Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP Digital Sound Formats Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DCP Digital Sound Formats Question
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon what may seem like a stupid question from one who has not yet directly dealt with digital cinema.

What digital format is the sound? Does the server output a bit stream comparable to a 35mm reader that can be fed into an existing Dolby Digital and/or DTS processor, or is it a new digital format, or does the server output the discreet channels directly in analog, or none of above?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-17-2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a patron of the cinema and not a projectionist, I always wanted to know the same thing you had asked, Mitchell

-Claude

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 08:04 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A DCP contains an MXF audio file. The MXF file holds discrete audio channels in uncompressed WAV PCM format. So, 7.1 audio is literally 8 channels, no encoding or compression.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 08:36 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The discrete WAV files are then fed out of the server as a digital bitstream. Newer processors like the Dolby CP750 can accept this directly, but older processors can't so a DAC is used to convert the AES/EBU stream to an analogue signal that uses the same connection standard as DTS and so is accepted by the External 6-Track input on your processor of choice.

Since we use both DTS and D-Cinema (albeit DTS very rarely) we have a switcher that allows us to change between DCI and DTS from the front of the rack rather than continually switching the DB25 plugs at the back of the CP500.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-17-2012 08:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a MXF audio file is a totally new digital sound format making Dolby, DTS and SDDS sound processors obsolete with digital cinema. Am I correct to assume this?

-Claude

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MXF stands for Material Exchange Format and isn't specifically a type of audio file - instead it's simply a container for other files. Think of it as a box that is made to precise standards and can be opened by anybody who knows how.

A DCP contains two MXF files - one for audio and one for picture.

The audio MXF contains anywhere between 1 and 16 audio tracks, with one discrete track for each channel (in the same way that 70mm had discrete tracks rather than a matrix like optical Dolby Stereo). Each of these tracks is in the Broadcast Wave format (BWFF) with linear pulse-code modulation (LPCM). This is far from a totally new format - BWFF was first defined by the European Broadcasting Union in 1997 and is derived from the Waveform Audio File Format (WAV) that we all know and love and thank Microsoft and IBM for all the way back in 1991, and the PCM encoding dates to 1972.

The picture MXF file contains every frame of the film* stored each as an individual JPEG2000 file.

( * = or every frame of that particular "reel", but that's an unnecessary complication right now)

As to obsolescence though - yes, your DTS-6D will be obsolete on the same day your Cinemeccanica or Century or Simplex or Christie or Philips or Kinoton becomes obsolete.

I can't speak for SDDS because I have zero experience with the system and zero knowledge of the capabilities of its processors.

Basically though any film-only sound decoder or processor or playback system will be irrelevant in a digital-only cinema for very obvious and unsurprising reasons. Dolby's later processors will remain relevant even if you completely ignore the film options because, as I mentioned before, the D-Cinema server's AES/EBU sound output is directly accepted by the CP750 and can be very easily adapted for the External 6-Track (Format 11) input on the CP500 and CP650, as well as certain earlier models. Doremi supply their AUD-D2A unit expressly for this purpose and I imagine other vendors have such a unit too.

If SDDS processors ever had six-track-in for DTS than the same point stands for them.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-18-2012 09:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the D-Cinema server's AES/EBU sound output is directly accepted by the CP750 and can be very easily adapted for the External 6-Track (Format 11) input on the CP500 and CP650,
You do NOT need to use an outboard adapter for the CP650, you just need the CAT 790 Card. It will then accept the AES/EBU bitstreams directly.

That leaves your external 6-channel input available for other uses.

The only known drawback to the CAT 790 approach is that evidently some CP650/CAT790 combos can get a fit of "Robo-sound" on occasion. So far I haven't encountered it although others here have.

EDIT: See THIS THREAD

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2012 11:25 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, very true Tony, I mentally changed "can cause robosound" to "not possible" without realising.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2012 11:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other processors can use the USL eci60 interface unit to convert the digital stream into 6 channel analog to work with their aux 6 channel input setups.

CP500's will then use "Format 11" - the same format that DTS used.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-19-2012 12:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A weekly re-boot of the 650 seems to keep ROBOSOUND at bay.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2012 02:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not so John. I tried everything possible to prevent the ROBO SOUND on a 650. I have tried:

Never turning the 650 off
Powering the 650 off overnight
Power cycling the 650 off for 5 minutes at the end of each show

The more power cycles it was given, the more frequent ROBO SOUND attacked me.

Screw it...Format 11 to the rescue!
[thumbsup]

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2012 04:27 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Format 11 to the rescue!
Too true - although in our case it's more because it'd be a tad painful to replace our CP500-70 for the same amount of convenience and rack-space.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that the audio was PCM, but I'm surprised that it is not losslessly compressed in any way.

Maybe they feel that there's more hard drive space right now than there are CPU cycles to decode a compressed stream, but I see this as something that will most likely change in the foreseeable future.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2012 07:04 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would that be, Scott?

Already the soundtrack represents only a fraction of the storage and processor-time requirement relative to the picture, and that gap is only going to increase as resolution and frame-rates climb.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: