Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 / NC2500S - Picture loss when skipping in playlist

Author Topic: DSS200 / NC2500S - Picture loss when skipping in playlist
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
System as follows:

Dolby DSS200 and cat862, with software version 4.8.4.10
NEC NC2500S, with software version 1.02 (BIOS) ; 2.11 (firmware and data) ; 15.1 (TI)
The two connected by dual-link SDI (obviously)

Occasionally, when I press the skip forward or skip back button in a playlist, the picture disappears. This happened once during a festival last week (thankfully during testing rather than the actual show), and has happened again just now. I had a 10-second DCP of a backdrop slide paused in the middle while someone was talking, and then pressed skip forward to start the actual show, which was the next DCP in the playlist. After pressing skip, the sound started as it should have done, but no picture.

Rebooting either the server or the projector in isolation doesn't solve the problem - I needed to do a full (as in, actually cutting the power supply for 20 seconds after shutdown) power-down reboot of both.

This leads me to suspect that the problem is with the interaction between the cat862 media block and the projector, because :

A - the audio plays, that comes out of the media block, and so the media block can't have frozen totally;

B - the picture doesn't come back if I simply soft-reboot the server (pressing ctrl+F1, then login, then "reboot"). My understanding is that doing that doesn't reboot the media block at all (because the power supply to it from the server's motherboard is maintained throughout the rebooting process), just the server sending data to it;

C - the picture doesn't come back if I reboot the projector without doing anything to the server, so the problem can't just be in the projector.

Other possibly relevant info:

A - none of the DCPs in the playlist that glitched either in the last incident or now were encrypted.

B - the last software updates were done in March and the problem only happened for the first time last week, and so I don't think it's a hard-coded bug in the software. If it is, the other circumstances needed for the bug to work only fell into place last week.

Anyone had this happen before, and if so any suggestions? I'm thinking that a clean reinstall of the cat862 firmware might be worth doing. Many thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2015 09:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of this and yes it is cat862 related. There is apparently some rare issue with only a few cat862s out there with this. Some display a black picture and others a white picture. Dolby version 4.7.1.6 is supposed to fix that, but I don't know much more than that. Give them a shout.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 09:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad. Case opened on dolbycustomer.com, and I'll report back on what they say.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2015 01:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4.7.1.6? No. That was never a release version (4.7.1.10 was) and no such fix was in there.

The white screen issue affected VERY few systems...we have just one and it will show itself upon boot up, not randomly or during a show...at least the one we have to deal with behaves that way. 4.8.5 is said to address that problem, finally.

I'm quite interested in this one though. I had a near identical description this past week but it wasn't after hitting an advance button but merely at show start for the day. Audio/no picture. Rebooting the server brought it back. They too are on 4.8.4.10 with a CAT862 system but it was a Christie series 2 projector. A quick check of the logs didn't revel anything to me so I chalked it up to a weird Enigma anomaly because I've seen that happen, though years ago. But you have a Series 1...no Enigma. It could still be TLS security related though.

I'm wondering if this is an unintended consequence of the recent "instant-start" feature that 4.8.4 brought about. I never had a problem nor heard of a similar problem until System 4.8.4 and that is a version we tested in our Beta sites for months before sending it out to theatres. I too have a ticket started on this one.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-14-2015 10:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about TLS too, because that system was previously on DS and was only changed to TLS in March. The scenario I was wondering about was some sort of TLS security handshake that takes place at the start of the playout for each individual DCP (hence the 1-2 second pause that happens when progressing from one DCP to the next in a playlist, even when things are working normally). Thanks to a bug either in the 862, the projector or both, when the skip button is pressed, that handshake doesn't complete successfully as far as the projector is concerned (so no picture), but the 862 believes that it has, therefore audio playout continues as normal.

But that wouldn't in itself explain why our DSS200/cat862/NC2500S combo worked happily and reliably for three months after the last round of software updates, and only started to do this last week. It also wouldn't explain completely why this only happens on some manual skips but not others. It seems that a specific set of circumstances need to be in place for this bug to act, and I haven't figured out what they all are yet.

Annoyingly, when our system gnarls up, it does so to a black screen, not a white one, so the audience was probably thinking that I'd forgotten to do something in yesterday's show. A white screen would at least say "technical problem" to everyone, loud and clear.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2015 11:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...there really isn't a pause for a couple of seconds when the show progresses...just the UI seems to pause. If you were to look at the screen as each clip starts, particularly previews were there is that green band...you'll see it up on screen immediately even thought the progress bar looks stopped for a moment. I think it merely is devoting resources to keeping the show going over the UI in exact update.

If you ever look at the logs on the Dolby side...the CAT862 and the projector are in constant communication and if the projector has a TLS problem, the server will see it from its side.

When an FWD/REV button is pressed, I don't know for sure how the handshaking is dealt with. It isn't "instant"...there is typically a pregnant pause there so I presume there is a bit of tidying up the various handshakes going on.

However, I'm inclined on this to thing it is a consequence of the fast-play feature.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: