Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Grosses for RETURN OF THE KING -- nowhere to be found?

Author Topic: Grosses for RETURN OF THE KING -- nowhere to be found?
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 07:42 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked the weekend box office results to do my usual comparison, and I was frustrated that Return of the King isn't even on the list!! No, not because it's not pulling in the cash, it just isn't there.

I checked two different sources, and neither of them list Return of the King in the top 100 this week. There are some movies near the bottom of the list that are making LESS in OVERALL grosses than ROTK is making per-screen alone! (Unless, there's a 115% drop from last week.) What gives?

I thought it might be that after a certain number of weeks they stop counting it with the others, but then I thought of Greek Wedding and all those IMAX movies that play for 7 years taking in $2 a day that are still listed. Did all theaters just not report grosses for King this week?

It's not the first time I've seen movies just "disappear" like this. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was another one that was around #20 one week and completely gone every week thereafter. And it was pulling in more money at our theater than most of the movies at the bottom. Go figure.

Anyone know what the deal with this is? I wonder if Return of the King's all-time tally will move up at all from its current $375M or if they'll just quietly forget to factor in last week's missing numbers. [eyes]

Methinks someone is trying to ensure Passion passes it.

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have all prints been pulled where it is not going to have a weekly gross?

Link to All time movie rankings

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-21-2004 08:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROTK is #27 for last weekend.
See this list:
http://www.filmreleases.com/filmreleases/fbox.htm

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 09:52 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly the same issue but I have a similar question that has been bugging me for a while. When a theatre plays an old film (like an 80s film), reports grosses to EDI with all the others and it did really well (enough to be ahead to many other 1 screen listings), why is it never listed on the weekend actuals? I just assumed that once a movies "closes" that it doesn't ever change it's accumulated gross anymore?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Weekend Grosses numbers are actually provided by the studios. In many cases, the studio simply stops tracking a film after a certain number of weeks.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-21-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROTK is still playing here at Cinemark's $1.50 theater.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still shows up here:

Box Office Mojo

They have weekly and daily figures for almost every movie.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rank 25 Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Week 18, Locations 295, Weekend Gross 156,484 -19, Week Gross 183,137 -26.

Rank 154 Kill Bill Vol. 1 MIR Week 28, Locations 2 Weekend Gross 15, Week Gross 769 -31

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-22-2004 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know you don't want to hear this, Thomas, but if this keeps up, Passion will pass it. But that thread is over here.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. I guess we are ONE of the TWO theaters still playing Kill Bill Vol. 1!! (and it's our top movie -- made way more than the listed $15.)

ROTK doesn't show up here: http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html

Or here: www.the-numbers.com

[Confused]

=TMP=

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'm guessing that your theatre doesn't participate with Rentrak.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sure do. Rentrak AND EDI. [Confused]

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rentrak has different levels of security. You can choose to have your numbers viewable only by you, only by the studios, or by everybody. I think you can also pick and choose who has access to your numbers.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-23-2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what do theatres get out of dealing with Rentrack and/or EDI? On the surface, it sounds like a raw deal for the exhibitor, but there must be some reason to do it. Do they pay for that information?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about EDI ... but we get access to Rentrak's database. Plus, most of the distributors get their numbers directly from EDI or Rentrak ... so we don't have to give numbers directly to each distributor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: