Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Waiting...(2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Waiting...(2005)
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2005 12:21 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy [bs]

This movie was so freaking funny!!! Hot girls + Andy Milonakis + Revenge on asshole customers = Frigging COOL movie. It gives a new meaning to "show your dick".

Be sure to stay through the whole credits...

This movie is on par with Harold and Kumar in funny, maybe even funnier.

Movie 4.98765/5
Greco Factor 5/5

If anything, see this for the Greco factor. The girls here are FINE!!! Especially the hostess...

|  IP: Logged

David Nightingale
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for David Nightingale   Email David Nightingale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound: Digital

The movie was pretty funny in parts...could have been better though! Sub-par 3/5.

Also the hot hostess Greco mentions is 17 in the movie but 20 in real life, so its OK [thumbsup]

[ 12-07-2005, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: David Nightingale ]

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 02:41 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my employees who seen it said it was great. I even had one employee see it 3 times this weekend. I plan on seeing it on my day off.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 01:44 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting was ok, it wasn't as funny as I had it built up to be. It made me laugh about 10-15 times, but never really laughed too hard. I'm not sure where your getting such a high Greco factor at Richard, there was only 4 good looking girls out of them all.
all in all I give it
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] out of [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hostess, Anna Faris, and the other waitress did it for me. Their hotness made it up for a 5

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 10:31 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dickinson Penn Square 10
Oklahoma City, OK
Sound: DTS
Presentation Problems: Repeated DTS dropouts at the beginning of Reel 2, excessive jump during credits (believed to be the film, not the projector).

Hilarious movie. I laughed my butt off, but I agree with the sentiment that it could have been a little better. I'd give it 4/5.

"Oooh, it's so veiny!"

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
Anna Faris
Richard my friend, Anna Faris is a dog, well in my book. The two bartenders the hostess and the waiter dudes gf are smoken, but man anna faris...WOOF WOOF...well thats just MHO [beer]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2005 02:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
People go to the movies to see the movie. Theaters need to not forget about that and put more attention to the quality of the very product that brought the customers to their theater in the first place. With this in mind I give you my review.

Friday, October 14th
AMC Mesquite "Studio" 30 in Mesquite, TX
Auditorium #29
8:35PM performance

Mark this date as the first time I have paid to see a movie in 20 years (it was "Back to the Future", by the way). I was with some friends and this was a spur of the moment decision. I know how wrong this was of me, but what the heck I'll pay for a movie every other decade. Speaking of buying tickets, wow have things improved. Automated, non-human ticketing kicks much ass! [thumbsup]

The lobby was clean, the employees presentable and courteous. No complaints whatsoever. Same goes for the auditorium's cleanliness and general upkeep. AMC has done a nice job so far.

But wait, AMC has one of those stupid "2wenty" programs. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! It's bad too...really, really bad. The content is way too "tv'ish", rushed and uninteresting, the picture is horribly pixely and soft, but the sound is godawful! I was pretty sure someone stuck a bullhorn up in the ceiling and was using it to play back the preshow's audio. Ewwwwww! Ick! Did I mention how terribly bad the sound was on the preshow? We are talking to each other "must be the input they are using to the sound processor...the movie won't sound this bad." I'm telling ya, the sound was bad. Really fucking bad.

So now it's time for the show to start. Wife #2 turns to me and says "how did they make the sound suck this bad?" ...no wait, that's someone else's review.

So now it's time for the show to start. The preshow ends and the changeover to film is timed nicely. The show starts in frame and with semi-decent focus, but HOLY CRAP was the opening AMC snipe beaten to shit! It looked like a piece of film that had been ran every day for about 300 years. Come on guys, you had to be there to start the projector, you KNOW how crappy the condition of those snipes are! It should be illegal to run film that is beaten that badly. Big [thumbsdown] here.

So trailer #1 comes on screen and it is at this point I come to the realization that the sound isn't going to get any better. WOW is the sound bad! I'm guessing every woofer in the room was blown to the point of not even being able to rattle. Speech sounded harsh with no hint of warmth whatsoever. Damn someone needs to run a B-chain on this room. I just can't get over how bad the sound is. This may be in fact the worst sounding auditorium I have ever heard!

Then trailer #2 runs, then #3, then #4, then #5, then #6, then #7, then #8, then #9, then #10, then #11, then #12. Ok maybe there weren't 12 trailers, but there had to be AT LEAST 8 trailers on this movie. I seriously lost count. By the time the feature actually began, we were drained from all of the fast paced preshow and trailers. AMC really needs to rethink this policy. It's just too much crap before the feature.

So how was the trailer presentation you ask? The volume was WAY too damn loud and by the end of it I had an obvious headache (no doubt much of this was due to the incredibly shitty sound in this auditorium). Then there was the turret issue. I know it's a turret issue because I've seen it many times before on a Simplex. Essentially the entire projector is vibrating and it was causing almost double images horizontally that was very noticeable on text, but I noticed it throughout the entire film. Most customers probably wouldn't notice, but I have a hard time believing that the projectionists didn't notice how bad the titles looked when they went to focus and reported it to their service tech. Other than those two pretty major problems, the trailer presentation was fine.

So here comes the feature. What? Huh? Sssssssssh! <leans forward toward screen and turns head slightly> What did he say? Oh yeah, that whole "let's reduce the trailer volume program" thing was a huge waste of time as was proven by the fact that the movie was so quiet the dialogue started getting lost into the noise of the room. It essentially forced the audience into trying to hold in their laughter because the volume was flat out too low, and as a result we did not enjoy the movie as much as we should have.

10 minutes goes by and I get up. I go to the satellite concession stand where a friendly concessionist gets a manager for me. I didn't catch the guy's name, but he was a heavy set fellow who followed me back into the auditorium and gave me the impression that he didn't agree that this was a problem that needed to be fixed. A quick "it would behoove you not to upset me over this" expression from me and he radios upstairs. Lucky him.

A solid 10 minutes later the volume is increased...slightly. I am not impressed, but at least it was loud enough to follow the dialogue as people munched on popcorn, coughed, laughed and moved around.

Whoever was running the booth should've gotten his lazy ass downstairs and personally set that level! I seriously hope someone from AMC is reading this and will fire the lazy twat. Whoever you were running the booth that night, you suck! There is absolutely no excuse for not doing your job.

The movie itself was highly entertaining, and quite accurate of what really happens at many restaurants and general food service establishments. I plan on seeing it again (but at a different theater).

AMC Mesquite 30 initial rating by the time I got to the auditorium 5 out of 5 stars

AMC Mesquite 30 once I started to suffer through the lame video preshow advertising extravaganza 4 out of 5 stars

AMC Mesquite 30 after the previews started and I realized the sound was going to continue to suck 3 out of 5 stars

AMC Mesquite 30 after the feature started and the sound was unacceptably quiet 1 out of 5 stars

AMC Mesquite 30 after I had to leave my movie to go remind the staff that they aren't doing their job 0 out of 5 stars...because by this point the experience did not warrant a score higher than this. The bad sound hurt the score, but the booth staff on duty that night completely killed it.

Waiting 4 out of 5 stars Afterwards we went to Bennigans and were all overly paranoid that the stoner waiter of our was doing stuff to our food. [Wink]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Brad, you sat there before getting up much longer than I ever thought you would. [Big Grin]

And you assumed that the twat running the booth actually bothers to look out a port hole. As a customer, I've watched a many "threaders" start a feature, and many of them never glance at the screen. They are at the projector just long enough to punch the start button, then are gone.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I was *trying* to just enjoy the movie. 10 minutes was the limit of what I could take.

The last movie I saw at this theater was when Chris Hipp was running it. His booth operation was hands down the best AMC has ever had and the prints shined. Coupled with an always good floor operation, it was a good theater to go to. Things have changed though, as it pretty much sucks now. Lesson learned.

Please restrict further comments about this theater's review to this thread.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-18-2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame on you Brad, you know better than to go see any movie at AMC Mesquite 30 without the Hippinator running it. [Razz]

This movie looks only enjoyable because Ryan Reynolds is in it. Oh yeah, Dane Cook too.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to check out this film. One of my best friends is an assistant manager at our local Red Lobster. He really wants to see this movie. But it isn't playing at our Carmike location. It's at the mall's suck-plex instead. This one will probably end up being one of those shows I finally get to see on DVD.

About AMC locations, It's pretty rare that I encounter good show quality there. The largest four theaters at Quail Springs 24 in Oklahoma City are pretty decent. But the last few times I've been there I've been stuck in some smaller auditorium with surround speakers mounted in the ceiling. Arrgh!
[Mad] [thumbsdown] [bs]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-18-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally made Brad pay to see a movie. I RULE!

Waiting =  -

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rule that I will never ever ever step foot in any AMC theatre ever again. Brad now knows why too.

Waiting.. will eventually make it to see this one I hope. Althought it's already being pulled from theatres.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with the AMC rule. AMC has to be the only chain in a town before I will see a movie at that chain again. Though my reasons are more personal than anything.

My staff now wants to start that game at work. I told them no. I was then informed if they did it where there were no cameras (ie the bathroom and the locker room) then what management knows won't hurt them. Hopefully they will have common sense and not start it, though one of my employees already got batwinged from a friend of his.

Surprisingly we are loosing Waiting after this evening. We still do a bit of business on our last showing of the evening, all the college students dropping by to see it. Aww well that just means I'm going to have to drag myself to work on my day off so I can see it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: