Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony SRX R 515 yellow spot on the screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Sony SRX R 515 yellow spot on the screen
Jerzy Gwizdz
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Jerzy Gwizdz   Author's Homepage   Email Jerzy Gwizdz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
In the pictures, my problem.
You have an idea how eliminate it ?
 -
 -
The stain is invisible on the 3D lens
 -
The projector has worked 18,000 hours

All the best [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-09-2019 01:50 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your machine is clean, then this is most likely a gamma or uniformity issue.

Who is doing field service at your location? Ask them if they can do a gamma and uniformity calibration using the necessary equipment, like the PCAB-U and PCAB-G cameras. You can also buy those cameras yourself, but they're quite pricey.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2019 03:41 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel is mostly right, but I'd like to add:
In order to get the best possible result (especially in the darker parts, e.g. Grey2 etc) Cleaning of the Optical Block AND (very important) Adjustment of the Wavelengt filters (Black uniformity) is absolutely necessary prior to PCAB-G and -U. There are several bulletins on this issue, if Adjustment of wavelength filters has never been done the factory glue has to be removed.

Btw, your pictures are definitely lacking quality but I have the impression that the tech who installed your projector used to much lens shift, I see some severe Vignetting in the bottom right corner. Even if you have a silver screen >2.0 gain this is definitely not normal.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-09-2019 07:45 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vignetting/hot-spotting is definitively pretty terrible. It almost looks like some kind of flash was used to take the picture. Now, it could look worse on the photo than in real life.

Jerzy Gwizdz
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Jerzy Gwizdz   Author's Homepage   Email Jerzy Gwizdz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey
You're right the pictures are bad, in the near future I'll show you from the test
Full Screen Gray-2,
Full Screen Gray-8,
Full Screen Gray-10 in better quality
I hope that my technician will fix the problem.
Greetings

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 11:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure he plans and is able to perform ALL the steps Sascha mentions above. After 18.000hrs, a full clean and adjustment of the light-engine + PCAB-G and -U run is necessary to get it back to specs.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 05:21 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to hear your experience on the quarter-wavelength filters on the engine. I was trained to do so but then never got to perform any so I do not know what kind of improvement you can achieve when doing that.
Does the engine really need that adjustment after a number of hours? What is your experience on that?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-10-2019 06:06 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's important to maintain black level and reduces color blotches. After a few years of operation, the effect of a re-adjustment is clearly visible. The hot-glue is applied after initial factory adjustment and is meant to secure it during transport to the installation location. Afterwards, it is no longer necessary to fix the adjustment levers that way.

It won't fix a toasted T-Core, but it can make the difference between toast and non-toast.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-11-2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
I wonder what changes on the chips that affects polarisation. People may like that or not but I like the idea that those adjustments can be made on the field on a Sony. Yes, it gets dusty but yes you can clean it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-11-2019 04:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a mechanically adjustable element in front of the panels, so it suffers on/off, heat induced expansion and contraction. So, after some time of operation (and maybe earlier if you have many hours and/or all lamps active), it needs readjustment.
I guess on consumer devices, they are designed fixed and non-adjustable for cost reasons, so, after a while, the consumer beamer is beyond repair or can no longer be readjusted through color calibration alone.

- Carsten

Jerzy Gwizdz
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2019 12:39 PM      Profile for Jerzy Gwizdz   Author's Homepage   Email Jerzy Gwizdz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey
Promised photos in better quality [Wink]

-

-

My technician confirmed sascha's steps
I hope he knows what is going on?
[Wink]
greetings

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-14-2019 06:17 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like mentioned above by Sascha, Carsten and me... it looks like a traditional gamma/uniformity issue. So get your tech in and ask him to:

- Clean all relevant parts of the machine
- Black uniformity adjustments, if necessary
- PCAB-G and PCAB-U runs

Usually, that should fix the problems. If it doesn't, it's getting more expensive, because then your T-Core is probably toasted. Unfortunately, that is a somewhat common issue with the 515.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-15-2019 09:23 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First picture shows a big yellow spot in the middle. I thing you will need a new T-Core.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-15-2019 10:25 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, quite possibly.

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t002301.html

Jerzy - what software version is this 515 running, and do you know wether the cooling scheme has ever been adjusted? Is this a screen running many 3D shows, or with all 6 lamps on?

- Carsten

Jerzy Gwizdz
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2019 08:42 AM      Profile for Jerzy Gwizdz   Author's Homepage   Email Jerzy Gwizdz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Software version 2.51.1090
cooling has not changed yet
3D projections with 6 lamps about 30% of the total hours
2D projections with 4 lamps
The service arrives in the evening [Smile]

Jerzy

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: