Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Indiana Jones - Audio dropouts intentional???

Author Topic: Indiana Jones - Audio dropouts intentional???
Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
From boingboing.com today:

"While at the cinema yesterday, I read a notice posted by the box office that Paramount has intentionally silenced bits of the soundtrack of _Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull_ in order to deter and track piracy. The notice acknowledged that the momentary silences were annoying but that it was out of their control. Basically it said, please don't bug the manager if the sound drops out, unless it lasts more than a minute.

"I searched this morning, but I can't find any mention of this on the web. I was going to snap a picture of the notice to post on my blog, but my cell phone battery had died--and I probably would have been chased off by a security guard."

There was no link for further info. I know another thread here showed images of odd soundtrack dropouts - but to intentionally screw up your own movie? That's like adding big letters saying "pirated from theater 2150A" to each print.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-28-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell your blogger to look at this thread:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f1/t009305.html

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 05:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wayne Keyser
I know another thread here showed images of odd soundtrack dropouts
Then maybe this thread should've just added to that one. Keeps it all in one place.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"more than a minute"? [Smile]

Why don't more than 10 minutes?

[Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wayne Keyser
The notice acknowledged that the momentary silences were annoying but that it was out of their control.
This "notice" is disturbing on several levels.

1. Why would they CALL ATTENTION to a flaw in the movie, when 90% of people won't even notice it?

2. If they are experiencing those audio dropouts, their system should be setup to drop to analog and average moviegoers won't notice (or care about) the problem. There should never be a drop to complete silence for more than a split second, should there?

3. If they are really getting complaints about it, rather than dodge the problem with a stupid sign, they should refund those tickets and attach a note to the boxoffice report explaining why they had to give those refunds. I know that's what I plan to do here, if we get any complaints, but I don't anticipate any.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-28-2008 08:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continued discussion of Indiana Jones audio drop outs and CAP coding at the link Joe provided.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: