Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » elevator music... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: elevator music...
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-14-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you folks use to play your before-and-between-shows music on? CD's? Tape? MP3's? Something else? Nothing at all?

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just have a dvd player that plays a cd mix tape we make on a loop. Just something to avoid awkward silences.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 03:17 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use an original AppleTV. With the original ATV, the media is stored on the box itself. Even better, we control it via our iPhones.

There are a number of media boxes out there that can play just about every digital format you'll run across.

I've got a system I'll be replacing the ATV with. It's built around VLC and I'm writing an iPhone interface to manage it. The same machine will handle kicking off the automation, switching video inputs, etc.

Oh, but you need licensing before you can play most music. At the minimum, you'll need ASCAP and BMI licenses. That'll cover 90% of what you're likely to play.

Another theatre in town here didn't get licenses, and got pinged by ASCAP for something like $3,000. The licensing cost itself varies with the venue size. For theatres, it's usually the total number of seats.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-14-2011 03:32 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeberg 1000 Background Music System discs burnt to cd.
We get many requests for the title of the discs we use.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-14-2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen internet radio feeds from computers to the BMS setups for lobby/house music.

Some large circuits uses CinemaSounds, or similar sanctioned BMI/ASCAP main feeds to their network systems for BMS usage.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-14-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
Seeberg 1000 Background Music System
Now that's really cool, but doesn't it sound a bit "lo-fi" for this day and age? I'm just thinking that a recording on a low-RPM record can't be all that great.. or am I wrong? (Never heard one that I'm aware of so I have no experience with it at all.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2011 04:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Seeburg Background Music System is reserved only for VERY high end audio systems due to its awesomeness.

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-14-2011 05:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..with those records turning at 16-2/3 rpm, and with the audio signals with the RIAA curve enabled and prob reduced for the cutting stylus on the lacquers to keep within the freq range, the output from this unit can sound pretty good for an old mono system..

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-14-2011 06:14 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an MP3 player with the stuff I like to use loaded on it. Since I screen nothing but unadvertised private member screenings of Japanese films these days, and the content of the MP3 player is nothing but Japanese soundtracks, licensing for playback in this country is a non-issue.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 08:46 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank.

Those old Seeburg discs can sound ok but first need some processing to get the very best. I use Sound Forge to fudge around and the result is perfectly ok for background or non-sync use.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2011 09:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Seeburg recordings PD? If so, could someone post WAV files of them?

As for non-sync, I used CDs for years. Lately, I've been using losslessly compressed files an Ipod that I use only for non-sync music (my home listening is CDs and vinyl; in the car, I mostly listen to news). The Ipod is easier to carry around to different venues than a stack of CDs. (Of course, I now need to carry an assortment of 1/8" mini-phone to RCA, 1/4", and XLR adapter cables....)

For non-sync music, I tend to favor a mix of movie soundtracks, jazz, classical piano recordings, and vintage production music. The exact selection depends on the film and the venue, but the common theme is that it has to be background music which does not have a wide dynamic range or call too much attention to itself. I don't generally play anything with vocals.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 09:51 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to an online 'broadcast' of the Seeburg 1000 Background Music System. Not to sure on the PD rating of these but as they are available here I guess they are considered to be in the P.D.

Live Stream of the Seeburg 1000

Let me know what you think.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-14-2011 09:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Ian, do you just record off the stream?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 10:18 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John.
Yep, just do an analogue copy into Sound Forge and fool with it a bit then out to a CDA.
There are also some mp3's available already converted online somewhere. If I find them I'll throw up the link. These need a bit more noise reduction but are a good start.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-14-2011 10:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeburg MP3 downloads

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: