Super Mario Bros (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Mario Bros (2023)

This thing is a phenomenon. I'm getting more people here for every show than I've had in the past ten years.

The 3D helps too. People are driving great distances to see it here because I've got the only 3D system in this part of the province.

So it's all in the movies. If the movie companies make a good movie, promote it right and don't rush the thing onto video it is possible to get people to come to a theatre to watch it.

Frankly, I was starting to wonder if people had just stopped going to movies overall, but that's apparently not the case. It's just a matter of having a good movie that people want to see.

Anyway, Top Gun did really well here but Mario is leaving it for dead.

We did well with it too, although nowhere near Top Gun numbers. But, last year at this time there was a theater in a neighboring town that was closed, so we got a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog business from there. This year, most of those people stayed home, is my guess.

I even had a message yesterday from a lady asking if we were still playing Mario this weekend. I wanted to say, "what, the previous 25 showtimes didn't work out for ya?" But I was nice.

Comment

Super Mario was the best-attended show that I've had here in at least the past ten years. Wow!

It set a record for the most dollars brought in for ticket sales, ever. The attendance didn't match something like Titanic but then my ticket price was $5. Today my adult price for a 3d ticket is $14 so it adds up pretty fast.

Now all we need is a few more like this one.

Comment

Super Mario just passed Top Gun for us. But we only had Top Gun for three weeks total vs the entire month with Super Mario. It's still bringing people in though!

I have yet to watch it, but plan on it. I can hear all the little tid bits of throwbacks and nostalgia just by the blips of music queues and that's mainly what I'm excited to see. How many easter eggs can I find?

Hoping Guardians 3 can keep the momentum going. (This is Marvel's last shot here.)

Comment

And in other news:
          DEADLINE reports that over the weekend, the full Mario Brothers flick was uploaded & posted on a
          Twitter account, and racked up over 9million views before it was discovered and taken down.

Quoting from the story:
          "A Twitter blue user leveraged the subscription service’s new ability to upload longer videos to post
          the entirety of the Super Mario Brothers Movie, an infringement that wasn’t discovered for several hours,
          Forbes reports.
          The account “vids that go hard" posted the box office smash early Sunday morning. User “Twilight Sparkle”
          posted a short caption with a profanity to announce the uploads.
          The account has 1.1 million followers, and estimates of multiple millions of page views as high as 9 million
          have been reported before the film was finally taken down.
          Super Mario Bros. Movie just crossed the $1 billion mark at the worldwide theatrical box office."

Hoodline Here>
          https://tinyurl.com/muevr3br

Comment

i went to see this and i would give it a 7/10 not the best thing ever, some of the music I found amusing, but it really did take me back to my childhood i have to say.

Comment

Despite the movie being out on streaming and having leaked on-line, the movie is still going pretty strong and is outperforming Guardians 3 with a large margin in most theaters around here. Some have already dropped Guardians 3 from their programming entirely.

I watched Mario on a mid-week day when it was out for about two weeks and the theater was still about half full. I watched Guardians 3 in the same room the week of the release on a Saturday evening and there were a total of 5 people in the room, including me and the wife... A pretty sad affair.

Super Mario certainly isn't the best movie ever, quite to the contrary, it's a simple, unpretentious crowd pleaser coated in a veneer of nostalgia as thick as a brick. Apparently, this is what people want to see, compared to a rather dark and not-so-funny conclusion of a franchise that's years past its due date.

Comment

Working...
              X