Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Audio CAP on Indy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Audio CAP on Indy
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-22-2008 12:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over in his FHMR review, Brad notes the presence of Audio CAP codes on Indy:

-

That looks really bad! It sounds like we in the US are doomed to deal with that Europe has been suffering with for some time. It looks very much like the coding Marco Giustini posted photos of from Technicolor's Rome lab in March (in New Anti-Piracy coding which I just bumped):

-

What does it sound like on Indy? Does it affect SDDS and DTS as well as SRD and analog?

Brad's picture suggests two blips a frame-and-a-half apart, but I imagine there's got to be more to it than that if they're actually going to code 14 bits of information in there.

Also, is this on all prints? Were all prints at Deluxe, or were some also at Technicolor? (not rare for a huge release)

Seems to me this is a much bigger issue for NATO to get on than a few padlocks.

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 01:13 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we have it on our print, I didn't notice it during the screening.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we screened this last night the DTS sound track seemed perfect nothing odd at any point and it never fell out that I could tell. Exactly what are they encoding at these points?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-22-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The show prints were made at Technicolor lab. The general release prints were made at Deluxe.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
When we screened this last night the DTS sound track seemed perfect nothing odd at any point and it never fell out
When we screened it last night reel 6 would bump in and out of DTS and it was very distracting, I wonder if it is on select reels, and I wonder it this is what made the DTS go in and out?

Analog would be there to fill in the blanks but it was noticeable!

Mike

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 02:54 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not make up the Indy print so I did not have a chance to look for the crap coding on the soundtrack. However when we ran it off in SDDS there were multiple dropouts at the end of Reel 2 (clustered together) and then there were three (3) seperate dropouts in Reel 5 (at different points in time) during the truck chase. I ASSUMED that this was what Brad was talking about.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might watch this tonight in one of my SRD houses. What are the symptoms of this on SRD? Will it cause a drop to analog or just an irritating noise? I may also be interlocking this between a DTS house and an SRD house, and my DTS house has analog problems at the moment. Will it cause a drop from DTS, and if so, how long to reacquire DTS? I did not build up either of my prints, so I don't know what shenanigans there are.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-22-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we have the same CrAP too on reel 5, three times a reel.

Unbeliveable.

70cm, 27 inches, of blacked SRD (and SDDS too) and that blue thing on SR. I didn't screened Indy 4 (other projectionists are doing right now) but I suppose that it will sound like a small micro-interruption in the sound, plus the SR revertion.

Technicolor CAP has been "improved" during time. Lately it's almost not udible with a very short drop and a very short "beep" (but you have to have perfectly SR setup and a recent Dolby processor like 650).

What is this? 3 seconds of analog sound? This is just nonsense.

How many millions wasted in this thing? I really can't believe it.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have received complaints about the sound dropping out in one of our SR-D houses.

We have had this same problem with two different prints (in the same house).

We swapped prints after the initial problem during the midnight show, but we had the same problem again today.

In both cases it has only been reel 5.

I am hoping that at least one of our 5 prints does not have this problem.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-22-2008 05:40 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a problem it's intentional.

Call the distributor and complain. I think it's the only chance.

Otherwise, you can pay your next 10k bucks Dolby processor with money with a blue line on it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-22-2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone complains about this, give them refunds even if they saw the entire show. State why the refunds were given and be sure to let Paramount know.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
State why the refunds were given and be sure to let Paramount know.

...and be sure to give the customers a contact for Paramount and/or Deluxe.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-22-2008 06:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the BEST thing to do (although I doubt few managers have the balls to do it) is to make a friendly announcement at the beginning of the movie that if the sound blips in reel 5 are annoying to them to please let a manager know when the movie is out so they can be issued a refund. At that time they should be given the phone number to Paramount and urged to complain.

After all, the theater makes their money from the concession stand.

I want to know what the studio is doing to fuck up the DIGITAL prints!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-22-2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...a barrage of complaints by as many people as possible in all forms...would certainly catch their attention. I'm sure someone at the studio actually thinks most people won't notice. Prove them wrong.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2008 06:55 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This audio CRAP code is the most retarded idea I've ever seen. Do they think the pirates won't be able to mute this out or alter it? COME ON.

Maybe with digital cinema they will be able to come up with an inaudible audio cap code that will be difficult for the pirates to figure out how to filter but this is just STUPID. Plus, can't the pirates just record a DTS version that doesn't drop out???

Is this actually done photographically or are they printing some kind of ink on the film? If it's the latter, maybe it can be removed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: