Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » My speech class and the movie biz... wondering if I could get a few quotes.

Author Topic: My speech class and the movie biz... wondering if I could get a few quotes.
Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, I'm in summer speech and we have to give a persuasive speech. I'm doing mine on why you should support your local movie theaters, and I was wondering if I could treat this thread as an interview thread and get some quotes from the various experts here about why movie theatres are better than the possible outcome of home theatre replacing the whole going out experience. I also plan on discussing a few details and pointing out the big mega pros and cons verses the pros and cons of a locally owned theatre and why support could literally remove most cons of the local guy.

I have to cite quite a few sources, and I thought some citations of folks here would be great since many of the most respected experts in the industry regularly post here.

Thanks in advance... [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-07-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some earlier issues of Kodak's "Film Notes for Reel People" had articles about the advantages of the theatre experience, and about theatre "showmanship" in general:

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=1

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=963&category=2

Try issues H-50-15 through H-50-19

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's perfect John. Thanks so much. Plus, I'm citing your awards and achievements as my number one credibility witness (so to speak lol). [Smile]

This is the type of audience that tends to be split down the middle.. half will scream if you were to play a full screen DVD, and the other half would scream if you played the widescreen version not wanting the black bars. lol It should be fun to hear the feedback on my speech.

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2007 04:49 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going to the movies is a social experience, a movie is funnier, scarier, more dramatic and so on when you have an audience to share the experience with you. Nothing is funnier than having that one person who has a great laugh in the theatre with you. I compare it to yoga by yourself in your house or in a class setting where you can all be as one. For that reason I believe that the theatre will never replace the home viewing experience.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: