Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Options for running intermission Music (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Options for running intermission Music
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 11:29 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are about to wire our theater so we can use the Dolby Show Library. We have 6 spread out booths and when we run the cable for the library I want to also run cable so we can run all of our Non-sync from one location. Right now we have a dvd player in each both to play music. It is all going to be run out to cp650 & 750's.

I just wanted to see how everybody handles this and also figure out what kind of cable would be best to run for this(not the Cat6 but for the non-sync).

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-28-2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thread

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, but I was talking about how to run it hardware wise not
what to play.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-28-2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate centralized non-sync music systems. If a theatre cannot cough up $200 or so per screen for a CD player, then it deserves to go out of business.

That said, the usual method is to use a distribution amplifier (Smart and Ultra-Stereo made/make these) and long runs of shielded cable. This often results in hum, as these systems are typically unbalanced. A better approach is to use transformers at either end to balance the signal and unbalance it at the processor end. Sadly, transformers are not cheap.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I hate centralized non-sync music systems. If a theatre cannot cough up $200 or so per screen for a CD player, then it deserves to go out of business.
Why do you hate centralized non-sync music? What is wrong with each auditorium having the same music at the same time? Small theaters it would be disturbing to have the hall flooded with 6 or 7 theaters all playing a different song at the sometime. I doubt you can be in more than one theater at the same time can you? So what is your beef on it?

If the system is set up right there will be no hum.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 08-28-2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to pick out music that is appropriate for the film being shown. Action films get different music from foreign films, etc. Also, I dislike the idea that if the theatre's one CD player fails, no theatre gets intermission music.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-28-2012 01:56 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This often results in hum, as these systems are typically unbalanced.
quote: Ron Funderburg
If the system is set up right there will be no hum.
Nonsequitur. His complaint is that hums occur in many instances of these installs, not that it happens in all of them.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 01:57 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OIC! I have done the same thing from time to time. I prefer music and a trivia slide show to the umm way we do it here. I don't like ad's in a theater other than static slide type advertising. Was just curious.

Chris, I wasn't saying his complaint was valid I was saying it doesn't happen when it is installed right.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 07:20 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component Engineering makes a transmitter/receiver music distribution system that works very well. One transmitter is installed at the CD/DVD/MP3/etc player, and one receiver is installed in each sound rack. The receivers are daisy-chained, so no need for home run from each sound rack back to the DA.

http://www.componentengineering.com/audio_dist.html

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-28-2012 07:34 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that a lot of cinema sound systems have gone to utilizing cat 5/6 ethernet cabling for most of the run, I'd think something similar for this would work pretty well. I'd imagine with having significantly shorter audio wiring, you'd have much less of a chance for the hum (but I've been wrong before [Smile] ).

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a hum problem, you could always use a ground loop isolator to stop it. Yes, I understand that "if wired properly" there will not be a hum. But, the ground loop isolator is a simple fix if the problem cannot be diagnosed.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 08-28-2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Component Engineering thing looks interesting. Is it a new product? I have not seen it before (although I have pretty much been out of the multiplex business for the last couple of years).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-29-2012 06:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can have a networked consumer-type media player installed for each screen.

Like a WD-TV. They can be configured to play from ethernet, or local storage (USB stick). All options there. You can also control them remotely, either all playing the same content, or each or some of them play individual playlists. It's certainly a bit more complicated to set-up than just a distributed audio wiring, but it may be worth it. The cost of about 80-100US$ per unit could be less, using the existing CAT6 cables, compared against a dedicated symmetrical analog cabling or the like.

Aditional bonus - these can also play images, video, etc. through the digital projector - intermission slides, ads, private photos if the auditorium is rented for a party or something.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2012 08:29 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Component Engineering thing looks interesting. Is it a new product?
Not at all. My first encounter with the system was over 12 years ago.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2012 01:53 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea to the cost of the Component Engineering system?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: