Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95th annual Academy Award Nominations (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95th annual Academy Award Nominations (2023)

Nominees for the 95th Academy Awards, announced Tuesday in Beverly Hills

Best picture
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    Elvis
    Everything Everywhere All at Once
    The Fabelmans
    Tár
    Top Gun Maverick
    Triangle of Sadness
    Women Talking

Best Actor
    Brendan Fraser, The Whale
    Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
    Austin Butler, Elvis
    Bill Nighy, Living
    Paul Mescal, Aftersun

Best Actress
    Ana de Armas, Blonde
    Cate Blanchett, Tár
    Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie
    Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
    Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Director
    Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
    Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
    Todd Field, Tár
    Ruben Ostlund, Triangle of Sadness

Best Supporting Actor
    Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
    Judd Hirsch, The Fabelmans
    Brendan Gleeson, Banshees on Inisherin
    Barry Keoghan, Banshees of Inisherin
    Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

International Film
    All Quiet on the Western Front (Germany)
    Argentina, 1985 (Argentina)
    Close (Belgium)
    EO (Poland)
    The Quiet Girl (Ireland)

Best Animated Feature
    Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
    Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
    Puss in Boots The Last Wish
    The Sea Beast
    Turning Red

Original Screenplay
    The Fabelmans
    Tár
    Triangle of Sadness

Best Supporting Actress
    Angela Bassett, Black Panther Wakanda Forever
    Hong Chau, The Whale
    Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
    Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Visual Effects
    Top Gun Maverick
    The Batman
    Black Panther Wakanda Forever

Music (original score)
    Volker Bertelmann, All Quiet on the Western Front
    Justin Hurwitz, Babylon
    Carter Burwell, The Banshees of Inisherin
    Son Lux, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    John Williams, The Fabelmans

Original Song
    Applause, from Tell It Like a Woman
    Hold My Hand, from Top Gun Maverick
    Lift Me Up from Black Panther Wakanda Forever
    Naatu Naatu from RRR
    This Is a Life from Everything Everywhere All at Once

Documentary Feature
    All That Breathes'
    All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
    Fire of Love
    A House Made of Splinters
    Navalny

Original Screenplay
    The Fabelmans
    Tár
    Triangle of Sadness

Adapted Screenplay
    Glass Onion A Knives Out Mystery
    Living,
    Top Gun Maverick
    Women Talking

Cinematography
    James Friend, All Quiet on the Western Front
    Darius Khondj, Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
    Mandy Walker, Elvis
    Roger Deakins, Empire of Light
    Florian Hoffmeister, Tár

Costume Design
    Babylon
    Elvis
    Mrs Harris Goes to Paris

Animated Short
    The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
    The Flying Sailor
    Ice Merchants
    My Year of Dicks
    An Ostrich Told Me the World is Fake and I Think I Believe it

Live Action Short
    An Irish Goodbye
    Ivalu
    Le Pupille
    Night Ride
    The Red Suitcase

Film Editing
    Elvis
    Tár
    Top Gun Maverick

Sound
    The Batman
    Elvis
    Top Gun Maverick

Production Design
    Babylon
    Elvis,
    The Fabelmans

Makeup and Hairstyling
    The Batman
    Elvis
    The Whale
    ​​

I guess the best thing about this list for me is that we've actually played some of the movies on the list. That wasn't the case last year, I don't think.

It's really sad about Disney this year. In an amazing reversal of fortune, they are only on the animation list with one direct-to-video film, even though they released two other animation films this year. (The fact that that both of them stunk may have had something to do with it.) Not exactly a year for the record books. Any year that has "Puss In Boots: The Last Wish" as one of the "best animated film" nominees is not exactly a banner year for animation.

Also sad: Top Gun Maverick not being nominated for cinematography. Considering some of the camera operations were done by the actors as they flew in planes, that movie should have gotten a nod, because it looked fantastic.

I was also very surprised to see "Till" get completely shut out. I thought it was really good. Although it didn't hit the cultural zeitgeist the way I thought it would.

Best Picture is a hard one to pick this year. I seriously doubt Top Gun or Avatar will get it. Hollywood will still want to reward the quirky or the "relevant" movie in the list, so I suppose "Everything Everywhere All at Once" or "Tar" probably have the best shot. Although "The Banshees of Inishirin" seems to be getting a lot of attention.

Comment

Banshees is my favorite film of the year. I guess we depressing Irish people need to stick together. I can't see the Academy going for a film so relentlessly a downer, as well made and acted as it is.
      Currently showing Tár. More the Academy's speed. Slick, yet ambitious. Exhausting performance by Cate Blanchett. As far as I can tell, the accent over the "a" serves the same purpose as the umlaut used by Spinal Tap.
      Haven't seen Everything Everywhere... Sounds interesting.

Comment

I'm surprised to see Elvis on here as much as it is. It was entertaining and had some glitzy cinematography (that one I can understand), but I didn't think it was particularly well edited.

Sound wise, Top Gun should run away with that one. Phenomenal mix all around.

Visual effects should go to Avatar. They looked good but it was also a tremendous undertaking.

Comment

The producers of this year's Oscars telecast are so freaking screwed if they want to run that "In Memoriam" segment. A lot of pretty notable celebrities from the movie industry have been kicking the bucket lately. To me it seems like more than usual. There is no way they can run that segment without omitting possibly dozens of "can't omit" actors, directors, etc.

Comment

They probably have a cutoff date, after which any notable who dies gets included in next year’s segment.

Comment

So that would be a dead.. line?

Comment

Once you omit those that AMPAS likely feels that it should omit on political grounds, the list will be down to manageable proportions.

IMHO, Puss In Boots and Top Gun are the only two nominees that come even close to being entertaining, demonstrating basic movie-making craft skills consistently, and refraining from subjecting the viewer to unwelcome political and/or ideological propaganda. All the others that I've seen fail on at least one of those criteria, and many of them on all three.

Comment

I'll presume you haven't seen The Banshees of Inisherin, because I can't imagine how it could be dismissed on those grounds.

Comment

I had some pretty good laughs while watching "Triangle of Sadness" but I guess the irony here is that the title of the movie also describes the state the industry is in. The very fact that this movie ends up in the list of best movies of the year is another kick in the crotch for that same industry.

After such a miseable year of Hollywood trying to push dreck down our throaths, maybe a quircky low-budget production like "Everything Everywhere All at Once" somehow deserves to win all the bloody Oscars it was nominated for, just to make a point. (Although "it" was apparently nominated twice for one category...)

I looked at my Disney stock lately and then I looked at their release roster for this year and I noticed a trend there: A sad state of affairs. I guess the time to start fixing things has since passed and to me it looks like this streaming thing is a bad idea. Not only does it cost them an arm and a leg, they just lost millions of subscribers in a single quarter...

BTW: I'm part of Disney's problems: I just cancelled my Disney+ subscription, for the 3rd time in a year, after I finished watching Andor (probably the first Star Wars thing I could keep watching past "episode 1" in the last five or so years) and found nothing else worth my time on there. At least, nothing that's not already in my "offline collection" already...

Comment

I wish it was possible to edit an old post, I would go in and "bold" the winners in the above list.

But, basically "Everything Everywhere All At Once" won almost everything it was nominated for, including best picture.

found nothing else worth my time on there. At least, nothing that's not already in my "offline collection" already...
                      Us people with "offline collections" are the bane of streaming services. They need people basically to not pay attention to their credit card bills, so they can keep vacuuming that money out every month. But people are smarter than that, they're canceling when they don't see enough stuff they want to see for more than a month or two in a row.

It is odd how the studio heads keep saying streaming is the future but there is really no way to deal with the above problem because people won't keep endlessly subscribing to 10 different services.
                      Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 03-13-2023, 01:33 PM.

Comment

The most exciting thing about this year's Oscars was the removal of the Red Carpet. Please let that cliche die a deserved death.

Comment

Working...
                        X