The Little Mermaid (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Mermaid (2023)

This movie is a little bit controversial of course because of Disney's decision to cast a Black girl as the lead mermaid, when the mermaid in their original movie was a white girl with bright red hair. And of course anyone who objects in any way to them changing a classic character in this way is called a hateful racist, which in some cases may be true, but it's just as likely the objector just doesn't want to see an existing famous Disney character substantially changed. The same objector might have a problem with "The Princess and the Frog" being remade with a white redhead playing Tiana. The only reason they didn't remake that movie instead of "Mermaid" is because it was not very successful upon its original release. "Mermaid" looked much better from the marketing standpoint.

That said -- is the new "Little Mermaid" good? Yes, I enjoyed it a lot. Does it have problems? Yes, but the good stuff generally outweighs the bad.

The story, for anyone who needs to know, is about a mermaid, Ariel, who longs to live "like humans do" and see the world above the water. Her father, King Triton, is against this and wants her to stay underwater where she belongs because humans are hateful creatures who are destroying the planet. Ariel of course disobeys Dad, goes fooling around above the water, and rescues a handsome dude, Eric, who is injured during a shipwreck, and they immediately fall in love. Ariel, who really wants to reconnect with Eric, is convinced by the very evil sea witch, Ursula, to make a deal whereby she can grow a pair of legs and venture to the surface to track down her beloved. The conditions: She'll have to do it without her voice, which Ursula keeps locked away, under the condition that Ariel needs to get "true love's kiss" from her beloved within 3 days in order to recover her voice and live happily ever after. The wrinkle: Ursula throws in another feature to the evil spell, which is that Ariel won't know that she needs the crucial kiss.

So what's good? The biggest positive here is the overall production. The picture is gorgeous to look at right from the very first shot, of a stormy ocean in slow motion. But the underwater scenes are where it really pops. Between this and Avatar and the Nemo series, Disney is really cornering the market with underwater movies. I was left wondering where the live action ended and the animation began, especially when it came to the mer-people.

Melissa McCarthy is the movie's secret weapon, and is outstanding as Ursula, the evil sea witch. She is pretty fearsome and will probably induce a nightmare or two. There's a little talk about "why" she is as evil as she is, but it's not fleshed out enough. I suspect there's a movie all about her brewing, along the lines of "Maleficent."

Halle Bailey does a credible but not outstanding take on Ariel. She's basically your typical Disney princess. She's got a great singing voice and carries the part well. She's less convincing during the long segment of the movie where she can't speak.

Jonah Hauer-King is good as Eric, but he's got the world's blandest singing voice ever. They should have overdubbed him, although the overblown arrangement of his big showcase song might be just as much the cause of the problem with it.

My least favorite character was King Triton, played by Javier Bardem. For one thing, he looked to be in his mid-30s with long gray hair and beard pasted on, so I think that's what bugged me about him. He didn't seem old and wise like the typical "Disney dad" is.

I also thought the sidekick characters, Sebastian (a crab) and Flounder (a flounder), were much better and funnier, and looked better, in the original animated movie. The exception was Scuttle, played by Awkwafina, who was funny and had great "attitude." They could have used more of her in the movie.

Next, there are three new songs which pale in comparison to the originals. One, "The Scuttlebutt," is a rap that seems out of place in the movie. It's performed by Awkwafina. The rap goes by so fast that it's hard to understand the words. The kids might really dig it though. These songs, and other scenes which seem to drag, make the movie feel padded. Why do filmmakers today feel like every movie has to be 130 minutes or more? They could have easily lopped at least 20 minutes off of this movie and improved it substantially.

All Disney movies these days are required by law to contain at least one of every race of people known to mankind whether it makes sense to the story or not, but how to accomplish this in a movie about sea creatures? Easy, give King Triton seven "daughters of the seven seas," and who therefore are all different nationalities. This has the effect of making him look like the biggest man-whore ever. This group of mermaids are the sexiest Disney females this side of Jessica Rabbit, with a lot of the costuming appearing to be just painted on, but they're completely unnecessary to the story and are merely window dressing.​

Overall I enjoyed it and I think it will be a crowd pleaser. Our first night crowd stayed riveted to their seats, which is a good barometer for a kids' movie; if they're running around a lot, they're bored. They sat still for this one.

Three out of five stars from me. Out of all the live-action Disney remakes, Cinderella remains my favorite.

This didn't need to be over 2 hours. Too long for the age group that is showing up here for it.

Comment

Despite all the (political) drama surrounding this movie, the entire thing is completely superfluous, just like all the other remakes of Disney classics.

It's like Disney is just laughing in your face: You're going to give us money, despite zero creative input has been done.

If you ask me, it's time to teach them a lesson: If you don't know how to contribute something original, new and worthwhile, you're not worth my time and I'm not going to spend my dollars on your reheated crap in a fancy, shiny packaging. Maybe it's a bummer for all those exhibitors who just committed themselves to show this drivel for three weeks, but even for them it's for the best if Disney starts going back to their roots. Ditch the never-ending milking of existing properties, the in-your-face and often almost subversive messaging, making sure ALL the boxes are ticked... Go back to tell those many untold stories that used to inspire people all around the world, no matter what race or color. Start making THOSE movies people actually WANT to see again...

Comment

it's for the best if Disney starts going back to their roots.
        They have a movie coming out for the holidays this year called "Wish" that looks like it could fill that bill. And Elemental (from Pixar) this summer looks pretty good, although thanks to their three-week policy we probably won't play that one because we want to play the new Mission Impossible, and it overlaps Elemental's 3rd week.

Comment

So what's good? The biggest positive here is the overall production. The picture is gorgeous to look at right from the very first shot, of a stormy ocean in slow motion. But the underwater scenes are where it really pops. Between this and Avatar and the Nemo series, Disney is really cornering the market with underwater movies. I was left wondering where the live action ended and the animation began, especially when it came to the mer-people.
          Saw an opinion piece on the CNN website (https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/opini...art/index.html) titled I Hated "The Little Mermaid."
          One of the reasons she hated it was because it was so dark you couldn't see anything. The first thing that popped into my mind was "Where did you see it." Which was answered almost immediately with "In my local small town theatre." At that point I knew the picture was underlit in the projection, not the film.
          Good on you Mike for showing it right.

This didn't need to be over 2 hours. Too long for the age group that is showing up here for it.
          Any kids show over 45mins is too long for most of them. 2:15 is just a horror show waiting to happen. Thankfully for you people showing it, it is not targeted at 10 year old boys.

It's like Disney is just laughing in your face: You're going to give us money, despite zero creative input has been done.
          Are you under the impression that one of the biggest corporate cash cows in Hollywood is something other than a money making corporation? It's called show BUSINESS for a reason. Though feel free to boycott them, you've got nothing to lose.

Comment

My clients are reporting sell-outs on this title most everywhere. Time will tell if it makes its money back but it has a good start, despite the gloom and doomers. I figure if it hits 600K-700K, it will have reached the break even point.

Comment

"local small town theatre" doesn't automatically mean a dim, shitty picture, just saying.

Comment

No it doesn't and the big chains can race for the bottom in presentation quality too. The realities are, the smaller the town, the less money there is to go around. Once one has the capability to show a DCP, then it becomes a battle of how much more will one spend for the incremental change in presentation?

I'm curious as to where the NEC NC900C ended up. It is the poster child (for me) for a projector that should never have earned DCI compliance and existed for one purpose only...to capture a market where people didn't want to or couldn't afford a proper projector. Why am I so hard on that projector? It isn't anything against NEC or even its build quality...it just never could meet DCI color specs. Yeah, you could, with the notch filter have it hit the three corners and center but it wasn't a smooth transition...it was a wink/nudge sort of pass. It rarely had enough light for the venue that it went in (under 6000 lm) and people pulled the filter to get 6000 lm and believed that if they shot the colors that they were still in DCI compliance. Oh, and if you adjusted the lamps, you adjusted the color. It also has no contrast.

The only place I, personally, specified one was on a 12' x 16' screen in a multi-purpose venue where 1st run movies were never run. It has more than enough light. However, its lens memory accuracy is horrible.

I suspect that a lot of NC900s, Solaria 1 and DP2K-8S (or DP2K-6E) projectors ended up in theatres where they were too small or some dealer sold them a 1.8 gain screen to get the center-brightness up, at the expense of the rest of the image.

We, recently, took over the support of a venue that was run by a chain that wasn't afraid of spending money. They have good stuff in the booth and theatre so we didn't recommend any equipment changes. However, it was VERY evident that all of the thought was put into a cookie-cutter type design, regardless of theatre/screen size. As an example, they all got 3KW xenon lamps. On my inspection/tune up/adjustments, the light level off the center of the screens ranged from 16fL to 35fL. I know, better too bright than too dark. Except, when you are at double, you over saturate the colors, and with 4K imagers (1.38") you don't really have 2000:1 contrast ratio so you no longer have black levels, you have grey levels. For commercial cinemas, the specification of 14fL +/-3 fL in the center with at least 75% of center on the sides is there for a reason. If you meet that, the image, brightness wise, will look good. Naturally, the closer you hit 14fL center and the same everywhere, the better it will look.

So, no, you can't say all small town theatres (or even most) are out of spec. But, for the too-dark situation, you are bound to find them, mostly, in smaller towns or with smaller independent exhibitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                  My clients are reporting sell-outs on this title most everywhere. Time will tell if it makes its money back but it has a good start, despite the gloom and doomers. I figure if it hits 600K-700K, it will have reached the break even point.
                  Nothing like that seems to be happening around here. The last Disney movies all were quite a bit of a bust, while Mario kept pulling in bigger crowds than Guardians, even after it was released on streaming.

Comment

"local small town theatre" doesn't automatically mean a dim, shitty picture, just saying.
                    I'm a single screen non-profit in a small city. Our light is not 100% to spec, but it is still better than any of the 3 multiplexes in the area run by the very big movie theatre chain.
                    It's all a matter of who gives a damn (and money).

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

Nothing like that seems to be happening around here. The last Disney movies all were quite a bit of a bust, while Mario kept pulling in bigger crowds than Guardians, even after it was released on streaming.
                      Yeah, I hear that the international market on Mermaid is sub-par. I was noting that my peeps that we service were claiming sell outs on Mermaid, domestically. I hear Top Gun: Maverick was similar in that the domestic boxoffice was its biggest strength (I can't imagine why a gung-ho rah, rah U-S-A, U-S-A movie would be so slanted to the USA ;-)) Avatar 2, on the other hand, was strong world wide.

Comment

Yeah, our picture is usually really good as far as I can tell, except now we're dealing with this prism issue which is driving me up the freaking wall.

Comment

After a week I can say that business has been moderate for Mermaid but fairly consistent. It almost outperformed Spider-Man this weekend. Not sure if that's a plus for Mermaid or a minus for SM.

Crowd reaction seems to be pretty good too.

Comment

If you believe Boxoffice Mojo...it is up to $327M worldwide with a 57/43 distribution between US/Non-US. Realistically, it needs to gross $600M-$700M to break even, depending on how much they've sunk into marketing and distribution.

Comment

Well it is the only film currently in wide release that doesn't primarily cater to dudes (at least until Elemental), so that might help it get a bit further up the earnings chart.

Comment

Working...
                              X