Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Projectors for DVD's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Projectors for DVD's
Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in purchasing a DPL projecter to project only DVD's. Two projectors I kind of like because of the high contrast ratings of over 2000:1. Both are Dells. The model 1100MP is rated at 800x600 resolution for about $800 and the 2300MP rated at 1024x768 resolution for about $1300.

Since DVD's are 800x480, is the $800 unit a better buy for me?

Larry

[ 03-17-2005, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Larry Myers ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-17-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD's are 720x480. Other than that I don't know too much about projectors, besides their lack of true HDTV capabiltiy (which you don't need).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-17-2005 08:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dell projectors are primarily designed for computing purposes, such as Powerpoint presentations and such for a board room audience. Such projectors are not really designed in mind for home theater, in spite of the DLP chips inside of some. I don't find their pictures nearly as bright as a home theater oriented video projector.

Granted, you're probably going to pay a good bit more for a real home theater video projector. On the upside, such products give you imagery closer to HD (at least the 720p version of it anyway) and perhaps in 16:9 ratio.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
800/16*9 = 450, so an 800x600 projector will be downsampling vertically for 16x9 DVDs. (Some people go out and get a 1.33x anamorphic lens to solve this problem, but the lens can easily cost as much as the projector and one might as well get a projector with a native 16x9 chip.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-18-2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can video projectors automatically snap back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 as required? My TV can do that, as long as there is a 16:9 flag in the video. Projectors are extremely weird, so I'm not sure about them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your budget?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-18-2005 06:03 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--a CRT projector can do that (just as a CRT monitor can) without losing resolution by changing the pattern of the scanning beam. DLP or LCD projectors use a fixed array of "pixels" and can't change image shape from the "native" configuration without either losing resolution or moving a different lens into place.

Unfortunately, CRT projectors are expensive and the image isn't very bright. In most cases, LCD or DLP would be a better choice for home use, unless you have a light-tight room and gain screen.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-18-2005 06:08 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
WTF RU doing up so early?

OBTW: Sony VPH-1252's rule! Hubba Hubba!

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

What I think you are saying is, you can't get max resolution from an anamorphic DVD DLP project image unless you use a Anamorphic lens. So if you set the DVD player to give you an anamorphic image, there is no way to adjust the projector to unsqueeze the image like in a wide screen TV.

I am more or less trying to figure out what a $2000 machine buys you vs a $1000 machine and if I want to get a DVD projector in the first place.

Larry

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to have to spend more than $2000 to get a good DLP projector, unless you go to the used market and get an industrial model with a couple of years on it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-18-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
You're going to have to spend more than $2000 to get a good DLP projector, unless you go to the used market and get an industrial model with a couple of years on it.

And that's for a single chip projector, which has the rotating color filter wheel that can sometimes have the "rainbow effect":

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aavprojectora_4.htm

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-18-2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have they solved the rainbow effect? I have been telling people to avoid DLP due to it's fabulous rainbow effect.

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I am not trying to dup film here. I am just wondering just how good you can get a DVD/Digital projector setup vs cost. On ebay, I actually see PRO digital theater projectors come up for sale every so often. They say originally $32,000 with an opening bid of $12,000 and maybe a "Buy it Now" for $21,500.

There must be another 3000 digital projectors on ebay ranging from around $800 to about $6000 with a few in the $10,000 range. Some new in the box and others are up to 4 years old.

Are any of these any good and would they at least match a typical $15 DVD resolution for resolution?

Larry

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-18-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbow effect only applies to single-chip DLP systems. The 3-chip [dlp] machines don't have that issue.

Some people notice it more than others. It doesn't bother me, personally, though I have noticed it more with B&W source material and with some video projectors more than others. Obviously, the 3-chip configuration is far preferably, but as far as I know, the "home" DLP machines are all single-chip models.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-18-2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could use an overhead projector to watch movies on like we discussed HERE.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: