Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Grosses for PASSION OF CHRIST - a 100 Million in 5 days ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Grosses for PASSION OF CHRIST - a 100 Million in 5 days ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Internet first came into India, I was the first student applicant with the sole governmental ISP, VSNL - that was nearly 10 years ago. I have been surfing the net since then and not once have I seen a movie so talked about everywhere on the net like it is happening now for PASSION OF CHRIST.

I wonder what the Box office performance for this film will be. Here is my take :

For the five day period, Feb-25 to Feb-29, this movie will easily rake in 100 Million USD across North America.

Through its entire run, it will cross the 400 million mark for the same territory.

Folks that have not been to a Multiplex in years will line up before their local theatres to watch this film.

The integrity of the film maker, Mel Gibson in producing this film in two then spoken, but now dead languages, Latin and Aramic will come in for wide appreciation from people everywhere. This single decision by the producer will be seen as an act that deserves to be rewarded heavily in these times and age.

The critics will write much good about the film and in that, many will write little and not risk being thought of as commenting negatively about this film - they will know too well that many people have already made up their minds to watch this film and so, to even remotely pursuade otherwise is like inviting readers to discount over the critics.

The studio system, whereever it exists and penetrates, will be thoroughly humbled and even humiliated by the success and reach of this film. There will be much debate, mostly in North America, over the sorry state of the studio system and fears and concerns expressed over whether it stifles creativity, independence and integrity in film making.

The enormous success of this film will do many things to the Motion picture industry worldwide.

Irrespective of their faiths and religious beliefs, people around the world will come forward to watch this film and many will find in this film, a purpose and meaning that may most likely transcend the objectives of the film maker.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-07-2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now...I think maybe there ought to be a little contest regarding opening grosses.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 12:22 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will stand by what I said before. It will have a huge opening weekend but I don't expect too much after that. I just don't see this movie getting the kind of repeat viewings that it would need to get $400 - 500 million. Who knows I may be wrong (and part of me hopes that I am). I will be adding a few more bodies to my staff for the extra business. Considering how liberal Hollywood tends to be, I will be very interested to see how it does around awards time next year.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opening week till Thursday midnight 48 million

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 06:28 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect numbers to be similar to the numbers for Schindler's List. Despite all the acclaim and the awards, that movie got very close to but did not cross the $100 million barrier. Although The Passion of the Christ will get similar acclaim (but perhaps not similar awards), that is no guarantee of blockbuster numbers. And you can't ignore the fact that, among many conservative Christians, the R rating will be a factor in keeping them and/or their families away. So, in light of these consideration and inflation, I'll predict a final gross of somewhere below $150 million for The Passion of the Christ.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 06:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, some one seems to do this story on film every 10 to 20 years , since before I was born. Mel seems to have done an exceptional job though.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the fact the subject is mounted in a feature every 10 to 20 years, there was Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth. The film was originally a 1977 six hour mini series which was shown in some markets as a two three hour presentations over two nights. I ran this as series of screenings with Mr. Zeffirelli and some of his staff for the movie The Champ, which he made in Miami in 1979. He was visibly moved and his eyes misty when he told me that he preferred that the film be presented on a large cinema screen.
The controversy regarding Mr. Gibson's interpertation of the rough handling of Jesus by the Jews has well displayed recently on a CNN interview which created short of a shouting match between a noted Rabbi and a lay person from the Catholic church.
Controversy or no the imperfect Mel Gibson should be judged in the marketplace...and has the courage to spend his own money.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-08-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the rough handling of Jesus by the Jews
I wouldn't say they quite rolled out the red carpet for him.
[Roll Eyes]

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this film will have more repeat viewings than LOTR series. I also think it will reach the largest population base in history. Once many adults see the film, it will encourage them to take their children, even with the R rating. I am confident that in many markets, it will be the highest grossing film they've ever played.

quote:
The enormous success of this film will do many things to the Motion picture industry worldwide.

I hope so!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 09:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure about repeat viewings on this one. The movie is being described as "shattering," etc. I think once a lot of people have seen it, it will leave them so disturbed and "shattered" that they may not want to see it again. It'll be interesting to watch what happens, for sure.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R rating for this film, given for the violence and not for the foul language, may not hold back people from thronging the theatres with their kids - unlike in most other films, the violence in this film is neither going to be gratuitous nor gimmicky. Many people will see the violence in this film as having some meaning or as a pointer for a realisation of kind and so, may not much hesitate to have their kids see this film. So, I completely discount the R factor in estimating the Box office performance for this film.

Outside of the US, as many here already know, the R factor simply wont matter.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how it's gonna do, but I was very surprised to see Regal advertising advanced ticket sales for it in their newspaper ad this weekend.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one watching the exploitation, media coverage, PR, etc. & having Cecil B. DeMille religious movie flashbacks? It seems to be just riding the bus C. B. built.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-09-2004 04:17 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont blame the movie for riding the coattails of other biblical films. The media writes thier own copy to report.

This film is unlike any other biblical film. It has controversy rooted in religeous hatred, as opposed to the kind of controversy that killed other such films like The Last Temptation of Christ, where it was banned by the vatican.

In this one, christian groups and leaders have given the thumbs up on this picture, I am unsure where the vatican stands, but they are not planning a ban on it, last I heard the pope actually liked the screening of the film.

I agree with the original assessment at the beginning of this thread on how much money it will do.

Ciao

Dave

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2004 04:36 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David S. (Eugene, OR)
Yes, Regal is doing the same here in Seattle.
Landmark has the film booked at the Neptune and I'm told this is the largest number of advance sales for any film in a long time.
Talk about press, the Seattle Times ran a "front page" story on the film in Sundays edition, there was an hour long discussion on a talk radio show Sunday night on the anti-Semetic theme of the film and a local TV station did a 5 minute story on a forum being held in Seattle Monday between various religious leaders on this.
All I can say, here in Seattle Mel couldn't have bought this kind of publicity. I think it will do well here. In fact, boffo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: