Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Robo Sound bug with CP650 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Robo Sound bug with CP650
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2012 09:44 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard mention of the CP650 exhibiting "Robo Sound" when processing an AES input signal. Is there a thread here that addresses this? I would like to know more about it and how it may or may not have been patched by Dolby.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2012 10:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is exclusive to running the audio from a server into a CP650 digitally (meaning not via the "dts input/format 11").

It happens. There is something on the cat790 that causes the issue. Dolby does not yet have a fix. Avoid this route. The only fix is to reboot the processor.

Unlike Steve's experiences, I can confirm it does happen in the middle of a movie as well as upon switching to the digital input.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2012 11:58 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Avoiding feeding digital AES straight from the server to the CP650 AES decoding input seems only possible if you decode the digital from the server with a DA converter and then input it into the CP650 analog in True?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2012 06:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll defer to Brad on this one...he was the one that told me it could (would) happen. Thus far, it has only happened on one of my CP650s. We ended up changing the CAT 790 board and the problem has not returned. However, it has spooked me enough to avoid wanting to use the CAT 790 as my DCinema input.

The problem is, if one has as combination film/DCinema booth, the CP650 is a VERY attractive unit since the theatre often already has the CP650 and possibly already has the CAT 790. If the theatre was wired for Surround-EX (as most mine were after it came out because it just didn't cost more to do it that way) then Surround 7.1 was/is essentially free too.

I'm still thinking that if one were to interrupt the pair-1 of the AES feed (e.g. have a relay in-line) that it would resync. However, my exposure to the problem has been minimal and I don't have any current systems exhibiting the problem to experiment with (the one I had was a new CAT 790...still in warranty so it was changed immediately).

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2012 07:46 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume this is different from what we used to call "tin can sound" which was when the cp650 would change inputs, the sound did kind of sound robotic, but to me it sounded like a radio playing inside of a tin can. We had 2 650's that would do that very infrequently. One had a 790 card, one did not (the other was a film system). The way to get rid of it, was to switch to a different style of input. If it was in NS, switch to format 10 and back, if you switched to another analog format, it would not stop. If it was an analog input, switch to digital, if it was a digital format, switch to analog. We had 10 650 units, and only the two ever did it.

I wonder if the two problems could be related. Bad revision of motherboard perhaps? Does it seem to only happen on certain units?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2012 10:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen a pattern, but it happens much too frequently for me to recommend anyone use the digital input on a 650. (Keep in mind my sample of 650s is significantly greater than Steve's, and also many times a manager may simply reboot the processor and never let their tech know.)

The DMA8, 750, ECI-60, and all other D-A converters do not suffer this issue. So long as the format 11 analog input is used on the 650, it won't happen.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-27-2012 11:33 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, is it just my impression or the 6ch input of the CP650 is much more noisy than, say, a CP750?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-30-2012 08:25 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've had the Robo-Sound here once or twice. [Frown]

Unfortunately all of my DMA8 inputs are occupied with other devices.

Originally, our DCI sound went to the DMA8 via an AES router, but that seemed to cause clocking errors (which caused "snits" in the surrounds). So, given my options, I'd rather have Robo-Sound once a year than to have clocking errors 100% of the time.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ug. Rebooting a CP650 takes significantly longer than rebooting a computer (or maybe even assembling one). It's something Dolby kind of might want to look at. Or perhaps they'll just leave it be, hoping everyone will buy new CP750s. But when the 750 develops a bug, don't hope for a fix on that one, either. Instead you'll have to get a new 850.

Dolby: hard at work on your side!

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2012 08:59 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So when saying robo sound, are we still talking distinguishable dialog, just robotic sounding? Just so I'm clear, I'm asking because one of my screens here has been giving off what almost sounds like white noise. We tried rebooting the 650, which would sometimes make the issue disappear...

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2012 09:42 PM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it happen on only one surround channel, but also on center. It sounds like the audio has been "bit-crunched" or "decimated." Sort of like at a very low bit-rate, but not exactly. Certainly distinguishable, but by no means listenable.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-18-2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, in the few screening rooms I have dealt with (one with a setup that has been in a home for over three years) haven't had this happen yet.

I hope it doesn't crop up at all because all the rooms I have done so far have to use the external 6ch input and I really don't want to go back and add a DMA8 (and rewrite the AMX code, and install extra serial cards for the AMX too.)

Fingers and toes crossed.....

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-20-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A thought on this issue:

What version(s) of the software does it crop up with?

With the other issue I am having with my CP650 at UCI I am wondering if this is another possible software bug.

Brad, have you considered "downdating" the software to 2.3.4.4 to see if the issue goes away?

Seems like a software issue since it only affects some processors and not others, and that a reboot cures it.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-21-2012 11:27 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've experienced this with CP650 v 2.3.6.6

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-21-2012 07:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
I've experienced this with CP650 v 2.3.6.6
Hmmmmmmmm....the same version giving me grief at UCI....

Manny, do you still have access to that CP650? If so, perhaps a "downdate" might help.

Brad and Steve, how about yours?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: