Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FilmGuard, but is it Film-Tech (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FilmGuard, but is it Film-Tech
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this product manufactured by Film-Tech, or is this product just trading on Film Guard's good reputation?

quote:
FilmGuard® Reel Film Preservers (100-Pack) are easy to use, pressure sensitive and permanent. Each polyethylene disk features Corrosion Intercept® technology to actively absorb organic gases inside closed film canisters, protecting film from atmospheric gases and by-products of deterioration from the media itself. Simply adhere the preserver inside the top of your film canister or, for more protection, place in both the top and bottom of the canister. Stable pressure-sensitive acrylic adhesive holds the preservers in place.
  • Absorbs organic gases inside closed film canisters to protect film
  • Stable pressure-sensitive acrylic adhesive keeps preservers in place
  • For maximum protection, place in both the top and bottom of film canister
  • Material Polyethylene
  • Width (in.) 4.5

If not a Film-Tech product, I sure hope Brad trademarked/copyrighted "Film Guard" so that he can crush this product.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems the trademark has been canceled:
Filmguard Trademark Info

And is currently the trademark for a line of adult diapers?
Filmguard diapers?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2016 04:49 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So now that film is out of mainstream daily use can we finally find out the magic behind the screen? Some of us have been curious going on 17 years. I had one friend who swore that it smelled and had the partial consistency of trombone slide oil. Any chance on getting the story of how you came up with the idea and developed it over the years Brad? I think it would be a compelling story.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The links above don't work - apparently the search expires after a short time.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2016 11:04 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4806:grzmz1.1.1

Search 'filmguard'. The lubricant we all love is the second result, the adult diapers is the third.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2016 08:00 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah, how can the search expire when I didn't link to one?!

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

Pretty sure this link won't 'expire.'

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-30-2016 10:17 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it smells and feels exactly like one of the CRC lubricants - cannot remember which one right now.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2016 11:04 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
It seems the trademark has been canceled:
Filmguard Trademark Info

And is currently the trademark for a line of adult diapers?
Filmguard diapers?

Trademarks aren't single use. As the name implies, they are marks of a trade. Every business category can have a duplicate trademark. That's why Delta faucets and Delta airlines can both trademark "Delta."

I could open a pizza place and call it Filmguard and trademark that name.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, didn't mean to imply it was. I was mostly expressing my confusion about what the name 'Filmguard' could have to do with adult diapers.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-30-2016 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
I could open a pizza place and call it Filmguard and trademark that name.
No nuts, do it!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-30-2016 11:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a intellectual property attorney but it seems to me that anything else in the motion picture film industry would be close enough to be infringing in the sense of causing confusion. Look at the original post...the question is asked whether it was made by FT. That's proof of confusion right there.

A Filmguard pizza place...fine. Maybe even the x-ray protective sleeves for photo film using that name. But another product having to do with motion picture film handling and preservation? Infringing.

Note that it is not required to register a trademark to gain protection. But it is extremely helpful if you want to go after infringers.

But what about if you have registered it and cancelled it? I don't know about if it was intentionally cancelled. But if it simply expired, it does not mean rights were abandoned.

http://www.waltmire.com/2015/04/24/lapse-of-trademark-registration-is-not-abandonment/

The gist of that article:

The Court stated, “...cancellation of a trademark registration does not necessarily translate into abandonment of common law trademark rights.”

A trademark is abandoned if (1) its use in commerce has been discontinued (2) with no intent to resume use. The Lanham Act provides “[n]onuse for 3 consecutive years shall be prima facie evidence of abandonment….” 15 U.S.C. § 1127. This means that after three years of nonuse there is a presumption that the mark has been abandoned. But, the trademark owner can rebut that presumption by presenting evidence that during the three years the owner formulated an intent to resume use of the trademark in commerce.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 01:31 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are FilmGaurd and the media pads still produced and easily available? It's a while since I bought a bottle.

Thanks

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 12:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, yes, dealers and products are still listed on this site.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 07:42 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many of those dealers are actually still in business? I've emailed several over the last year or so about various different things I need and none have responded.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 10:44 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Permit the amateur to chime in again: Momentcatcher is alive and well. Can't speak for the other companies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: