Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » error cat 862 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: error cat 862
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2015 02:37 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a problem with a dolby dss200 i get a error cat 862 i loose the picture, i do a reboot works fine after tha.t i replaced the short cat 6 cable in the back that connects the server and media blocks together last year when i had a pausing problem. i have it hooked to a nec2500 any ideas ? has this problem maybe every once in awhile

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 03:19 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hard to say it could be anything.
What software version are you running on your Dolby Server? Since it's connected to a series 1 NEC, you may not be able to upgrade past 4.3.5-13.
You can indeed reseat that cable to make sure your connection is fine.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2015 03:45 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Witch of the 2 errors do you get. Error between server and Cat or between Cat and projector?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-10-2015 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, there are two "link" cables. There is the exterior one that you can see and there is the interior one (same little blue cable) that you can't see. I'd reseat that interior cable. It is also advisable to reinstall the CAT862 software directly to the CAT862 via Software Update and tick the "reinstall all components". This will effectively wipe the CAT862 back to factory fresh and reinstall everything. You WILL need the proper KDM for the particular software you are running.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David's problem sounds similar, if not identical, to this one I had last month. Same server and media block, same projector. The only possible difference is in the software versions involved: on my setup they are 4.8.4.10 for the server and media block, 2.11 for the projector and 15.1 for the TI board.

I opened up a Dolby technical support ticket (if David wants to reference it in his own ticket, the case # is 00215299), but they couldn't replicate the fault when investigating. They asked me for a copy of the DCP that had started to play when the screen went blank, but I'd already deleted it. The way we left it was that if and when this happens again, I'll save the DCP(s) involved for future investigation. He clearly suspected a bad DCP, but I'm not sure, given that this DCP played on at least two other occasions without any problem.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2015 01:25 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info the server software is 4.7.2.1 projector firmware is 1.02

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 02:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So your projector has a gore board and is using TLS link encryption (if it didn't, you couldn't be using a software version later than 4.3.5-13, as Marco notes).

I'd be inclined to update all the relevant software and firmware to the latest versions (in particular, if your TI board firmware is pre-15.1, you're at high risk of having problems playing subtitled SMPTE DCPs), including a clean install of the cat862 firmware, as a first step. That having been said, mine are on the latest versions, and I'm still occasionally having a similar problem to the one you describe.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 03:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned, upgrade first.
Latest 4.8.5 introduces a few major fixes (and some major bugs as well I presume as Brad would say). Stil a bit too young though.

When everything is up to date, then you can troubleshoot. And yes, the internal blue cable as well as Steve suggests.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-10-2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, a GORE board and TLS encryption do not necessarily go together. The GORE part is not required though the server will "know" that there isn't an enclosure. However TLS is possible on the latter TI boards.

As for System 4.8.5.21...if you have a CAT862...there are no negatives to it and it is more stable than 4.8.4.10. If you have CAT745s, you'll lose the ability to shift the "secure clock" outside of normal range so make sure you have it in the range before the update.

Consider 4.8.5 a bug fix, not a feature provider. I've been running beta versions of it for some time...zero failures. The only feature that comes to mind on it is for Barco people, the DSS server will now find 40 Barco macros rather than just the first 14.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 05:04 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No mentions of the dreaded white screen of death? Took years to fix.

So what happens when the 745's clock drifts if no NTP is available? That is, after a couple of months... [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-10-2015 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The white screen falls under bug fixes.

As for clock drift...you can still set it within the +/- 6 minutes. However in 4.8.6, the CLI script will be fixed.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-11-2015 03:31 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, a big one though!
Oh, so the time adjustment is a brand new big!
Have they fixed the 862 showing the last frame while downloading logs from an Enigma? That was introduced with 4.8.4 if not mistaken.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-11-2015 10:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen that one. The clock thing on the CAT745 is not a big one since the fix is already in the works and anyone with a CAT745 doesn't have to worry about obtaining an update for it. Before updating to 4.8.5, make sure your CAT745 secure clock is in the range.

I'd consider a bigger deal is to put the CAT745 clock so it doesn't drift by resetting ITSELF on boot up via NTP or defer to the DSS200/DSS220 as the more accurate time. It can still follow the same "rules" of maximum per year so one can't cheat it. But Dolby needs to qualify each clock in terms of accuracy. The CAT745 is the least accurate and shouldn't be used as a reference for anything. Odds are, they could even have a routine where one "teaches" the clock its offset based on past adjustments.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-11-2015 01:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you need a CPL with a picture till the last frame. The last frame is retained while the logs get downloaded and disappears when "selecting" appears. Same with 745, I reckon, but the process is much faster so it does not really look like a problem.
Also, 99% of CPLs have black at the end and 99% of shows have black CPLs as final one, so it's not really a problem. But it's there!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2015 01:23 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always put a dowser close at the end of the feature and then a 5 second black with the lamp off part way through that. Any of those things will work around the issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: