Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Getting by in a small town: What is wrong with Watseka, Illinois? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Getting by in a small town: What is wrong with Watseka, Illinois?
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-06-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There is something wrong with the water in Watseka, Illinois. That's the only way I can explain what is happening there. Everyone has lost it.

Watseka, Illinois, sits as the county seat of Iroquois County on the Indiana border. The town claims to be a "progressive rural community that places strong emphasis on preserving family values" and claims to foster community pride. The city also claims a high priority for "community development and revitalization of downtown and other retail areas". (City of Watseka homepage)

The Watseka Theatre was built in 1931, a product of the Art Deco movement in cinema design.

By the mid-1990s, the state of affairs at the Watseka was a sorry one indeed. As reported by Cinematour researcher Bob Meza, "It is horrible that the once beautiful Watseka is sitting there rotting away. Last time I was in there was when Twister was showing. At that time, you could only sit in the center section because plaster was falling from the ceiling on the sides, so the sides were roped off. The heater in the building was a steam boiler that had broke, so they just punched a hole in the wall and hung one of those big gas heaters you find in high school gyms. What a shame." The Watseka finally closed in 1999. The last movie to play was The Mask of Zorro.

Competition for the Watseka came from the Princess Theatre, just three blocks away, which remains in operation today.

The Princess has been successful enough for the owner to add another screen. Another screen, not by chopping up the Princess or adding on to the building, but by converting an industrial building a number of blocks away. So what's wrong with that, you ask?

Again, from Mr. Meza: "This is no joke. The owner of the Princess Theatre ... built a second screen out of an industrial building. The screen is the wall of the theatre, and a speaker sits on the floor in front of the screen. The room is air conditioned by a household window air conditioner."

In a day and age of restoring historic buildings with funds raised from grants and public and private donations, I am appalled that the owner of the Princess has taken the cheap way out. One would think that the responsible thing for a successful business owner to do would be to put something back into the community which gives him that success, to assist and work closely with the local administration whose public mission statement clearly indicates a desire to rebuild and rejuvenate its downtown.

But that's not what really bothers this writer. What bothers me is that this, um, "new place to see a movie" is patronized by the very same community that this owner has shunned. They continue to put up with the disrespect and the concept that all it takes is an image on a wall and some vague resemblance of a soundtrack. The owner seems to be programming family fare at this new location with the notion that the clientele either won't notice the environment or won't care.

Come on, people! Show yourselves some respect! Take pride in yourselves! Stand up and revolt! Sure, catch a show at the Princess, but abhor the bastard child Princess II. Do not flock to what is even less than mediocrity like junkies to a crackhouse. Dare I even say ... wait and watch it on video!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for fuck's sake. That is pathetic!!!

You know, I think I would actually be afraid of seeing their booth. Whatever they have has got to be the worst crap ever made. I'll bet if they are running on a platter they don't even use threading leaders. They probably just thread up on the first reel of the movie. Masking tape splices perhaps? Oh what I am even thinking about, no way a quality theater like that would spring for a platter and no possible way they would have two projectors. They probably run reels with lots of intermissions. Of course they do have cupholder armrests, so clearly that is what is bringing in the masses pictured above.

Someone daring get us some more pictures of this place!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT?!

That is by far the most poor excuse for a theater I have ever seen. Do they allow this person to have first-run product at this place?? Should someone alert the movie studios to take a tour of this place before they allow their next-big-hit to play there? My God!! The owner should nix those shiny poster cases and just staple several of the same one-sheet in a row on the plywood.... for "atmosphere"!

If the outdoor and indoor pictures were taken at the same time, that sure is a large crowd for "Powerpuff Girls!" The picture of the original "Princess Theatre" isn't too impressive either. Is that supposed to be a marquee??

It is indeed a shame that our movie palaces, or places like the Northpark who actually CARE about presentation and their customers are being bulldozed while crap like this is allowed to remain operational and take (yes, TAKE) money from people. I would watch a letterboxed scope movie on a 13" mono TV before I went to see a movie there, cupholders or not.

"Princess" my ass! (unless you're talking about the Princess in Shrek... )

=TMP=

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-06-2002 08:25 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the name-plate in front of the theater. The ramp indicates that the theater is accessible for wheelchairs, that is nice too. But I think they should move the speaker to the center. Do they have a THX licence?
Michael

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-06-2002 08:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not I have seen far worse than this. Honest.

-Aaron

Jeremy Spracklen
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 08:47 PM      Profile for Jeremy Spracklen   Email Jeremy Spracklen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a dumpster in front of the theater?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-06-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are just using a video projector and get DVDs down at the local Blockbuster...I mean, why pay the studios?...they paid their rental fee!

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-06-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD's? I don't think they'd be willing to spend money on DIGITAL! They probably use VHS.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can they let a beautiful palace like the Watseka rot while some industrial building doubles as a half-assed attempt at a theater? What are they thinking????

I've seen crappy theaters, but this Princess II takes the cake. Does it even have restrooms? Or do you just shit on the floor anywhere?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-07-2002 12:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the big black car the limousine with which premium guests are driven to the theater? I noticed the speaker is angled towards the two people on the left side. Do they charge extra to point the speaker in your direction?
Michael

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-07-2002 12:43 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watseka makes me think of speeding tickets on I-57. Must be a state police station there or that's where the fine went if stopped in that county. Therefore I think I've already contributed to this berg!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-08-2002 03:35 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess II

I just LOVE the sign.
I mean, I really, really LERV it.
No, no... I LUFF it.

Stay away from sequels.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2002 07:58 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is GREAT news! Now the costs of us all building our "dream" has come drastically down. Just buy some chipboard (fibreboard) and cover up the old storefront with it. Don't bother to even paint it (you'll be needing that can to create your "screen" on the backside of the chipboard!). I'm betting a small industrial type "unisex" washroom IN the "auditorium" OR porta-potty's out back!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-08-2002 08:58 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they even serve food? They might not be required to have a washroom, in which case I doubt that they would spend the money. On the other hand, if they do, I wonder if it is as wheel-chair accessible as their front entrance?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-08-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long long time ago near Watseka IL I serviced this guys drive inn. It was my first service call there and the last one I did for them!!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: