Madame Web (2024)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madame Web (2024)

It's this year's Sony Spider-Man-affiliated movie, which Sony is required to make from time to time, lest they lose their affiliation with one of the most popular Marvel characters. Therefore, it's a movie that was made for the worst possible reasons.

Yeah, but is it a good movie? Hell, I dunno. I got off the Marvel train about 14 movies ago and have stopped caring, along with most other people. I didn't want to play this movie, because there has been absolutely zero buzz on it. Not one person asked me about it. Now that it's here, people still haven't heard of it. Nice marketing push, Sony.

How's it going over? People here are walking out with mostly a "meh" look on their faces, although some are saying it was good. Absolutely nobody is walking out sporting the glowing face of someone who has just seen a great movie, though. (I know that look, for sure.)

Crowds have been mediocre. I don't know if it's just superhero fatigue rearing its ugly head again, or if people are just fed up with "the girl is the hero" movies. Probably a little of both. I mean, I'm all for girls being heroic from time to time, but when's the last time we had a male hero in one of these things? It seems like it's been a while. And now we've got a Mad Max sequel coming up starring: a girl (Anya Taylor-Swift, I mean Taylor-Joy). A movie based on a male-centered franchise featuring a badass female in the lead. What could possibly go wrong?

The weirdest thing about Madame Web is, there are no mid-credit or post-credit scenes. Is that a first for a modern Marvel movie? So people who now expect such scenes walk out feeling like they got ripped off by this movie. In fact, I heard a guy in our auditorium just tonight, as the movie was ending, exclaim, "That's a ripoff, a Marvel movie with no extra scenes?!" Way to serve the fans, Sony. Could have at least added a few bloopers or something.

No rating from me since I haven't actually watched it.

I don't know if it's just superhero fatigue rearing its ugly head again, or if people are just fed up with "the girl is the hero" movies. Probably a little of both. I mean, I'm all for girls being heroic from time to time, but when's the last time we had a male hero in one of these things? It seems like it's been a while
    Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom was released on December 22, 2023. I haven't seen it, but I believe it featured a male hero.

Comment

Oops I forgot about Aquaman. But then, it was more of a hit than this one’s going to be. Besides, Aquaman is a DC title, not a Marvel one.... Disney (via Marvel) seems to be the studio that's most fixated on adjusting the hero gender ratio.
      Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 02-18-2024, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I do like the Columbia Pictures "100 Years" logo montage at the beginning of the movie. I'd have to say it's my new favorite among the 100-year logos from the studios.

Comment

After watching Madame Web late last night I get the impression that the movie that we have isn't the movie that they started out to make. I've seen movies like this before. They write a script and make the movie and after it's done to a certain point the director (or whoever) decides that the movie they have is not the movie that they want. They reshoot a few scenes and put something together that ends up being a kind of a patchwork, neither fish nor fowl, and never really end up with a very good result.

Comment

Well I enjoyed the movie but some of the effects were kinda half baked. One thing that stood out was that the dialog didn't match the lips for the bad guy for pretty much the whole movie. Like it was dubbed. Pretty distracting.

Comment

Working...
            X