Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The 5th Great Big 70mm Festival (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The 5th Great Big 70mm Festival
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-03-2005 08:16 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The upcoming widescreen festival in the UK reminded me that the American Cinematheque in Hollywood, CA has been running their 5th annual 70mm festival this last couple of weeks. The festival screenings at the Egyptian in Hollywood have already concluded, but the festival continues at the Aero in Santa Monica.

The 5th Great Big 70mm Festival

Wednesday, February 2, 7:30pm
Lord Jim

Thursday, February 3, 7:30pm
Lawrence of Arabia

Friday, February 4, 7:30pm
2001: A Space Odyssey

Friday, February 4, 10:30pm
Baraka

Saturday, February 5, 3:00pm
Newly Restored Todd-AO 70mm Print
Doctor Dolittle

Saturday, February 5, 6:00pm
EYE-POPPING and OVERWHELMING: 70 MM SHORTS PROGRAM
Die Internationale
Skies Over Holland
Fanny’s Wedding
A Year Along The Abandoned Road
A Place To Stand

Plus: as time permits, a motion simulator/ride film or two, including the SimEx short A Trip to Mars at 30 frames per second with digital sound.

Saturday, February 5, 9:30pm
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Director Ken Annakin in person.

Sunday, February 6, 5:00pm
In Ultra Panavision 70 mm
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Played at the Egyptian but not repeating at the Aero:
The Agony and the Ecstasy Newly restored Todd-AO 70mm print
Patton
Playtime
Hello Dolly!

[ 02-03-2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-03-2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know where the print of a place to stand came from

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there for Hello Dolly last weekend. Great presentation, great sound. Perfect volume level, and even perfect focus throughout.

I was shocked that the print overall and especially the changeovers were very CLEAN and had no cinch marks. This is the same print that has been playing all over the world for a few years now, right?

However, someone along the line has messed it up [fu]

Reels 4,8, and 10 were damaged. (damn changeover houses [Wink] )

The damage I saw on reel 4 was some light standing/moving black and green scratching on the far left of the screen only <within 1 foot of the left masking> These occured all along the left hand vertically, moving downward.
It also had a very fine black line in the center of the frame that appeared midreel for 5 minutes, then went away, and appeared again for the last 3 minutes of the reel ?!?!

reels 8 and 10 had very light black lines on the far left, again, within 1 foot of the left screen masking only. Just imagine the "pad roller scratches" we normally see on the right side of a trashed 35mm print, then you'll get the picture.

Any ideas what type of 70mm projector would cause the above problems? I really hope the theatre responsible got a HUGE bill. [puke]

Why the hell are the studios letting blind people or people with shitty equipment near the 70mm? One or both of these factors must have led to "Dolly" getting messed up. Perhaps the studios should require that along with the print, the theatre has to rent someone to come out and inspect the machines and operator before they agree to rent them a film!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
Any ideas what type of 70mm projector would cause the above problems?
In the wrong hands the two U.S. built machines most likely to damage film..... in order of most likley.... Simplex 35/70, Century JJ. Mainly because..... there are too many tight turns that have to be threaded to the perf so film is not damaged, and there are too many sharp objects located just off the proper film path.

Now if we could just get The American Cinemateque and Paul Rayton to take that festival on tour to other big cities once or twice a year to the remaining 70mm houses alot more people could re-live those wonderful films!! Showing them exclusively on the west coast is truely a waste.

Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-04-2005 02:44 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I'd volunteer to go out with that road unit, or cover shifts for Paul and crew back home at either the Egyptian or the Aero... [Cool]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the Aero trashed a new print of "Lawrence of Arabia" the other night and had to stop the show for a while. Any one care to give any more info about what happened? [uhoh] [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2005 12:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's just lovely. Was it one of the reissue prints from 10 or so years ago, or literally a brand new print?

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there were a couple of new LOA prints done in the fall of 2002 for the re-issue at that time. The one that I saw at the Senator in Baltimore (I got a tour of the booth while it was running) was 70MM DTS only - no mag sound.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Played at the Egyptian but not repeating at the Aero:
The Agony and the Ecstasy Newly restored Todd-AO 70mm print
Patton
Playtime
Hello Dolly!

Actually, all 4 were repeated at the Aero the weekend of January 28-30.

Reels 4,8, and 10 were damaged.
That's really a shame. I got to see the new print of Hello Dolly the same week it came out of the lab in 2002, and it was flawless.

I heard the Aero trashed a new print of "Lawrence of Arabia" the other night
When I saw the brand new print of LOA the day AFTER it debuted at the Cinerama Dome at the Arclight in 2002, it was COVERED with those thin black vertical scratches inward of both the left and right hand side of the screen. Through the entire movie.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eight prints of Lawrence were struck in 2002 for the 40th anniversary release, see the following post:
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005516;p=2#000016

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the Aero trashed a new print of "Lawrence of Arabia" the other night and had to stop the show for a while. Any one care to give any more info about what happened?

I talked to Paul today and the above quote is not even close! Paul himself will be by in the near future to tell about the 30 second shutdown. Paul is one of the very best operators in the country and not a frame of film was lost.... And these are DP-70's... not some wanna be 35/70 toy projector.....

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The report I heard from someone in the audience was that "sprockets were seen on the screen and then it shut down for a brief intermission". (Not exact verbage, but more than close enough for the purpose.) DP70s may be nice projectors, but I don't see how they wouldn't damage a frame of film if the sprockets were seen on screen. [Confused]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that Paul needs to elaborate on himself in this thread and he said he will. He told me the intermission was but 30 seconds long! With Pauls repitation I thing I lean towards believing him over one of the patrons. Sometimes a short stop in the middle of a film can seem like an eternity to a viewer....

If one has a pile up in a DP-70 or minor accident there is ALOT more room to pile up large amounts of film with out it turning the film into accordion pleats. There are also no really tight gate loops and the rollers and shafts are very forgiving of film having to move laterally on them. DP-70's are very forgiving of being threaded with too large or too small of loops. too large it runs noisy, too small it just limits your framing range. Also in a properly operating DP the top loop trip lever will shut down the projector before the operator can even get his finger on the button. A big advantage when running older prints!! If you make way too large of top loop the machine won't let you run it at all as it will keep tripping the loop lever and shutting it down.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No one is disputing whether it was 5 seconds, 30 seconds or 5 minutes. Also, I still fail to see how if someone saw sprockets projected on the screen what this has to do with loop sizes. [Razz]

BTW, Paul has not registered yet, so this may take longer than you are expecting.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen his posts here before but its been a while. I know exactly what happened, but lets let him tell what happened. Its his booth......

Actually he made his last post on 12-08-2004. I think you may have some other Paul mixed up.....

Member Number: 1817
Interests: movies, travel, bicycle riding

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: