Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
    (The film's title would not fit in the Title Section because of an 85-character limit)

This mockumentary offers up more of the same cringe-worthy gross-out humor and "gotcha (pseudo) journalism" seen in Cultural Learnings of America for make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and The Ali G Show. If you enjoyed those, you'll enjoy this. Wa-Wa-Wee-Wah!

Subsequent Moviefilm improves upon Cultural Learnings with an over-arching story-line that weaves everything together, all the way to the unexpectedly clever epilogue.

There's also a surprisingly touching core (within the context of all the absurdities - I'm not suggesting this is a tearjerker or anything). Again and again, Cohen shows us how absolutely terrible human beings can be, but he also shows us how good they can be, in the form of a babysitter and a pair of older women in a synagogue who bring a sense of heart to the story.

The much-discussed Giuliani scene is full of edits which are almost certainly designed to present him in the worst possible light, but nonetheless, it's also clear that he was an easily-duped patsy with terrible and unscrupulous judgment. The scene that hit harder, in my view, was hearing the vice-premier's "mission accomplished"-style speech at the CPAC conference in February. As the American death toll and case counts continue to grow, looking back at those sorts of fallacious comments feels even more cringe-worthy than the worst of the scatological nonsense.

Subsequent Moviefilm would have been more fun in a crowded theater filled with laughter, hisses, and uncomfortable silences, but sadly, that isn't an option. I hope someday it will be again.
Working...
X