I ordered a set of Speakon connectors to do away with the damn bare wires, and will add Speakon terminals to the speakers. It'll be very nice to wave goodbye to those twist connectors. I thought about using banana plugs but for this application the Speakon seems better.

I'm sure I will wind up confused and have more questions, but thanks Tony and everyone else for all the help/advice/knowledge. It's been good hearing from John E. again too, it's been too long John!
        No need for the XLR kit for your player, the stereo music inputs for the mixer (7 and 8) are unbalanced RCA. Don't waste the money on that kit.

Yes the cable to and from the mixer is 2 conductor shielded, Belden 8451 or equiv.

Yes, use the Left and right outputs to the inputs on the amps, use the screw terminals on the amps to save time and effort making up XLRs.

Speakons are the way to go with the speakers for sure. I even use them from the rack to the field wiring in permanent installs, to allow easy disconnect to protect the equipment from lightning. You can get premade 12ga Speakon cables online for reasonable cost, in lengths up to 200 feet. Amazon sells the connectors for your speakers and the rack cheap as well.

The connector panel I used was modified, I removed two of the XLRs to add the speakons. You will have to search for it to find a new vendor, MCM/Newark no longer shows it. It was made by Stellar Labs.

Check you messages on here, I will give you my contact info.

Comment

thanks Mike! say hi to the Mrs too! you know where to find me if you have any issues, im glad to help if i can!

Comment

Here it is, the finished sound rack that started this whole thread. We've run one test on it so far that sounded terrific, and I'm hoping to get one more test in later this week, after which it'll go into storage until we think of something to use it for. (Maybe around the holidays.)

Total cost around $800, which is less than the "list price" for one of the amps!

image1.jpg

Comment

Nice rack!! (That was kind of a boobie joke too.)

Very clean looking, like the casters too. It will serve you well. I'd possibly add some heavy duty handles to each side to help move it about.

Comment

I'm definitely on the lookout for handles, the whole thing weighs about 90 pounds or so.

Comment

I assume it has a door on the back. Some sort of cover for the front would be nice so stuff does not get bashed in. I've seen these ATA racks like https://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com...e-with-casters used in a lot of portable sound applications. Then you jjust need to hire roadies!

But, yes, nice rack!

Comment

Working...
                  X