Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Looking for information on digital equipment dealers

Author Topic: Looking for information on digital equipment dealers
Jenny Sparks
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 07:42 AM      Profile for Jenny Sparks   Email Jenny Sparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who would be good to buy from and is there any used eqip out there yet??

In the virginia area

thanks

[ 04-06-2010, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-06-2010 08:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please change your subject title to something more descriptive (see forum rules on "teaser" subject titles).

As for dealers, you could start by asking whatever company or individual services your equipment and/or sells you supplies. Assuming that you are happy with your current supplier, that would probably be the best starting point.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-06-2010 08:17 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and possibly put the thread in the "Equipment Wanted/for Sale" section.

Good luck with your search.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-06-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Barco DP 100 in the for sale and wanted forum a while back. Around $30,000.

Jenny Sparks
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Jenny Sparks   Email Jenny Sparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry about misleading title??

Im not happy at all with the supplier Im using now, they are rude BUT never had any issues except they dont seem to be willing to even talk to me about digital. I think, they think, I cant afford it so they dont want to waste their time.

If anyone can point me to a good supplier, I would be greatfull

thanks

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny - the time limit to edit your posts here is ridiculously short, but you CAN edit your thread title anytime. Just go to your original post at the top of the thread and click the "edit" button on the right. Your thread title should be something like, "Looking for information on digital equipment dealers." The idea is so readers can know what your thread is about without having to click into it.

It must be a fairly common mistake for a seller to think you can't afford (or will never buy) something, so they don't want to waste time talking to you. It happened to me when I first got into the biz.

I was 22 years old. My partner was 21. We went to our first convention and started talking to some of the people at the trade show about upgrading our booth equipment. Two or three of the vendors just more or less blew us off because either they didn't think we could afford to do what we wanted to do, or we didn't have enough screens for them to bother with. (Probably both.) The vendor who did talk to us got our business and we wound up buying new seats from the same vendor a year after we upgraded the booth, and a popcorn machine a few years after that.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 10:04 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering when Adam was going to re-title and move this thread. [Smile]

We use Universal Cinema Services out of Texas as our main supplier and have had great service from them. Very friendly and extremely helpful.

As for our digital equipment, the owners went with Sonic Equipment Company out of Kansas for the acquisition and installation of the equipment.

I don't think you'll find too many used 2K projectors on the market just yet. Maybe in a year or 2 when the big chains convert some of their 2K screens to 4K, but even that may be iffy since they will more than likely put those units in some of their smaller venues/subruns.

You can also keep an eye on this thread for theatre closings and then try to inquire whether they had any digital projectors and maybe make an offer.

Logan Ayliffe
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 10:26 PM      Profile for Logan Ayliffe   Email Logan Ayliffe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can try Cinema Preservation Group in Asheville NC. They are close to you. They help small and non-profit theatres. They also sell digital as well. The number is 800.353.8417, or you can google them....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-07-2010 08:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cardinal Sound in Maryland has done excellent work in the mid-Atlantic area. You might check with them to see if they would service your region.

Another option would be Strong (formerly National Cinema Service). I don't know if they service your area, but I have worked with them in the New England area, and they have some very good people here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-07-2010 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny,

First off DO NOT BUY ANYTHING USED unless you are able to absorb the cost of very expensive upgrades! It could be extremely expensive for you to have to bring an older projector into 100% DCI compliance if DCI or distribution ever forces the issue. It may also not be possible to do so on some older projectors. The new generation 2 projectors and servers just now being released are all 100% compliant and will remain so for at least the next 10 years.

Secondly, You have e-mail! No, I'm not trying to sell you anything...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: