Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi server SMPTE audio channel routing

Author Topic: Doremi server SMPTE audio channel routing
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-21-2018 12:58 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taken from here: http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t003065.html

No Leo, I mean this:

-

It's from an older training slide, it looks like the traditional Doremi GUI, it makes perfect sense to offer these three options - but I can't find it in 2.6.4 or 2.8.x ?

These settings haven't changed since many years, I read through the Doremi installer manuals many times, but I also don't understand why the set of channels is doubled in the custom mapping options below. I would understand the input numbers mean static routing for Interop, and the label names refer to SMPTE labels, but I don't think it works like this. Aside from the fact that most predefined mapping templates there do not make much sense anyway and a passthrough routing with hard wired or CP based soft routing looks more predictable.

-

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-22-2018 11:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As both of the Dolremi UIs with recent software versions simply don't mention SMPTE, I'm guessing the channel assignments you can set in the dialog screen I pasted in the other thread refer to output channels.

For example, if you choose the ISDCF template, then it will look at the channel metadata on an SMPTE DCP, and send LFE to 4, left back surround to 11, etc, regardless of where they are on the actual DCP. For Interop DCPs, and SMPTE ones that do not have channel labels, the server will not know which channel has what content anyways. If you want to re-route, all you can do is to say "send channel 7 on the DCP to output channel 15" (for example).

I'm puzzled as to what the difference is between "disabled" and "passthrough" on those options is, though - they both sound like they do the same thing.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: