Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Accepted (2006)

Author Topic: Accepted (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2006 07:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So generally I like about half a dozen movies throughout the course of the year. Yesterday I screened Snakes on a Plane and tonight I screened Accepted. Amazingly enough, there was TWO movies, yes count them TWO movies in one week that I am giving thumbs up to.

This movie is exactly what the trailer depicted it to be, but unlike most comedies of this type, it wasn't stupid. There is good dialogue and funny sequences throughout. Definitely worth a watch.

3.5 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 10:17 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Proof for my theory....

[ 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hipp ]

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 04:37 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie a lot, though I feel they did not explore the life on the campus of South Harmon Institute of Technology as well as they could have. I think another reel, perhaps 2 at most, could have enhanced the story... As is, the movie feels too short, like it was rushed and cropped down into 90 minutes.

I'd give it 3.75 out of 5 stars.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although, its not a classic film by any means, its definitely a great little comedy. Tons of great one liners and visual delites! Lots of swearing. Some great characters that carry the movie from start to finish. Gotta love the ADD student and the fat kid with the curly hair. If it doesn't do well boxoffice wise, it will certainly do extremely well on dvd. Well worth the price of admittance, if ya had to pay to see it. My only concern is that parents will think that it is ok for their little kids to see since the film was rated PG13, but the swearing in it has been brought to attention more than once since it opened on friday. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Tom Hayes
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 03:14 AM      Profile for Tom Hayes   Email Tom Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it tonight and liked it.

I don't remember a lot of swearing at all, except the word 'shit' which is the acronym for the college South Hampton Institute of Technology. (SHIT)

There was a single 'F word", but it was bleeped.

As for the movie - I liked it alot.

Yes it absurd. Yes it silly. yes its unrealistic. But I like that sometimes.

And it was free of the gross-out humor that has been too present since the 'Something About Mary' imitators got on the scene.

I thought the 'bad guys' were actaully okay people too. I didn't like them but they weren't awful. They didn't try to kill anyone. They just didn't like our band of outcasts.

No one had sex with a pie, no one barfed on a dog, no gays were made fun of. That's fairly refreshing.

AND this film shows that you should question authority. That's missing in a lot of the 'teen comedies' of today.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there was a... shitload of "shit" all over the place [Smile] And when the Dean guy met the parents, he said "FUCKIN A" to the mom ( LOL )

Other than that... funny movie!

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 11:57 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How Was The Greco Factor?

William Clark
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2006 12:57 AM      Profile for William Clark   Email William Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really like this movie. I watched the dry run of it right after I had watched Snakes on a Plane, and while I thought Snakes was great (more on that in its thread), I guess I was just in the wrong mood for this movie.

The entire time I was watching it, I kept imagining Justin Long saying "I'm a Mac." It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't particularly good, in my opinion.

2 out of 5 from me.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2006 02:49 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is just what it should be. It's not over the top, and its not dull. The diolog is consistently silly and fun and I think Justin Long really held his ground well in his first lead roll. The music is well placed and pacing is very good.

Tight focus and a great SDDS track to boot.

[thumbsup] 3.5/5

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It had some good scenes. Some nudity would have enchanced the viewing experience.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-28-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 08:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe anyone hasn't pointed out that this is simply "Animal House (Ultra) Lite." A college movie with most of the comedy, vulgarity and nudity watered down for the PG-13 rating.

Fercryingoutloud, the fat curly haired kid in this movie is exactly the same as the fat kid in "Animal House"....he's even a "legacy" in both films who can't get noticed on Pledge Night! If he'd borrowed his brother's car it would have been a complete carbon copy!

The difference is, this film isn't true to its characters. There is a tacked-on, feel-good family friendly ending, whereas in Animal House the characters stayed true to themselves right up to the end of the movie (and beyond, thanks to the end titles).

That said, this did have some good laughs and a decent Greco factor. So I'll give it 3 stars out of 5, with two stars docked for ripping off a classic, but 1 star added back in for the wet t-shirt dance scene and other glimpses of scantily clad females, net total 2 stars.

I realize that many film-techers are under 30 and thus may not have seen "Animal House" or may not have even heard of it. (Or have only seen it in badly-edited form on TV.) To you poor deprived souls I say, go rent it now. Seriously.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: