Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco 32B Arc Wander

Author Topic: Barco 32B Arc Wander
Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2015 11:10 PM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been having a few Ushio's lately develop arc wander and/or a flicker. I run DXL-65BA's and 70BA's in my 32 depending on the time of the year and how the setting sun hits the screen. My 65BA I have in there now has developed what appears to be an arc wander at only 100 hours run time. If you put up a white test pattern you can see it from the first two rows, and you actually can notice it looking at the light in the booth. I was touching up the alignment and noticed it jumping around sporadically between .75 and 1 footlambert at a time while barely moving the bulb.

My 70BA's tend to come out looking a little better. However, they don't stay in as long as the 65's and I don't have to push them as hard to get 10-11 footlamberts on the screen. Maybe it's all relative. I have nearly 800 CFM at the projector and leave the fan on 10-15 minutes after extinguishing bulb.

But, I was curious if anyone has noticed a batch of ushios developing those symptoms lately? Maybe it's just me.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2015 11:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably your issue.

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2015 02:06 AM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad,

That actually was my issue at one point in time. I kept asking barco over and over why my 32 was eating bulbs like crazy. I wasn't even getting to half life before I was well below 50% light output. And it looked like on the anode that it was burning on the edge and up onto the anode's side. Ushio was probably getting tired of reading my warranty claims.

Funny thing was I had asked Barco if they had an adjustment for magnetic stabilization on the lamp house and was told they do not use magnets to stabilize the arc in a barco lamp house. Okay... Then a few weeks later they came out with that InfoT. The magnet that didn't exist now might be backwards. Sure enough mine was backwards. We switched it and finally got to experience the blue tail light that tells you your bulb is nearing end of warranty.

Everything seemed fine for the longest time until a couple of recent bulbs. Thats why I was thinking maybe we had a sour batch out there. But, I hadn't really heard of anyone complaining so I could have just gotten lucky I guess.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-03-2015 07:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this procedure to six, 32B units to correct the abnormal short life and hard striking on the 65BA bulbs used in these units.

Used a compass to identify polarity.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: