Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Is there a database or list of small, single screen theatres?

Author Topic: Is there a database or list of small, single screen theatres?
Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the Magic Theatre, where I work, has 62 seats. I am trying to find a website or resource for finding out where we 'rank' in terms of the size of our theatre vs. other small theatres. We are a single screen.

Does anyone know where I might research what other small, single screens are out there? I imagine the number is not large! One reason why I would like to know is because it is information I can use in marketing the theatre. Might as well try to turn our size into an asset!

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cinematreasures.org/ Isn't a bad place to start
Also http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=1 under Singles, twins, Trio's and Quads has some listings.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 02:03 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
62 seats is very small for a single screen theatre. Honestly, I don't understand how it stays open. You don't have enough seats to make money on big pictures which you need to tide you over the ones that tank. Most existing single screen theatres were built from the 1920's thru 1960's, and typically have between 300 and 1000 seats.

Another site you may want to look at is CinemaTour, although none of these sites lets you search by number of screens or capacity.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-17-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to try to compile a list of such theatrs, I think that you would run into the question of what constitutes a single-screen theatre.

If you were to list the number of for-profit cinemas which are open daily and which are primarily used to screen films, the number in the US would be rather small (probably 200-300).

If you were to expand that list to include nonprofits, venues which are open seasonally or which have a different primary purpose, but screen films occasionally, and single screens which have been multiplexed but where the original auditorium is more-or-less retained as is, the list would be much longer.

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It stays open because the owner loves the place. ;-)

There might be a move in the future to allow for 2 screens and slightly larger houses. Curious what size house is really needed to turn a profit....any ideas? 150 seats for each screen (2 screens), etc?? I say a 'profit' not a HUGE profit....just a profit. We might add the beer/wine bar too.

But, this is what we have for now.

Scott, I would be interested in a list of for-profit theatres that are open every day to screen films (your middle paragraph). Sounds like a list doesn't really exist but I can take a look at the sites mentioned to get an idea of what is still out there.

Thanks!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
although none of these sites lets you search by number of screens or capacity.
Cinema Treasures does give a search mode that shows number of screens and seats based on their database of theatres.

At the top of their Home Page screen, click Theater Guide. And you will find a few search areas like Number of Seats , Number of screens and few more things.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to our records, there are 1,913 single-screen theaters that we have marked as active. 124 of those theaters are located in California.

"Active" means that they are capable of showing movies, and have at some point in the recent past (this may include museums, student unions, etc.).

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a single screen in the rural Northeast Louisiana town of Oak Grove, Pop. 2,637. Our current building was built in 1950 and seats 700, 480 (Main Floor) 200 (Balcony) 20 (Cryroom). We average around 80 people a night and about 300 durring a blockbuster like New Moon, showing movies about 4 weeks after they open.

You can find info on us at Facebook, Myspace and Wikpedia.

Hope that helps in your research.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single screen theatres I know of in Montana:

Roxy Theatre, Forsyth MT (www.roxytheatre.net) (that's us!)
Montana Theatre, Miles City MT
Centre Cinema, Hardin MT
Pastime Theatre, Broadus MT
Centre Theatre, Sidney MT
Rose Theatre, Glendive, MT
Roxy Cinema, Shelby MT
Entertainer Theatre, Ronan MT
Washoe Theatre, Anaconda MT
Dome Theatre, Libby MT

All of these are "pure" single screens, meaning they are currently open and showing current (or recent) films for profit, and not twinned or anything like that.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an example of the confusion over the definition, here is what we have in the Boston area (all with 35mm, unless otherwise noted):

Four actual, for-profit single-screen theatres that show films on a regular basis:

- Stuart Street Playhouse (Boston, MA.) (first-run art)
- Belmont Studio Cinema (Belmont, MA.) (mostly second run mainstream)
- Loring Hall Cinema (Hingham, MA.) (first-run art)
- Cabot St. Cinema (Beverly, MA.) (open for debate--does magic shows instead of film on weekends) (mostly second run mainstream)

One non-profit single-screen:

- Brattle Theatre (Cambridge, MA.) (repertory)

Two art museums:

- Museum of Fine Arts (Boston, MA.) (regular film program)
- Institute for Contemporary Art (Boston, MA.) (occasional film program)

Several colleges with 35mm capability:

- Northeastern University (Boston, MA.) (shows film rarely)
- MIT (Cambridge, MA.) (regular film program)
- Harvard / Harvard Film Archive (Cambridge, MA.) (regular film program)
- Wellesley College (Wellesley, MA.) (shows film rarely)
- Boston University (Boston, MA.) (no public programming that I know of)

One performing arts center:

- Wang Theatre (Boston, MA.) (has not run film since about 2005; 35/70 equipment supposedly removed)

Two theatres with very occasional film programming:

- Regeant Theatre (Arlington, MA.)
- Orpheum Theatre (Foxboro, MA.)

Several Imax houses:

- New England Aquarium (Boston, MA.)
- Museum of Science (Boston, MA.) (dome screen)
- Jordans Imax (various locations) (SR systems)

One military theatre:

- Hanscom Air Force Base (Bedford, MA.) (Friday/Saturday film screenings)

Several venues with 16mm capability (only):

- Boston Public Library (Boston, MA.) (regular film program)
- Babson College (Wellesley, MA.) (not sure on current status)
- Goethe Institute (Boston, MA.) (not sure on current status)
- others?

So...which of these should be counted as single-screen theatres?

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2009 12:02 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,
I can't answer your general question "which of these should be counted as single-screen?"...but, I can answer it in terms of my original question.

I am comparing our theatre (The Magic Theatre) to other similar theatres. Therefore, from your list it looks like only only the first three theatres listed would be on that list.

Those being for profit, single-screens that are open daily (or, almost daily) showing 35mm films.

But, I was mostly interested in where we rank in terms of size. I got some good ideas about that from the Cinema Treasures website.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-21-2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Montana also has the Wilma Theatre in Missoula. But, it's another one that blurs the line. It has one huge screen (1400 seats) and then it has another one in the basement, built in the 1980s, that apparently isn't used all the time now. Even their main screen doesn't always show movies; they have concerts and boxing matches in there, too.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2010 08:20 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Celine, I'm glad to hear the Magic is still on the screen! I installed the 35 equipment many years ago with Guy Eriksen! I installed 35mm in the State theatre in Auburn last fall, they are running on a single screen ( was twinned years ago ) and they will be taking the dividing wall down soon to restore the auditorium back to a single screen and to be able to utilize the original full stage! Is Mike Getz still running all the other screens around you? And there is another house in MT that Mike didn't mention, the Lincoln in Troy MT, it is operated by the owners of the Dome. The Wilma still has the art deco 1155 seat main house, ( with a Robert Morton pipe organ ) the two screens in the basement are now offices, but they do have a small (80? seat ) screen in an old storefront next to the lobby. So theoretically, it is the Wilma 1 & 2. Plus, they have installed a new vertical sign fashioned after the 1920's original! Unfortunately, the city of Missoula will not let them light it with neon!! Email me!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2010 08:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

I didn't realize there were two screens in the Wilma basement....I suppose that building has a ton of secrets! Thanks for the correct seat count for the main house - that was a guess on my part...I guess I was thinking of the former Fox Theatre in Billings -- I'm pretty sure their seat count was in the 1400 range.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: