Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022)

I was thinking the first Minions movie was a bit of a letdown, since it didn't go through the roof; so I was a bit surprised that they made this one at all, let alone decide to sit on it for two years while there was a pandemic going on. If ever a movie seemed like a candidate to go right to Peacock, this would seem to be it.

But, the closer this came to opening, the more people seemed excited about it. Parents were asking about it on behalf of their kids. When we decided not to open Lightyear on the break, I was bracing for a bunch of peeved people, but instead it was more like "Lightyear? Who cares...when are the Minions coming?"

So now we are in the midst of the Minions. It's pretty much the same kind of movie as the first one -- lots of mayhem, silliness and crackpot action, and a lot of fart jokes. I mean A LOT of fart jokes. Some of which are pretty damn funny, I must admit.

Steve Carell is in this one too, playing a younger (and higher-pitched-voiced) version of Gru, who is just beginning his quest to become the greatest villain of all time. He's in fine form, as are the minions themselves (voiced by director Chris Meladondri). Well, about as fine as you can expect from this kind of movie.

People are liking it (most common comment: "That was cute!") and we've even had a few repeats, so ... can't argue with that! Myself, I'm getting a little tired of hearing it and will be glad to send this one out. But I'm happy for the good business it's doing.

Just your standard animated meh-show with occasional funny bits, of which most have been featured in the trailers... it seems to pull in a crowd though, which is what eventually matters...

What really annoyed me is that this movie was targeted to please Chinese crowds and that one becomes instantly clear once the Bond-style intro tune runs...

Comment

Okay, who thought it was a good idea to have a black credit scene that lasts no longer than 15 seconds that runs into a mid credit scene. Just enough time for everyone to stand up and start shuffling out only to stop and move back to their seats?

Comment

It's gotten to where just about every movie, people come out asking "if there's anything during the credits." I usually leave the lights "off" if there is an extra scene, so the savvy ones know to watch for the lights to tell them when it's really over. If there's an extra scene way at the very end of the crawl, I'll run the lights normally but program them to go off again for the extra scene.

Comment

I do it all manually. If there are extra scenes in a film I'll turn the side wall sconces on for those who wish to leave.

However, with this one since the mid credit scene happens so quickly I just leave them off but people still get right up and start moving despite it being pitch black and then all freeze in place.

Comment

Getting any costumes?

I had three teenage girls yesterday wearing minions outfits.

Comment

I didn't see anyone dessed as a supersized yellow TicTac yet.

Yeah, the end-credits situation with this one is highly confusing, but maybe it's an indication of how the average moviegoer appreciates the movie when they storm out after the first mid-credit scene, not knowing if there will be any post-credit stuff there for them to see.

Comment

I've noticed an increasing number of people lately who feel the need to get up and start leaving before the movie ends. It was even happening with Top Gun Maverick. Soon as the movie seems to about to be over they start getting ready to go and then when they're ready, they go, whether the movie is really over or not. I don't understand it... you paid for the movie, why would you want to leave before it ends?

On Minions we had a group of about 10 people left last night before even the "teaser" credit scene. I guess they just weren't into it.

Comment

I had a group of the "gentleminions" (teenagers in suits) here tonight.

I wasn't sure what to expect when that group walked in, but they were well-behaved. They all sat together in the front rows, and stood and clapped when the end credits started, but they did no harm.

Comment

Working...
                  X