Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm on the up (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: 70mm on the up
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-05-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be up but its not even a spurt of what it was in the 80's!
Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 2002, Columbia re-issued "Lawrence of Arabia", making up a total of 8 new 70mm prints. There were 5 prints that were DTS only, and 3 prints that had the mag tracks applied. (The mag prints may carry the photographic copy of the DTS track, but could not play the DTS because some of the mag track covers the area used by DTS.) However the gentleman heading the "classics" department at Columbia told me that the mag prints were used quite a bit, and the DTS not so much. So, if you want the best-looking, less-used print of "Lawrence", ask for the DTS ones. Obviously, more places still have mag track capability -- although the condition can be marginal.

One of the reasons Columbia cited for making the DTS prints was because they were "tired of receiving back prints with ticking sounds in the soundtrack" because of projectors with magnetized spots. I've encountered a few of them (noisy prints) myself, and it's quite annoying. Anyway, DTS seems (to me) to run hot and cold on their process. The DTS techs are eager to use it, but the suits don't seem to echo that enthusiasm, certainly as far as pushing (publicizing)the availability of the technology for 70mm prints.

FWIW, the new print of "Mad (4) World" that recently ran at the Cinerama Dome in L.A. was a DTS print. We expect to be playing that print at my theatre (The Egyptian, in Hollywood) around the middle of January. MGM may circulate that print to other places later, but I haven't heard their plans for it.

Back a year or so ago, when Ron Howard had a fistful of Oscars and was on track to direct the remake of "The Alamo", there was a rumor that he might photograph it in 65mm. When he left the project, that hope was "dashed to pieces on the rocks of despair". I'd hoped George Lucas would come around, but he's gone completely digital, of course.

The biggest problem (besides some extra cost) is the frantic release schedule of today's movies, in which films are sometimes in editing until the last possible minute, (maybe waiting for that last special effects shot), and then the reels are rushed to the lab with a need to make like, 4000 copies. Overnight. [Eek!] It would take another day or two (at the most optimistic) to make the 70mm blowups (and check them, of course), and oftentimes, that time simply isn't there.

Further, even though many good cinema locations have "sleeping" 70mm capability, theatre owners (a thrifty bunch, to be charitable about their behavior) often are not inclined to maintain the equipment, and often don't even bother to advertise the fact of the 70mm print being run. We ran "2001: A Space Odyssey" at my theatre at the end of 2001, doing a 2 week run at that time. Do you think my publicity department remembered to advertise 70mm in the display ad in the newspaper? Nope. There was some finger-pointing, saying WB specified the ad, but the reality was that the engagement was "okay" successful, but it should have been better, and would have, if they'd advertised it right.

And, 3 blocks away from me, Disney ran a 70mm print of "Sleeping Beauty" about a year ago -- and no mention of "70mm" in the newspaper ads. There was a tag, on the marquee, stating 70mm,
but you had to be driving past the theatre to see that!!!
For the life of me I can't figure out why they can't put that magical "in 70mm" logo at the bottom of the ads, to get the word out!

There has been other discussion of 70mm, on other threads, so rather than repeat all that, I'll refer you to the handy "search" function Brad has on Film-Tech. But I, like probably everyone else here, LIVE for the day we hear that someone is going to make a new dramatic film, shooting in large format (65mm).

I used to dream that someone could suggest to some of the "names" in a film (the ones that are paid obscene millions to act) that they take a million $ off their fee, to cover the minor additional costs of 65mm production. In exchange, they would get MUCH BETTER close-ups. What ego could resist such an offer? So far, I haven't heard of it happening.

And finally, for John Pytlak: Here in L.A., Foto-Kem lab has recently (in the last month or so) opened a new wide-gauge film department, hiring someone from Pacific Title to set it up and get it running. That's interestingly-good news. Wish I knew why they thought it was a good idea right now. On the other hand, CFI (lab) is no longer in business, so maybe that motivated them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-05-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd hoped George Lucas would come around, but he's gone completely digital, of course.

"The DTS techs are eager to use it, but the suits don't seem to echo that enthusiasm"

Paul,

I think most of us here wish George would go away to say the used car industry where he could be of some real use!

Actually thats definately not true. According to conversations I've had Walter Browski DTS actually mounted their timecode printer onto the picture printer at CFI allowing one pass TC 70mm prints. That saves about 4 grand per print in the cost for a second step that was needed to print DTS TC track. I would assume they will do the same at the new lab as well. They are pushing big for use of the new XD-10 player with TC printed directly on 15/70, and 8/70. Makes changing previews and other editing chores a cinch.

Mark @ CLACO

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-05-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure why the DTS 70mm reader should be so expensive. Given that the 35mm version is less than 1/3rd that price, and it is the same basic unit except for wider machined parts. $1300 seems like a bit of a ripoff. Perhaps the high price is because there are so few units made -- they might have been made individually by hand. If there were a real demand for quantity, the price might come down substantially.

So does anyone have any pictures of the positioning of the DTS track? Has Dolby staked a claim on where its track will go should they decide to go 70mm? Will they just put it in one of the mag locations or will they stick to the their between-the-sprocket-hole concept? The need for that doesn't seem imperative if there is no need for mag tracks. That would make it unnecessary to make mag/digital compatible prints. If they don't have to squeeze digital around the mag geography, then they've got scads of space to record the digital stream anyplace they want. Hell, you could even lay in two SDDS tracks in a place other than where all the drive and guide components touch the print like on the 35mm prints.

Frank

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Light & Sound has DTS 70mm readers, as well as whole systems, for rent.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First you have to get Steven Spielberg to shoot something in 65mm to have 70mm prints made. With his recent films, from "Saving Private Ryan" to "Minority Report", he seems to be in love with the color drained and grainy film look. He would need to do a complete 180 degree turn in style to use 70mm.
And Indy IV would be an ideal project to make that 180 degree turn in style. But considering Lucas is producing, I won't be at all surprised if Indiana Jones And The Whatever They Decide To Call It is shot in HD 24p like the recent Star Wars episodes.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 06:15 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spielberg on shooting film or digital:

http://www.theraider.net/newsarchives/indy4/2003_january.php

quote:
Given Lucas' commitment for shooting digitally and Spielberg's passion for
film-rarely among Directors, he even edits on film - Indy 4 suggests an other
battle of the beards; but, apparently not. "I would do anything for my friend George Lucas, including compromising my own belief system. But I think practically speaking, there aren't going to be enough theatres even in 2005 to exhibit digital film to make it worth my while to commit digitally to Indy 4 at this time. If there were 2,000 screens with digital projectors I might seriously consider it for George and his vision of the future. But it looks like there's no chance that the theatres will put it in the next three years, so I'll be happily shooting Indy 4 on film."

Spielberg seems very enthusiastic about Indy 4 and now we also know that the film won't be shot digitally. Thanks to Luke Roberts for letting us know.

http://www.theraider.net/newsarchives/indy4/2002_august.php

quote:

The Edmonton Journal reports that Steven Spielberg is no fan of digital moviemaking. "I don't want to shoot digital movies," Spielberg says. "I like film."

"I love shooting on film and I love editing on film. I know that digital will do the same thing film will do. It will still use lenses. It will still capture the same images. The difference is that digital is like acrylic paint. It's so photo-realistic that you don't see any flaws. With traditional film, where you have it going through shutters in a film gate, it's alive with grain -- compared to digital, it's like an impressionist painting. I would still rather see a still life painted by an impressionist than a still life painted by Norman Rockwell."

But as a favor to George Lucas on Indiana Jones 4, he might use it. "I'd do anything for George and if George asked me to shoot Indiana Jones 4 on digital, I'd do it. But my duties will always be to shoot on film."

http://www.moviebone.com/vault/usenet/spielberg.html

quote:
SPIELBERG WON'T SHOOT FILMS DIGITALLY

Steven Spielberg has vowed to continue to make movies
"the old fashioned way," on celluloid rather than on
hard disks. Speaking Wednesday night at the Smithsonian
Institution's Baird Auditorium in Washington D.C., where
he received the James Smithson Bicentennial Medal,
Spielberg distanced himself from his longtime friend and
sometime colleague George Lucas, who has announced plans
to shoot his next Star Wars movie entirely on digital media.
As reported in today's (Thursday) Washington Post, Spielberg
told the Smithsonian audience: "I'm going to make all my
films on film until they close the last lab down."
The audience cheered.

Source: http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 07:25 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete

[Embarrassed]

[ 11-07-2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Dick Vaughan ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-06-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick said
"Pete

Was your Vic8 install anywhere near Penrith by any chance?"

I didn't notice any Pete on this thread...Sure you're in the right place? Especially Since not all Sic 8's run 70mm [Wink] .

I would suspect that the 70mm reader is more expensive due to the smaller number of them sold.....

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Lacheur wrote:

quote:
I'd love to see 70mm resurrected here in BC. Does anyone know if VFS has any 70mm titles in there depots?

I recall that Gordon McLeod has mentioned several titles with good 70mm prints at Victoria Film Service in Toronto. Fading should be negligible on any prints made after about 1982, or prints that were stored in the long-term storage conditions specified in SMPTE Recommended Practice RP131 or Standard ANSI/PIMA IT9.11

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1300.00 for a DTS reader is cheap compared to the cost of a 6 track mag head

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-06-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete started this thread Mark.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl that would require reading the entire topic obviously to much effort
Most Vic8 sold in canada were dual machines and those that were not are a fast conversion

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was first: The duck or the egg ??
Distributors wants to be sure, exhibitors are ready to run 70dts, and exhibitors want to be sure, there are enough prints to run.
Yeah, 1.300 bucks for a reader is peanuts compared with a mag head, but its not coming all alone - there will be more costs to get ready /maybe two readers on each of two projectors ? / and You still have to split the amount on the bill between the number of shows, they'll make You able to run. In Denmark, we still have O-N-E 70mm/dts print - Titanic - and how many readers do You think, will that one pay today ?
Would still love to run some real stuff again, someday...

Per

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive one of the bond films plus Independance day palyed 70mm DTS in scandanavia

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: