Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Build your own home video projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Build your own home video projector
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, who's going to do this?

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20041113/

-

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-29-2004 04:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you go through all the trouble, the very poor contrast ratio (lots of flare) is obvious from the picture. [thumbsdown] Even if it works, who would really want to watch it? [puke] [dlp]

The idea of an LCD panel on an overhead projector has been around for years, and you could probably find old units sitting unused on shelves:

http://sd23.bc.ca/mec/presentationtech.html

quote:
COM-EQ-0090 consists of 2 parts: an InFocus colour LCD panel and an Elmo high-output overhead projector. The unit is designed with work with DOS/Windows computers but comes with adapters for Macintosh. The LCD will project 262,144 colours at 640x480. The image is reasonably bright and quite effective in a partially darkened room. It can be tricky to re-drive older Mac monitors from this system. Advantages: colour.
In the late 1980's, Kodak even once sold a unit called the "DataShow" projector!

MAC Show Report, May 1989

quote:
At SMUG we will soon be able to use the Kodak Datashow, a unit which
sits on an overhead projector and produces a black-and-white Mac screen
image on a projection screen. Kodak again showed this unit, which seems
to be the best of this type of device. (Of similar units shown by other
companies one year ago, only one is apparently still in production.)
Kodak has also announced a three-color projector. This is a complete
unit, about half the size of a carousel slide projector, which projects
a full-color image of the Mac II screen and which is suitable for use
in smaller rooms.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-29-2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The overhead projector / LCD panel idea has been around for a long time. I remember seeing self-contained LCD panels advertised in various magazines geared toward the people who want to hook up their laptop for a presentation years ago. Of course, they didn't come in at under $300. [Smile]

(Or what John said while I was reading the instructions!)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-29-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember as a student in the early '90s going to lectures with Powerpoint slides shown with an LCD panel that sat on top of a conventional overhead projector. It was OK for text-based slides with the odd graphic: I never saw full-motion video on it (that was beyond the capability of PCs in those days) and wouldn't have wanted to, either. That setup was nowhere near XGA resolution. The video projectors at that time were all 3-tube CRTs.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen the television sets with the big magnifying glass in front of them back in the 80s advertised (which would clearly look like crap), but I had never heard of this before. Oh well, just thought it was an interesting idea for those on a low budget that wanted video projection at home. (Surely light baffles could be devised to cut down on the contrast killers.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could get the InFocus X1 for around $900 US and the 4085 is not much more. Then you have to buy the component video adapters and you're all set.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-29-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I had seen the television sets with the big magnifying glass in front of them back in the 80s advertised (which would clearly look like crap), but I had never heard of this before. Oh well, just thought it was an interesting idea for those on a low budget that wanted video projection at home. (Surely light baffles could be devised to cut down on the contrast killers.)

I actually saw one of those in use on display at one of our electronic stores years ago. Yeah, the image was bigger but it looked like they were having to drive everything as bright as possable in order to get a useable image on screen. Plus the room had to be dark as possable to see the image. Don't know about color because they were using a black and white tv.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is mid-90's or earlier technology. A 640x480 image just won't give any good definition. I used to spec these for schools about 8-9 years ago, and the overhead projector panels were much cheaper than projectors. Now, I'm not sure those panels are even produced. Projectors are much, much easier.

The only place I still see the panels are special ones that work specifically with programmable TI calculators. In fact, I saw one of our math teachers using one today.

Anyone interested in trying this might want to ask around at local schools. They may have one on the back shelves taking up space.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there is a better site for this sort of thing with far more advanced stuff.....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12

While you're there there is also alot of other really great DIY high end audio related stuff.

Mark

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to correct Joe's teeny tiny little typo. I'm sure he meant to type Infocus 4805, not 4085. [Smile]

Ron Yost .. extremely happy Infocus X1 owner. The Magic Box! And the 4805 is even better!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-29-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the new Sanyo PLV-Z3...lens shift in x and y planes...16:9 out of the box too (1280 x 720).

SG

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i read about this at another forum and hear that unless you spend extra on a good projector the noise will make it not worth it. [Frown]

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 06:45 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I am not a fan of DLP cinema, I'm positive it's the way to go for video projectors. My brother bought a very small XGA DLP projector the other year and it's amazing. God knows what the new ones are capable of. I don't even have enough money to be let into the store.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the difference between the InFocus X1 and the 4805?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-14-2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually what these guys may be doing is using the LCD from a laptop with the backlight removed. The problem with LCD panels is that as they heat, the color will change.

JJ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: