Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hey you, you suck! (AKA: Outing bad film handlers) (Page 86)

This topic comprises 100 pages: 1  2  3  ...  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  ...  98  99  100 

Author Topic: Hey you, you suck! (AKA: Outing bad film handlers)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This deserves to be noted on this thread.

AMC Mesquite 30

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good review, although I disagree that the projectionist should be the one responsible for entering the auditorium to determine the proper sound level. Everywhere that I have worked, this has been the responsibility of the ushers and not the projectionists. Sound "problems" (hum, buzz, missing channel, etc.) are a different issue and usually require someone with experience (i.e. not an usher) to troubleshoot, but simple level changes shouldn't require the projectionist to leave the booth. The usher should enter the auditorium, listen to the sound, and then use the phone or radio to alert the projectionist to what needs to be adjusted and to what extend. He should then re-enter the auditorium and listen to confim that the change had been made properly.

Too bad that theatre sucks.

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i went to see star wars, I went to see it at a regal cinema. After the 20 it took the movie about 5 min to start, i looked back and saw the film moveing and i could hear the projector trying to read sound off the leader and so there was a sound coming from the speakers. I was assuming that they left the large amount leader on from interlocking the movie. The first preview started out of frame. Then during the movie the entire film had these faint horizontal scratches.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say that I got a beautiful replacement print of History Of Violence. Brand new with NO lab splices. I had it on the platter in 45 minutes.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 01:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you "sucky" film handling "booth clowns" out there: Do you strike up your lamp so you can see to frame with? I'll make sure that your manager gives you HELL for doing that.

If you're too damned lazy to add on more leader since you had to frame in the trailers, or too damned lazy to change out a framing bulb, you really need to be commended for your absolute laziness, or your idiot trainer for the absolute mistraining that he performed on you!

-Monte

James Nash
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for James Nash   Author's Homepage   Email James Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TO WHOMEVER THRASHED A PRE SCREENED PRINT OF THE PRODUCERS:

What goes around, comes around.

I recieved my print of the producers, to open sunday, this evening around 9pm. Upon opening of the cans, here is what was found:
Reel 4 had head/tail of reel 2 on it
Reel 3 had head/tail of reel 6 on it
reel 2 had head/tail of reel 1 on it
reel 8 had head of reel 5 on it

no attatched trailer, no dts discs

cue tape still on in places. mis-splices throughout the print. Emulsion scratches, and a few creases in sections of the film.

And, the actual reel #1 was COMPLETELY MISSING.

This wins the award, of worst print ever recieved. We are working on finding out who this print came from, and I will abesolutly call you out on this.

It is unaccaptable to break down a print, and ship it off in this manner. If your projectionists are not capable of breaking down a print properly, then they shouldnt be allowed to do so.

Espescially around christmas, we all have enough to deal with. Tracking down missing reels of prints is pretty near the bottom of the "to do" list.

Have some self respect, common courtesey, and general pride in your work, and handle film correctly. If you cant, find another line of work.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is so far 86 pages of reasons why studios and exhibitors are trying to push for Digital projection.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
All I can say is so far 86 pages of reasons why studios and exhibitors are trying to push for Digital projection.
As Pogo once said: "We have met the enemy, and he is US". [Frown]

Pogo Book ("Pogo" cartoon book by Walt Kelly)

Unfortunately, Digital Cinema will not cure carelessness and neglect. And "dumb mistakes" by "mistaken dummies" may cost more to fix. [Roll Eyes]

[ 01-02-2006, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 03:18 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Los Banos Cinemas 6, you suck!

OH wait...That's my theater. Crap!
So I get home today, I'm chillaxing, I got my feet up trying to get warm. My phone rings. Great, it's work.
Apparantly, and this is an exact quote "it just popped off".

The beginning of the call actually went like this:
"Just to let you know, we're canceling the last show of Harry Potter tonight"

Why you may ask?

During the first trailer (a 30 second ad spot; yes we run ads, there's only one on the feature) a roller on the brain (AW3) "just popped off"...The way she made it sound it lept completely off the deck in an effort to escape or something.
The film then got caught on something or another and had a mini-brain wrap which stopped the show.

So, I tell her to just cut the stupid ad off and splice the next trailer on, change the rollers, and keep an eye on it.
Well it worked and you know what? No problems.

So what I'm thinking is somebody made a booboo threading.
How the hell you could possibly misthread an AW3 that bad is beyond me.
There's no possible way, even with one of those rollers off it would brain wrap. Scratch the print, yes, but not brain wrap.
Not if it's running at the correct speed.

EDIT: After speaking in depth with her about the incident the brain wrap was at least half the trailer pack. that's 2 trailers, about 5 minutes of film. There's no way 5 minutes of film wraps in under 30 seconds. NO WAY.
My theory is for one reason or another the feed arm got stuck and it just kept wraping and wrapping and when she finally started it, bamf!

This is frustrating though! I feel paranoid when I go home from work...I get phone calls when I'm off all the time.
Someone save me!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 04:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of wrap would it be then - a forward wrap, or a reverse wrap? Guess again, "junior" - when the platter isn't spinning when the film begins to be pulled, that center roll suddenly begins to shrink in awful fast and bad)

Bet it was a forward wrap since it popped off one of the brain rollers-usually the front one. She probably completely missed the payout finger assembly when threading, or had the platter turned off with the makeup button in.

Forward wrap is where the platter didn't take off at all, and the reverse wrap is where the platter was on continually.

Better get some wrap detectors on those AW3's then. Christie do have a wrap detector assembly made for those platters. STRONG has theirs as well that will fit on the Christies. Either one will do great justice for your theatre in controlling brainwraps..highly recommended.

..and sounds like you need to do some serious retraining up there, unless you want to remain in a paranoid state when calls come in every time you are home.

Organization is drastically needed there the way it sounds.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Monte.
Organization is needed. We all got lined up by the GM to get our chops busted last week for miscommunicating with each other.
Unfortunately it's turning into an us vs. them kind of thing.
There's me and another manager whom have been there for nearly 2 years and know the building and the staff very well and two from across town who don't seem to know much about anything but counting cash.

Anyhow, it's impossible to wrap 5 minutes of film in under 30 seconds. There's no possible way. It sounded like a backwrap to me.
It stalled during the first 30 seconds of the show.
As for wrap detectors it would never happen, company won't pay for them. But moreover this is the first brain wrap we've had since I started running this booth nearly 2 years ago. The only thing that competes is when my assistant broke down the wrong print and built it back up in a hurry making single sided splices, one of which folded, got stuck to an adjacent lap of film and caught in the brain.
That's it.

These mutants come over from across town and I've had more damn phone calls on my days off than ever!
They just called me right now looking for canned air to blow out their stupid LED board at THEIR theater!
Why? Why not just do what I do and buy some!
Crap!
</rant>

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Unfortunately it's turning into an us vs. them kind of thing.

Then, it's time for the GM to get the two locations together and issue a statment on "teamwork" - to get this "us vs.them" syndrome under control, for it will never completely go away but can be drastically reduced.

Get everbody on the same page of operations and get a plan of teamwork organization there so work can be easier for all.

Why make HELL for everybody when that one person points the finger and will not help out....?

-Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 04:30 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
I feel paranoid when I go home from work...I get phone calls when I'm off all the time.
Me too. But hey, MA BELL to the rescue. Caller ID is great for screening your calls from work. If you don't answer, their call doesn't count.....or something like that.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 11:30 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my situation, if I don't answer, the theater explodes.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Wolff - love your attitude. Like me: born and raised to "babysit" booth clowns who don't care. (lol) -Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 100 pages: 1  2  3  ...  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  ...  98  99  100 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: