Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Dolby's San Francisco Mansion For Sale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Dolby's San Francisco Mansion For Sale...

Ray Dolby’s home in San Francisco's tony Pacific Heights neighborhood is on the market...

$5.25mil is actually fairly 'cheap' for that neighborhood, and for here in San Francisco
    in general where it's hard to buy even a 'normal' house in decent condition for under $1mil.
    So $5.25mil is actually a bargain.

Comment

Thought you'd be racing over waving your chequebook!

Comment

3500ft2 is a mansion now? While not tiny, it wouldn't qualify as a mansion in most neighborhoods. $5.25M for 3,500ft2 is very high in most America but, as Jim says, in San Francisco...it's probably a bargain! I just checked current listings...a 5,302ft2 is currently $1,164,900, in Annapolis, MD. I'm sure it doesn't have the "media room" that Ray had.

Comment

It's all about location, I guess. $5.25m would likely buy you a city block in San Bernardino (and the meth lab situated on it as a going concern), probably! But in Beverly Hills or Westwood, only 70 miles away, maybe a condo in one of the more ritzy blocks.

Comment

I'm checking this out. Something may be amiss here. It may not be the only "Dolby" house.

Comment

Given that, per Wikipedia, his widow is worth $5.5bn, I'd be surprised if it was their only residence. One of my (home theater) service contract customers is "only" reputedly worth around $4bn, and has two mansions in the most expensive parts of the LA Metro, a yacht, and a private jet.

There again, there are some multi-billionaires who choose to live below their means. Dolby may have been one of them. From everything I've read about him, he was motivated by the desire to create technology, not money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Chavez View Post
                I'm checking this out. Something may be amiss here. It may not be the only "Dolby" house.
                Oh, it's not the only Dolby property for sure. It mentions in the article that he left a legacy of real estate and audio inventions....

Comment

As I surmised, there was another "Dolby" house. Much bigger and nicer, somewhere on Scott Street in Pacific Heights.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
                    It's all about location,.
                    Not surprisingly, Dolby's house was in a quiet neighborhood. . .

Comment

His shtick was noise reduction, so he must have got on well with his neighbors...

Comment

I think even if I was a billionaire, I would just want one house. If I had several, I'd be constantly leaving stuff in the wrong house, or forgetting where I put stuff. It's bad enough with just one house.

I also never understood the desire rich people get to have a GIANT house. To me that could be a huge pain too. "Where did I leave my glasses?" "Oh, they're in the bedroom." Which happens to be on the other side of the house, half a mile away. I have no problem with a big roomy house but some of these mansions are just over the top. I guess you have to have the bucks to understand the point.

Comment

I can understand a big-ish house so you can have rooms dedicated to a home theater, studio, video games, stereo listening, maybe an indoor horse track, olympic pool, indoor race track, indoor quarter mile drag strip, a sewing room, and a walk in closet. But nothing too big. The important thing is to always live below your means.

Comment

Don't forget a library, so people will know you're smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Redifer View Post
                              I can understand a big-ish house so you can have rooms dedicated to a home theater, studio, video games, stereo listening, maybe an indoor horse track, olympic pool, indoor race track, indoor quarter mile drag strip, a sewing room, and a walk in closet. But nothing too big. The important thing is to always live below your means.
                              If you're a real evil billionaire, you don't just want this in your home, you also want all of those on your boat too.

I've lived in big and in tiny houses over the years, I've come to the conclusion that a big house is just big troubles, in the end you spend most of your time in a few of those rooms, the rest either will become storage or dead space. Also, a big house means big upkeep and instead of spending your resources on that, I'd rather spend them on stuff that matters more to me and my family.

Comment

Working...
                              X