Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (request) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (request)
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-03-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running this in November, This was re-released in 70mm last year, but does anyone know if new 35mm prints were also struck? And if so, do you know what digital format was used? If no 35mm prints were struck, I guess I will be getting one of the older reprints with Dolby SR that Turner struck in the mid-80s.

If anyone ran this last year in 35mm, please give a shout.

Frank

|  IP: Logged

Vernon Cramer
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Vernon Cramer   Email Vernon Cramer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

We tried to book this in 35mm earlier this year but were told there were currently no 35mm prints available, only 70mm (the couple of decent 35mm prints were locked up in the vault, the others were in bad shape and were "destroyed"). Now this was through Swank so the information was only as good as the source. I didn't go any further on this title as there were other oldies we were after as well.

Let me know what you find out.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 08:36 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Frank: When we ran a one-week engagement of "2001" at the tail end of 2001, it was a 70mm print. However, we did have a nice NEW 35mm print as a back-up. The print had SR.D for sure, and possibly other sound formats, but I didn't make any definitive notes on that, nor even the print number. However, I'd suggest contacting Warner Brothers Classics, here in L.A. (well, technically they are in Burbank, I guess) for information on prints from them. They were our source back then, and I suppose they must have some distribution rights, too...unless everything has been turned over to Swank...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Yes, there were some 35mm prints (run as backups) struck along with the two 70mm prints. Because this is a special screening that will not have paid admission, Warners Classics (Burbank office) wants us to go thru Swank, and Swank has to go back to Warners to get the print -- dumbest arrangement ever. As of this post, Warners has not gotten back to Swank with a definitive yes to the booking. When I told the girl at Swank that Keir Dullea was going to be at the screening, she didn't know who he was. NEVER DO NON-THEATRICAL BOOKINGS!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-02-2008 02:10 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1654 days since the last post.

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2008 02:10 AM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2001 : A Space Odyssey (2002)
Scope 2.40 (Pillarboxed to 2.2)
DTS / SDDS / SRD / SR (High Magenta)
10 Reels
Intermission at end of reel #6
Music over black film at head of reel #1 & #7 and tail of film (Approx. 3 mins)
141 minutes

System Notices

- posted 05-08-2010 08:55 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 736 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-08-2010 08:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner print #20082 is in beautiful condition and is as above. There are no DTS disks with it, but SRD and SDDS tracks are present, and the SR track is high-magenta.

R1 has 3:00 of music before the cut to Leo.

R6 ends with the intermission tag and fades out.

R7 starts with 2:19 of music before the cut to the image.

R8 ends with a fadeout

R10 ends with the modern WB logo with web site address (!), which fades out and is followed with 4:17 of music. There is a modern MPAA ratings tag ("G") at the end of R10.

Book this print! It looks great! [thumbsup]

System Notices

- posted 11-28-2012 07:54 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 935 days since the last post.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-28-2012 07:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and now the DCP

Movie arrives as 2 separate DCP's -- Part 1 and Part 2

2K -- Label says it's 1.85 [Eek!] but I'll confirm that when the KDM unlocks

Files are smaller than I expected -- 77GB total for both parts

Will post more info after KDM unlocks.

Will start a "chit-chat" thread in the Digital Forum -- so go there if you want to discuss -- or post here if you have handled this and just want to confirm/deny/add facts.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-29-2012 12:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"2001" DCP is actually 2.20:1, Letterboxed inside 1.85.

Part One starts with Overture on black screen, ends with "Intermission" card.

Part Two starts with Entr'Acte music on black screen, ends with about 4 minutes of music after "The End" appears on-screen.

Exact offsets coming soon.

Derek Young
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2012 07:35 AM      Profile for Derek Young   Email Derek Young       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny it is in DCI 1.85 as Lawrence and West Side Story both were DCI 2.39, but an early version of WSS was DCI 1.85.

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-04-2012 12:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2001 DCP
Labeled as "F" (Flat) but actual AR is 2.20:1 (1998x908)
This is better than cropping it to 2.39, but 2048x932 would have offered maximum resolution.
5.1 Audio

Part One
Starts with Overture on Black
MGM logo on-screen...........0:02:56
Intermission title card.........1:27:17
LFOA...............................1:27:43

Part Two
Starts with Entr'Acte on Black
Image on-screen................0:02:19
Credits start......................0:52:40
"The End" fades out............0:56:33*
--- Music continues on Black ---
LFOA...............................1:01:00

"Chit-chat" thread can be found here.

System Notices

- posted 02-17-2014 02:54 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 440 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-17-2014 02:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warners also has a 2003 print (print number begins with 2003something, although I do not have the full number). Details are the same as above, except that it is in worse physical condition and the optical track for reels 1-6 is mis-printed such that dialogue plays primarily through the left channel. There is also a white vertical line printed between the track and the picture on the left side (between the picture and track) Reels 7-10 are fine. I do not know about the SRD track. It is also missing the "intermission" title before the intermission.

You probably do not want this print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: