Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Thor: The Dark World 3D "silver"

Author Topic: Thor: The Dark World 3D "silver"
Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it was discussed on here, but when Gravity 3D was released, it was one of the first movies (that I saw) to provide "silver" and "white" versions, based on the type of screen you have. (We have a Precision White screen.)

I'm assuming this means the different versions are color graded for optimal presentation depending on the screen?

It looks like Thor 2 3D only has a "silver" version available. I called Deluxe and they let me know that's the only version currently available. Is this everyone's experience? Also, does this mean they color graded it for silver screens and left it at that? Do they do that for most 3D releases when they don't make a "white" version?

|  IP: Logged

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Strube
I'm assuming this means the different versions are color graded for optimal presentation depending on the screen?
Correct. Also check out these earlier threads:
MIB3: White/Silver DCPs
Gravity 3D white and silver versions

quote: Mark Strube
Also, does this mean they color graded it for silver screens and left it at that?
I sure hope not - for example, Finland still has zero silver screens.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly I do not even know what they mean with 'white screen' It could mean Dolby 3D or Xpand/Volfoni shutter systems, as they use 'real' white screens, or polarizing systems with the new special 'low hotspot' screen materials from RealD/Stewart, etc.

Wether these mean different target brightness gradings or also different colour grading to accomodate for the 'blueish' blacks of silverscreens. Again, hard to believe they do that without proper communication what it stands for.

And why they'd need special gradings but not Dolby 3D or XpanD, etc.

Also, there should be so few Precision White Screens installed so far, I don't believe they will receive their own grading yet. Thus I am sure this is more a generic silver/white screen thing, not specifically going towards these new Precision White Screens.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably another ploy to push RealD, which requires silver screen. I meant to check out both versions of "Gravity" to see if I could tell a difference but never got around to it.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found it odd that the only version of Thor available is actually labeled "Silver" with no alternative available. Maybe the funding to make their "White" version got cut and it was too much to ask to relabel the DCP. [Roll Eyes]

quote: Mike Blakesley
This is probably another ploy to push RealD, which requires silver screen. I meant to check out both versions of "Gravity" to see if I could tell a difference but never got around to it.
Considering RealD is behind the Precision White screens, I doubt it. Although the existence of both versions to begin with could be partially due to them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: