Telluride Film Festival Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telluride Film Festival Coming

The big film festival will be coming up this Labor Day weekend in the Colorado town in the mountains Telluride. Starts Friday Sept 2 2022 to Monday Sept 5 2022

Our local film projectionist from San Francisco 'Jim' will be one of the special projection guys in the booths they bring in each year to make sure the movies and on stage interviews go on without any problems. The studios bring in special people also so the image and sound looks top notch.

They don't tell you what new movies are showing in advance till you get there.

Maybe 'Jim' will sneak us out here on Film-Tech some photos from the event. Almost each year they even have a big outdoor screen set up in town. The surround stereo speakers are covered in plastic in case of rain and mounted up in the trees surrounding the lawn area. Must look and sound fantastic with the mountains in the distance.

With Jim gone from his much in demand union projection duties at the Drafthouse New Mission Theatre in SF let's hope they have some good help in the booth that can run old 35mm film with all It's problems and change overs.

I'm already here setting up and ran into Jim yesterday. I've been on tech staff since 1982 when I came to install Dolby Stereo for Koyaanisqatsi. Last year for sure.

No film planned for this film festival first time ever,

Comment

Enjoy your break from the bay Sam! Have a good time!

Comment

Thanks Sam glad you are up in the mountains. To bad no film this year. Would have been nice if they had some raw sneak footage of few the new 70mm films coming or even some movies shot on 35mm. I think one of the limited theatres they use has a 35/70 set up?

Not much showmanship at this Telluride festival. A few of the auditoriums have curtains that work but they refuse to use them. A boring slide is projected on the screen most of the time. If they want to have slides with the main tittle or sponsors they could still show but at least when the movie starts close and open the curtains on the title and close on the end credits.

They do many on stage Q&A events at the Telluride Festival but they still insist on showing the main logo up burning on the white flat screen during all the talks. How nice It would look to have curtains and color lights on the drapes or If they insist that the logo shows to let everyone know that sees the stage talk the name of the event they could just put the logo in the middle of the screen and close the drapes to the edge of the logo. Bring some color to the stage. Close the curtains set the masking and open again on the main feature.

One of these days some smart Hollywood producer of director coming up to the mountains will insist things change or maybe they will have someone new in programing at the festival.

My friend Jim the projection guy says his hands are tied about the curtains and color set up. I guess I am just a old curtain color light freak. I will have to travel some time and meet with all the directors of the festival to show them how nice things could look from a the audience view.

Not just for the live stage webcasts but each movie shown needs the curtains opening at the main start and closing on cue on the credits. Project the same old logo on the curtains not the screen will be refreshing.

Have fun with all the up attitude movie $ people in town this coming week. It's the mountain movie party of the year, Some film freaks like It better then Sundance.

You won't find many Hollywood stars walking around town waiting to be noticed as we don't have famous stars much anymore.

Comment

I don't know how we've managed to have a festival all these years without your input.

Comment

Working...
          X