MSG Sphere in Las Vegas - World's Largest Dome Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSG Sphere in Las Vegas - World's Largest Dome Theater

Madison Square Garden Entertainment is building the world's largest sphere arena in Las Vegas. The special venue will have 17500 seats and sport the world's highest resolution digital dome screen -direct view LED panels adding up to 19000 X 13500 pixels. Here is a video on YouTube about it. MSG Entertainment has a web site for it. The facility is expected to open in 2023. I don't know if they'll show Hollywood movies on this setup. But it still looks like a must-see attraction for any visit to Las Vegas.

Is it DCI approved?

Comment

I don't know if the setup is DCI approved. But considering the giant amount of money going into the construction of this venue I would be surprised if they didn't build in DCI capability just in case they wanted to show a Hollywood movie on that gigantic screen. It would be a hell of a place to have a premiere. I imagine a lot of content they will show will be specially produced for that screen. They would be able to show native 8K resolution camera imagery on that screen (and then some).

Comment

It will certainly not be DCI-approved.
        In order to drive that screen, you need custom content and a lot of matrix switching. Those are the kind of things DCI doesn't like, as you're NOT to touch their unencrypted content.

I've been following this project closely, as it's obviously an interesting project, but it seems to have been scaled back from its initial design. Initially, it was not only going to have a giant screen on the inside, but also a giant one on the outside. That latter part seems to have been dropped and the new design now is the giant "flyzapper" design, with the red rings.

Comment

Working...
        X