Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 2001: A Space Odyssey DCP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 2001: A Space Odyssey DCP
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-28-2012 08:00 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie arrives as 2 separate DCP's -- Part 1 and Part 2

2K composition -- Label says it's 1.85 -- [Eek!] -- and rumor has it this is just a glorified Bluray master.

Files are smaller than I expected -- 77GB total for both parts

Will post more info after KDM unlocks.

I posted the info that I have in the INFO thread.

This is the "chit-chat" thread.

---------------------------

Has anybody run this already?
Any comment on the aspect ratio or the seemingly-small file size?

|  IP: Logged

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2012 01:13 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds suspiciously like what happened when we got OKLAHOMA - it was a flat transfer of the 1988 Samuel Goldwyn re-issue. Letterboxed inside 1.85, and it was the general release version with the overture and intermission removed.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2012 02:07 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have not run 2001 as a DCP yet, but when we played Lawrence of Arabia in October, it was two separate DCPs. Part 1 started with the Overture and ended with the Intermission (followed by an on-screen countdown clock once the Intermission music concluded), while Part 2 started with the Entr'acte and ended with the Exit music.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-29-2012 06:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On-screen countdown clock?!? [puke]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2012 08:17 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they should add a permanent burned-in logo in the corner of the screen, but not too near the corner. People expect those theese days and they'll think that something's wrong if it's not there.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2012 11:24 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That speaks volumes!

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-29-2012 12:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2001 DCP is actually 2.20:1 Letterboxed inside 1.85.

I guess all of those unmanned multiplexed booths need it this way, or they'd end up cropping top/bottom if it was packaged full-width.

I hate to say, this is NOT a stunning example of Film-via-DCP, if you ask me. Looks like the "average" 35mm prints of this I've shown. I was hoping for a better result.

Part One starts with Overture on black screen, ends with "Intermission" card.

Part Two starts with Entr'Acte music on black screen, ends with about 4 minutes of music after "The End" appears on-screen.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-29-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
2K composition -- Label says it's 1.85 -- -- and rumor has it this is just a glorified Bluray master.

Files are smaller than I expected -- 77GB total for both parts

77GB is a pretty small size for any 2 hour movie in DCP format, much less for a movie as long at 2001.

My theory is Warner Bros. loves to compress the hell out of everything, even if they don't need to do so. I can recall other DCPs from them having relatively small sizes compared to DCPs from other studios.

BTW, the Blu-ray of 2001 is on a dual layered BD-50 disc, but the actual feature portion is the same VC-1 encode used on the HD-DVD (which had a capacity of only 30GB).

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2012 08:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
call me when the five front channel sound is actually encoded and retains the grandeur of the original 6-track soundmix. If I wanted the home video 5.1 mix, I'd just stay home and watch my bluray/DVD copy. [Shrug]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2012 09:44 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 2001 was never a true 5 screen channel mix. It was 4-track that expanded to 6 by combining L and C to make LC and R and C to make the RC channels. However, it did have full directional dialog as well as HAL's voice coming from the surrounds, something that's not apparent on the video's 5.1 mix.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2012 09:18 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we ran that DCP some time ago, it looked to me like an old HD transfer, not a bit like a new scan created for BluRay from 65mm elements. Actually the last 35mm release prints gave a better impression of 2001, although far removed from the original (non-intermediate, direct contact print) 70mm version.

Manny Knowles

- posted 01-17-2013 01:55 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
when we played Lawrence of Arabia in October, it was two separate DCPs. Part 1 started with the Overture and ended with the Intermission (followed by an on-screen countdown clock once the Intermission music concluded), while Part 2 started with the Entr'acte and ended with the Exit music.
For "Lawrence of Arabia" on DCP, the 15min Intermission clock is a separate DCP -- it is not "tied" to any of the actual movie parts -- so the whole thing actually comes in THREE parts, not two.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2013 06:52 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"My" LoA DCP has no countdown, but nice roadshow treatment with overture, Intermission text and entr'd'acte. -Well, that is - I think, it's the same band of music on both film parts.

What do You Guys think of the sound ? I find it very Sharp and maybe even better on the latest version BluRay.
Is any special to be done in connection with the CP650. I do not think, I have other possibilities than format 89. Have missed something here ?

Greetings from Denmark

Per

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-14-2014 06:02 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 403 days since the last post.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2014 06:02 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to this website announcement, the BFI (British Film Institute) will be the source of a new DCP of "2001" later this year. Let's hope that this one will have been done right! The announcement is tantalizingly short in details, such as will it be a 4K version, etc., but almost anything will be better than the low-rez version WB has been circulating recently.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: